Does your fly spray actually work?

use a name

Visit site
Any that i have used dont seem to do anything!And what is this ''recipe flyspray'' people are talking about?Thanks for any replies!:D

Megibo

Visit site
yes-used deosect once and it was amazing.

now have leovet and is the only other thing that works, and even diluted 1 part leovet to three parts water (to try to make it last) it still keeps the flies away.

Also sprayed on the pony once when covered with horseflies at a PC rally-they dropped straight off and none came back. Infact it was so good everyone was borrowing it to relieve their poor horses !

Jackson

Visit site
I have naff off spray which works to an extent, but for example today, after beast had got a bit sweaty and gone through some water it had pretty much worn off :rolleyes:

I still think that lysterine stops him from getting an itchy mane and tail though, and flies don't like to land on it :D

use a name

Visit site
yes-used deosect once and it was amazing.

now have leovet and is the only other thing that works, and even diluted 1 part leovet to three parts water (to try to make it last) it still keeps the flies away.

Also sprayed on the pony once when covered with horseflies at a PC rally-they dropped straight off and none came back. Infact it was so good everyone was borrowing it to relieve their poor horses !

I'v been using the wrong one!:p

TinselTurkey

Visit site
I use the leovet Powerphaser fly spray and gel on my share horse who is a wuss with flies and I will never use any other make of fly spray as it works so well and the flies leave him alone :)

use a name

Visit site
I have naff off spray which works to an extent, but for example today, after beast had got a bit sweaty and gone through some water it had pretty much worn off :rolleyes:

I still think that lysterine stops him from getting an itchy mane and tail though, and flies don't like to land on it :D

the mouth wash?:confused::p

Megibo

Visit site
I use the leovet Powerphaser fly spray and gel on my share horse who is a wuss with flies and I will never use any other make of fly spray as it works so well and the flies leave him alone :)

see OP another vote for leovet ;) its very good stuff.

tinsel when you say you use the gel do you mean the white coloured stuff in the tub that comes with a sponge? i use that on faces etc

TinselTurkey

Visit site
see OP another vote for leovet ;) its very good stuff.

tinsel when you say you use the gel do you mean the white coloured stuff in the tub that comes with a sponge? i use that on faces etc

yes thats the one :)

Its not really a gel I don't think haha but I thought that was the best way to describe it.

I bought it to put on his face and its fab!

the only downside is that the smell lingers in the yard for a while after use haha!

Megibo

Visit site
yes thats the one :)

Its not really a gel I don't think haha but I thought that was the best way to describe it.

I bought it to put on his face and its fab!

the only downside is that the smell lingers in the yard for a while after use haha!

yeah i agree it is like gel if you wobble the pot! haha yeah a very powerful smell, my mare normally wrinkles her nose and stalks off but if you follow her she sighs and waits patiently! :D

Randonneuse

Stroud/Cirencester (but France originally!)
Visit site
I have used Emouchine forte on my pony for the last 13 years (since when I got him...) and it is the best fly repellent ever!
Can atay up to 5/6 days on with him living 24/7 out and doesn't come off with rain/sweat!

The only 2 bad things about it are...the smell is not to everyone's taste and it's black so does stain although it does wash off fairly easily after few days. (pony is chestnut and has faint black stripes, I dilute it with water and still work 100%)

bumblelion

Visit site
The only two which seem to work on mine are a homemade one (SSS, white vinegar and water) and coopers (I use every 3 days, if I'm unorganised and run out of SSS!)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
just to butt in. the leovet powerphaser caused 2 horse at my yard last yera to hvae major allergic reactions, it basically burned there hair and was terrible. required vet treatment and regular washes in special stuff to try and get the chemicals off them.
They were both TBs so maybe super sensitive but will never use it even though i have previuosly with good results

BentleyBelly

Visit site
Never found one that works on the flippin crab flies round here...not heard of this leovet...is it expensive?! I stopped using deosect as the toxicity scared me and I wouldn't say it was that great.

Last edited:

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Never found one that works on the flippin crab flies round here...not heard of this leovet...is it expensive?! I stopped using deosect as the toxicity scared me and I wouldn't say it was that great.

hehe ive just sold my cob to your area the people had him on a weeks trial just because of the nasty crab flys.. he never reacted once! :D

BentleyBelly

Visit site
hehe ive just sold my cob to your area the people had him on a weeks trial just because of the nasty crab flys.. he never reacted once! :D

I've never seen anything like them before moving here, they are vile and my boy stamps and bucks when they try and hide under his tail! I would happily pay a small fortune on a fly spray that keeps them away!!

Megibo

Visit site
just to butt in. the leovet powerphaser caused 2 horse at my yard last yera to hvae major allergic reactions, it basically burned there hair and was terrible. required vet treatment and regular washes in special stuff to try and get the chemicals off them.
They were both TBs so maybe super sensitive but will never use it even though i have previuosly with good results

you do have to patch test first as it's pretty strong stuff! have got a thick skinned native though so it's been okay on her so far very effective

Megibo

Visit site

leovet is on average 12ish quid for 500ml but it's work it and you don't need to use much as the flies really hate it and stay away in my experience. apart from other posters experience with the thoroughbreds never heard it not work but i would do a patch test first just to make sure

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I've never seen anything like them before moving here, they are vile and my boy stamps and bucks when they try and hide under his tail! I would happily pay a small fortune on a fly spray that keeps them away!!

vasaline apparently, applied either side of the hair line.. i told my lads new owners to try deosect, not sure if they did or not but they said he was fab and i was on the fone to her whilst she was picking one off and squishing it lol!

rambling

Visit site
Any that i have used dont seem to do anything!And what is this ''recipe flyspray'' people are talking about?Thanks for any replies!:D

I think there may be another thread with lots of recipes but heres mine

5 mls Citronella Oil
1 tsp Fairy Liquid
4 tsps Vinegar
2 tablespoons Methylated Spirits
1 cup Strong Cold Tea
Cold Water to 2 litres

I misremembered this so the Fairy is twice as dilute.

If you add a tablespoon of TCP to it it really stinks but it seems to work even better.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
I use the same recipe as rambling but this year added a bit of dettol as i saw it in another recipe. I think it works for a short time but as soo n as it dries in it is less effective. My next step is to get a bottle of skin so soft by avon and add it to it. I will try anything.
I am pleased with the hi vis ride on sheet I bought from aldis the other day, it protects the rear end and for the front end and middle, I ride one handed and use my schooling whip to swish around head, neck and along her sides. I get a wee rythm going and find it is the only way to deal with them. The flies are out in force just now and the clegs are getting worse :-(

NU ABO

Visit site
Everyone's talking about that Leovet one..... it never really worked for mum's TB, especially when out on hacks.

There's one really pretty track that is nice to hack down, if not for the damn horseflies that attack us all the time. I'm going to have to invest in one of those fly mask that attach to the bridle because they were literally attacking my poor boys face.

At the moment that one for us is the NAFoff Deet spray, it's expensive at £16.99 for 750ml (plus a free little 200ml spray bottle), but since it's keeping them off their bodies it's worth it.