Does your cob ..

blitznbobs

Visit site
There's a book I want called Cobs Can by Omar Rabia - google it and you'll see some awesome pics!

He does - I'm competing at prelim and novice (First affilated in 10 days *Shudder*) and he has established direct transitions and lateral work at home (and has started changes -But these are admittedly a bit patchy)... Tiger Tim watch your back we're coming thru!

Blitz

JFTDWS

Visit site
My old lad used to do the odd novice test, but we were way more interested in jumping back in the day. And now I'm more interested in competing F (and ultimately D) than dressaging him :p

tinap

Visit site
If our old one counted as a cob (13.3hh coloured cob although no confirmed breeding) then yes! The daughter mainly jumped him but dabbled in dressage too. They normally scored mid- high 60%'s as he did lean quite a bit but managed to qualify for the Trailblazers finals a few times & held their own there without looking out of place x

SuperCoblet

Visit site
Mine does Novice and won it last week! :)

541385_10200680333069389_394709283_n.jpg

mrogers

Visit site
My bestie Nicola Stanton competes at Medium on her welsh sec D Midnight Flyer, last year she won elementary champion at the welsh championships and hopes to be at advanced medium by the end of the year

Tobiano

Visit site
There is someone on here ... will remember her username later and post again... who has a beautiful cob that does AMAZING dressage.

Found her! HunTheBun - have a look at one of her recent threads - awesome :)

Last edited:

Tobiano

Visit site
Lovely! Looks a lot like my sister's Irish cob mare. They do really really well at Prelim dressage and have now started a bit of Novice. Very similarly put together. Takes my sister quite a lot of hard work though! :)

**Vanner**

Visit site
Yep - we are doing prelim (some intro for team quest) and hoping to do our first affiliated by the end of this season.
I've not worked out how to put pics on the new forum from my phone! But will try.

ridefast

Visit site
dressage simply means training, why is it such a big deal that a cob can do it? Good training and any horse can do it

McCauley

Visit site
Yup... my traditional boy has competed in the Novice classes in the past and came home with some super comments and mid 60's scores (and sometimes more!). Although none is required in a novice test, he actually finds lateral work quite easy to do and is a super way to keep him listening to me and on the aids! He is very accurate on his markers and i had to be very careful not to ask him to transition up or down too early!!...even just thinking the next movement i have to be careful with as he seems to almost read my mind!...Ha Ha.. Plenty of marks to pick up there on accuracy ;). He's got a lovely fluid free walk too which is good as the walk marks are double!!

I always like to have a small fence in the arena too when schooling and just pop him over it too mid session and our trot work would improve as that hind end/impulsion would be working well underneath him..

You have a lovely put together little cob there,..nice and compact, just how i like them!

You go for it and have a wonderful time. :)

Last edited:

Teri

Visit site
Yep, this is a picture of my family's fantastic little cob.

Sorry about my personal scruffiness....I was a lot younger, and hungover and forgot my hairnet!!

Karl is great, he does take a lot of schooling to get him good - he does get on the forehand easily, he over bends and finds extension hard. However, he is so rewarding and when on top form, gets great comments and scores. We used to compete novice, and school elementary at home.
He used to regularly beat very competitive warm blood types. :)

And now he is teaching my little cousin the ropes!

littleshetland

Visit site
My little cob (15.1 hh and about 100years old) can work 'through' really well. She does lovely lateral work and flying changes - not too often these days tho due to her age.

Megibo

Visit site
Thanks for the replies all.

Lovely! Looks a lot like my sister's Irish cob mare. They do really really well at Prelim dressage and have now started a bit of Novice. Very similarly put together. Takes my sister quite a lot of hard work though! :)

Yes she's passported as Irish cob :)

She looks lazy and slow but is very keen, genuine and forward going under saddle so super trainable. Proper diamond in every way really!

dressage simply means training, why is it such a big deal that a cob can do it? Good training and any horse can do it

Because I'm told that we can't do it, because she's a cob, and I should get a warmblood or similar!

My instructor is confident we can be competing novice next year though and maybe even Elementary.

Thistle

Visit site
We do Prelim dressage - just done my first affiliated competition last week :)
Afriend has a 14hh HW hairy coloured trad cob, he competes at Medium affiliated and is training at Adv Med. He also events at intro and enjoys hunting. He can turn his hoof to anything and if it's snowy does ski jeering. (pulling someone behind him on skis)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Because I'm told that we can't do it, because she's a cob, and I should get a warmblood or similar!

My instructor is confident we can be competing novice next year though and maybe even Elementary.

I've had similar comments about F - "there's no point, he won't win" and "well you'd just get a wb for dressage, wouldn't you?". He's schooling elem/ edging towards medium, and we're about to start competing again. I don't aim to win, just put in a respectable performance and improve, maybe qualify for areas.

In summary, people are knobs. It's none of their business what you do, or what you do it on, and they can keep their opinions to themselves :p

Not that F's a cob, of course... But similar issue ;)

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My cobs have varying aspirations. This one wants to be a landscape gardener, her cv has gone to Alan Titchmarsh. The strimmer was running when she stuffed her face on it.

Alice60812018_zps8a806d4d.jpg

Ted is heading for the dressage arena, he has plenty of extension and nice paces. Unfortunately his brain and his feet don't seem to talk to one another very often.

26thjuly13005_zpsfcb43a53.jpg

Greylegs

Visit site
My chunky highland does very well at prelim and we have moved up to novice this year. Ignore the folks who tell you you can't do it and get on with it. You don't need a warmblood.