Does this sound like Cushings?

millikins

Visit site
Pony is a 21 year old Connie gelding who has been owned and ridden by daughter and myself for 13 or 14 years. I mentioned him in the "sharp" post, he has always been forward, fast and can be very strong.
Daughter took him out about 3 weeks ago, complained he felt "flat" and pulled himself up when cantering, perfectly willing to give it a go though. We thought maybe his boots were pinching as in need of a trim. Then we had that very dry weather so he's been ridden but not much faster work.
Took him out yesterday and same as before, still forward and willing, then pulls up.
Not lame, not laminitic, no heat or pulses, good feet.
Not overweight, has always been a poor doer and loses weight Feb/Mar but has been filling out normally now grass coming through.
Hanging on to his coat, but again normal for him.
Bright and alert in himself.
Stopped for a wee on hack yesterday, he has never done that in all the years we've had him.
Are vets visiting for blood tests? He isn't unwell but don't want to leave him with no end in sight to lockdown.
Thanks in advance.

windand rain

Visit site
How fit is he, has his work load changed, has his food changed, Does he have more turnout, is he starting to feel his age and getting stiff and sore. Cushings is always a possibility but there may be other reasons for running out of steam. Bloods are an excellent idea but get the vet to check him over from top to tail incase there is something else

millikins

Visit site
How fit is he, has his work load changed, has his food changed, Does he have more turnout, is he starting to feel his age and getting stiff and sore. Cushings is always a possibility but there may be other reasons for running out of steam. Bloods are an excellent idea but get the vet to check him over from top to tail incase there is something else

No to all of those :) He lives out, is barefoot and no change to food. Done less over winter but workload increased gently (I'm getting old too!) so not pushed. Up until last 3 weeks daughter and I were amazed that he really isn't showing his age at all, he was doing County level WHP last year.

racebuddy

Visit site
My boy had a virus not long ago not ideal in lockdown, had high temperature started on meds and haemotonic supplements, bloods done which showed virus xxx

millikins

Visit site
Thanks for replies. I'll see how he is over the weekend then give the vet a ring if he's the same. I wondered about a virus but he's had no other symptoms and when he pulls up he's not out of breath or in any way distressed. Could a bean do it, maybe cantering gets a bit sore? He's a greasy pony and does get a fairly disgusting willy, needs sedating to clean it.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Stopped for a wee on hack yesterday, he has never done that in all the years we've had him.

That was the same as mine, first symptom when he was developing Cushings. Get him tested to check. He also started sweating more than usual when hacking, especially on his neck.

zandp

Visit site
Excess weeing is a symptom, excess thirst and the inability to regulate temperature. You can normally get a voucher for a free test - or your vet will be able to tell you how it works.

oldie48

Visit site
The first sign I noticed with my old boy was he was drinking more and consequently his stable was wetter, if he'd been living out 24/7 I'd probably not have noticed and when tested his level was quite high. Definitely worth considering having him tested.