Does this sound like cushings?

noblesteed

Visit site
18 year old horse, has had grass induced lami in the past.
Currently thin, losing weight and seems to run out of energy half way round a ride. Had to increase feed to compensate.
This week farrier has found sub-clinical laminitis (no symptoms just stretching of white line) but then after 2 days shoeless on grass (currently growing) horse is definitely slightly lame only in hind feet.
GOt vet coming to test for cushings.
SHould I be asking him to look for anything else while he's there?

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm afraid it does sound like Cushings.

It might be an idea to get him off the grass if you can as he sounds at imminent risk of full blown Laminitis. I'd definitely get your vet to confirm if he currently has laminitis.

The test results come back very quickly and I think you'll find his symptoms improve once you get started on Prascend.

Just to cover all bases though, how are his teeth? My 24 yr old started losing weight and the vet found a loose tooth which he pulled out but also she has no grinding surface to her teeth any more so can't cope with hay any more. 18 would be quite young to start having teeth issue however one of mine started losing them at that age so they are all different.

Good luck with the vet.

Becks01

Visit site
I would definitely get the test - not all cushing's cases are the "typical" symptoms like long hair / excessive drinking / sweating etc.... My vet fobbed me off for 18 months saying that all the symptoms I was describing weren't enough to test my boy (sugar sensitivity / digital pulses reacting / footiness / not building muscle how I would expect) until I lost my patience and told them to just get on with it. Anyway he did have it and I kick myself for not being pushier sooner - go with your gut instinct.

He's only 12 but thriving on prascend.

noblesteed

Visit site
Oh dear so we had the regular cushings test and the results came back negative! Scored only 22 on the scale - cushings is 29 points or over.
The vet thinks it a false negative and has recommended another, more expensive test that involves 2 separate blood samples. Any ideas anyone?
The horse is Iberian if that's any use, I know they are quite different sometimes!

JillA

Visit site
It isn't that unusual to get false negatives with the ACTH test - hormone pulses so if you are unlucky enough to get the sample between pulses you won't get a positive result. It does sound very much like Cushings to me, based on the two I have managed, and I would be asking the vet to let you try Prascend to see if it makes a difference to him (diagnosis by therapy). Two months should show any improvement, giving time to get through "the pergoide veil" the temporary reduction in appetite.
It is now generally accepted that up to 90% of laminitis cases are due to an underlying problem with the metabolism such as Cushings or Insulin Resistance so that is something your vet should be considering with a history of repeated episodes

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
You can get a free test if you search for talk about laminitis, you pay your vet to take the blood but the test is free if not already diagnosed. Its only for a certain period though I think April to October

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
If you do try pracsend start the dose very slowly, a quarter of a tablet for a few weeks then half for a few weeks depending on the dose the vet says to give

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The only advantage of retesting is giving you a 'current reading' to work with but they aren't always a good score compared to symptoms anyway. If vet thinks it is cushings I would ask to start on treatment and see if symptoms improve as a diagnostic.

Zuzzie

Visit site
I would ask the vet to put him on prascend trial straight away. Have a look at The Laminitis Site online - full of really helpful information.
I don't know what you are feeding but if he is losing weight then you need to do something about it. As a matter of fact, I just spoke to the feed expert at Dengie as my 24 year old gelding (who has just fought off EMS) is also losing weight. Because of the EMS he was on a strict diet which, although it helped get rid of the EMS, was not helping with his energy levels. So he can't have anything with sugar in it - they recommended Alfa A Molasses Free (about 5 scoops per day) and 3 mug fulls of Micronised Linseed plus a feed balancer. Perhaps you should review his diet but I recommend you speak to an expert at Dengie or whoever is providing your feed.

Leo Walker

Visit site
This week farrier has found sub-clinical laminitis (no symptoms just stretching of white line) but then after 2 days shoeless on grass (currently growing) horse is definitely slightly lame only in hind feet.

Get him off the grass now as an emergency. Mine didnt have cushings and was only 6, but this was the start of months of battling that ended up in me losing him :( The first signs were him being a bit footy over rough ground and my trimmer saying he had mild signs of LGL. Initially I moved yards and dieted him hard, but then he still came down with full blown lammi a few months later when he was a good weight and managed as a laminitic. Hopefully, and I dont say that lightly, it is cushings and treatment will get him right. But please dont under estimate how devastating lammi can be.

Micky

Visit site
As JillA said...plus Cushings (ppid) doesn't always have a high reading on the acth blood test, you treat what is presented in front of you..have a look at the laminitis site for lots of info and helpful advice..

meleeka

Visit site
My mare has Cushings and has only ever had laminitis in her hinds. She hasn't got any other symptoms either. I'm certain the diagnosis was correct as medicating her has eliminated any footiness for a couple of years now.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Oh dear so we had the regular cushings test and the results came back negative! Scored only 22 on the scale - cushings is 29 points or over.
The vet thinks it a false negative and has recommended another, more expensive test that involves 2 separate blood samples. Any ideas anyone?
The horse is Iberian if that's any use, I know they are quite different sometimes!

That happened with daughter's pony. ACTH test came back borderline. Did the much more expensive TRH test, readings sky high. So yes can be worth doing. We were convinced pony had Cushings but our vet wouldn't prescribe Prascend without a level to work from, hence doing the second test.

Hope you find out what's going on.