Does your farrier use new shoes each time...?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Or does he reuse them? I've had a couple of farriers reuse them and it's never really bothered me, but our farrier here has alienated some of his clients by using the same shoes (only once more)
Does your farrier do this? Would it bother you if he did? Are there any real reasons for NOT reusing shoes?
Thanks
smile.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
If the shoes are not too worn, there is no reason why they shouldn't be reused! A set will often go two shoeing cycles in the winter on my horse. Its cheaper and less wasteful.

Eira

Visit site
Dependent on the wear on the shoe he will refit or use new shoes ...

I personally don't care , If you ask for new shoes he'll shoe them with a new set , if you don't and the shoes are ok he will re-fit .

Doesn't bother me either way .. when Sol was being ridden she'd have a new fit everytime as there was un-even wear from her crippleness now she's retired he'll probably refit
smile.gif

basil99

Visit site
My farrier often says will you be doing the same amount of riding this time and he shoes according to what I say. I have never had a problem and the refits obviously cost me less so I am quite happy. As above in the winter a set of new shoes will generally be refitted once.

Jericho

Visit site
Mine has been known to reuse them up to 3 times (we have hardly any road work around here). Saves me a few pennies (probably about £5). He does reshape obviously if necessary and checks for un even wear. not bothered by it all and cant see why it would be a problem but happy to be enlightened if there is a good reason!

Eira

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on your farrier, my now ex farrier used to charge £2.50 less for refitting shoes than he would for a new set
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mines only £5 ish ... not a great sum
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

CrazyMare

Visit site
My farrier will refit shoes. They go back in the furnace though and are put on as if they are new again.

I trust his judgement - hes known her since the very start of his apprenticship (I used his trainer, then he got very expensive and close to retiring so I swapped when he qualified) and in all that time I've never had an issue with her feet.

I always get a new set in winter though - hunting is hard on her shoes.

coedcae

Visit site
I had a set of shoes put on last September 08, in Newmarket, they were specially made for my boy. And he has only just had a new set end of February 09. But I literally only do about 10 yrds of roadwork a day, all my hacking is on common land. My farrier says its better to re-use if possible. I was really sorry to see that set of shoes go
grin.gif

Hippona

Visit site
Mine tends to alternate- new set, then re-fit ....I leave it to my farrier, he's a good chap and doesnt rip me off.

It costs a tenner less if he re-fits.
If its a bit 'inbetween' he'll leave it to me to decide- I usually say go for new ones in this case.

Erehwemos

Visit site
Mine are re-used according to wear, and I trust his judgement on that (although if she has had substantial wear on them then I will mention that I think she'll need new when I book him). The cost of new is only £5 more expensive, so nothing to moan about really!

Quite often the 'wear' isnt on the shoe itself, its on the nail holes - they get very baggy after being reused a couple of times, and the nails dont hold so well! This is what I tend to find more with Elz, as opposed to wearing the shoe down.

miss_c

Visit site
My farrier refits if the shoes are not too worn. I don't do all that much roadwork with Genie so when she was shod yesterday it was the second time that the shoes had been refitted (third shoeing with them overall). I'm always happy with my farrier's work otherwise I wouldn't have him obviously! Plus I pay £55 for a refit, instead of £65 for new, so that is another bonus. Obviously if I felt it wasn't safe for her to have those shoes on I would ask for new but I trust my farrier's judgement.

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
It depends on the wear of the shoes. I will refit if the shoes are worn evenly and if the wear is minimal and the amount of work to be done with the horse will be coped with by the refitted shoes.

I always ask how much work they have done and intend to do if i am thinking of refitting. some horses refit a couple of times but when the nils holes become to worn (even if the shoe isnt) then i use new again.

I normally (if the horse is hot shod) clean the shoes up and reshape where appropriate using the forge.

Some clients horses never refit. Its just how it goes, i do whats best for the horse and for the client and i think its wasteful to use new metal when there is enough in the old shoe to be used again.

Shazzababs

Visit site
My farrier refits if there is enough wear left in the shoes. He charges less for a refit.

Occaisonally if I need some more spares (for emergencies at shoes or if I can't find a cast one), or the shoes don't quite have enough wear left on them he will have a new set and I will keep the old ones.

ch_martian

Visit site
My farrier will refit provided the shoes aren't too warn. He usually asks what I will be doing with my horse. If I'm likely to be doing a lot of road work then he will put on a new set. It only saves me £5 but its better than nothing.

SO1

Visit site
My farrier refits and charges less - I just go along with what he suggests as he is the expert not me!

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Monty only does light hacking on grass but needs shoes otherwise his feet fall off
crazy.gif
! My farrier often re-uses the same shoes. It doesn't bother me at all since my farrier is ace and has done wonders for Monty's feet and legs.

HenryandPeta

Visit site
My farrier will re-use the shoes if he can - sometimes just two of them, sometimes the entire set! Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I trust his judgement and he's been shoeing Henry for nearly 5 years now so really knows his feet.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Nope. Never had re-fits. We do too much road work; all our hacks involve fifty percent roads and we ride (usually!) every day. Also my mare has to have the hinds perfectly balanced laterally (can't even have road nails in) so it's even more of an issue for her.

loopylucifer

Visit site
what eva they need sometimes they do three shoeings esp if on semi retied ned. get charged the same regardless (shoes actually only cost a couple of ££s its the labour we pay for!!!!) quit happy with it

D

Donkeymad

My farrier will re-use a set dependant on wear. the price is not that much lower, about £2
frown.gif

Tiggy1

Visit site
Mine were re-used for about a year too.
We back onto a very large common and don't have any roads.
She is barefoot at the mo as not riding but will have new ones when they go back on

Fransurrey

Visit site
My farrier reuses them but he also re-works them. I did ask him to use new fronts this time as they'd been used twice already, but only because I'd done quite a bit of road-work and I won't refit a worn-looking shoe.