Does this sound like an abcess?

acw295

Visit site
Pony came in from field yesterday suddenly lame and with very swollen hind leg. On the way from the field she was hopping lame to start with but got someone to get a hoof pick as her feet were very full of mud and stones and she was instantly much happier to move and only slightly lame on the swollen limb (she is shod in front only). She was very unhappy with me touching it though so called vet out as I was worried about soft tissue injury.

She reacted a bit to hoof testers but not in any conclusive way, does have a pulse in that leg too. Vet had a bit of a dig about but nothing found although she did have some grit in white line which vet has removed. Vet says it could be an abcess we've yet to find, could be bruising and the swelling is where she is non weight bearing or could be an infection in the leg although no sign of any injury and no mud fever/scabs anywhere (lymphangitis I guess?). On vets instructions I'm tubbing twice daily in epsom salts, packing hoof with epsom salts and covering with lintex, vetwrap and duct tape (not a wet poultice yet) and she is on bute and antiB's in case it is an infection in the leg. Vet says soft tissue injury unlikely due to the nature of the swelling but obviously can't rule it out entirely, I'm to report back in a few days and they'll decide next steps if no improvement.

She's on box rest but being walked out inhand to help circulation - I'm not normally a fan of box rest but her field is a long walk away, very wet and muddy and they've added a new horse yesterday so there is a lot of hooning going on and sorting out of pecking orders and I don't want her involved in that whilst she is on 3 legs! We do have a medical paddock near the yard but she is a muppet and goes absolutely crazy in there as she won't be on her own for a nanosecond - where as in her stable she is a bit mardy but relaxed as there are others in, so I think that's best until she is more comfortable at least :(

She has had a large abscess before in front hoof but it did present a bit differently - she was hopping lame then (looked like leg was hanging off) and abscess was easy to find, hot poulticed for a few days and no bute/antiB's needed although she did also have a fat leg then too - but this resolved as soon as the abscess was draining. This time she was similarly lame when trying to walk with stones in her feet but much less lame as soon as feet picked out, but she is resting leg and unhappy on it - athough there is improvement since she's had bute.

I'm tempted to get farrier to have a look in a couple of days if no progress to see if he can find anything? Is it common to have symptoms of abscess but not be able to locate it?

I've ridden for years but only in 4th year of ownership and I find it all a bit daunting when she isn't right (hence I do resort to vet much sooner than more experienced people might!)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If it is an abcess, out is best.

Stick a poultice om and turn out. And in the meantime call your farrier.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
sorry if you already know this but be careful not to tub over the coronet band as this will stop the abcess descending. May be obvious but lots make that mistake and wonder why the abscess is not emerging.

skn0404

Visit site
Could be that the abcess is very high in the hoof and may burst through the coronet band rather than out the bottom of the foot. i wouldn't give to mch bute, just enough to take the edge off, as if she's really damaged herself then being lame is natures way of making her rest that limb to give it time to recover so giving bute and taking away all the pain could mean she might damage herself more. Hope she start to perk up soon :)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sorry, OP - just read your post properly, rather than speed reading it.

Ignore what I said previously.

acw295

Visit site
Sorry, OP - just read your post properly, rather than speed reading it.

Ignore what I said previously.

The bit about turnout or the farrier? Or both? :)

Won't turn out yet due to the herd being very silly and not sure she could walk that far anyway - and getting her back again if there was an issue would also be a problem. But I do aim to get her out again asap.

I am tempted to see if my farrier can come out later in week though if no sign of abscess in next 48hrs?

Vet has said to update her before Thurs as they will come out again Thurs (no call out charge day) if worse or no better. I'd just feel happier to know what it is - this limbo state makes me very anxious :(

Bojangles

Visit site
As you know beau has had many abscess fingers crossed no more!! I would get farrier our sooner. Abscess can take weeks to come out. I dont use tantibiotic for it as it stops it from coming out

acw295

Visit site
Farrier has been this morning and he can find no signs of an abscess and thinks that the swelling in the leg is more indicative of lymphangitis :(. He said he can't rule out that something has penetrated the frog area and travelled up the leg but his instincts are that it isn't the hoof this time.

I've left a message to update the vet and booked in for Thurs (our no call out fee day) as she will have finished the antibiotics and had 5 days of bute by then - if it is infected leg my RI says it usually requires a longer course of antibiotics.

I am walking her out inhand for a good 20 mins twice a day and she is striding out - but with her very stiff looking "peg leg" - but she doesn't look footsore (but obv she is on the bute still).

Sigh
:(

acw295

Visit site
Just an update to complete the thread - vet back today and confirmed leg infection - lymphangitis type although not too severe and as caught early should resolve fine. She can go back on overnight turnout, continue with antiobiotics and come off the bute as moving well, and we review with vet on Monday.

Only worry is she has had a single cortizone shot today - so now I have the laminitis worry and am slightly (read very) freaking out :( but she is already managed for lami (muzzled, soaked hay, fit and not fat, low calorie fibre based feed with no mollasses, lami hoof supplement etc) so there's not much I can do. Apart from panic :(