DOES YOUR HORSE BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY AFTER CLIPPING?

chasingmytail

Visit site
We bought our lovely cob mare in January and she had a hunter clip. We hadn't clipped her again but as she's still got quick a thick coat and is very wet when being worked - poor thing, after much persuasion, we decided to have her clipped yesterday. I wanted just a trace clip but friend persuaded us to let her take it ALL off (except legs and head which she won't let you do).

Before I tell you what she did this evening - she has struggled with her right lead canter and sometimes becomes disunited (I still can't always spot it due to my inexperience!! - my daughter schools her) and as unbalanced has put in some small bunny hops/bucks - nothing major.

Anyway, this evening, we tacked her up and put a clean (not particularly thick) numnah on and my daughter took her in the school. Everything was going well UNTIL she asked for canter - on the LEFT lead - and she put in a couple of small bucks, stopped and reared. She has never reared and her previous owner assured us she'd never bucked or reared in the time she'd had her. I THINK she was disunited but it happened so quickly I can't be 100% sure. Anyway, my daughter carried on and after she'd settled down, she asked for canter again, this time she was definitely on the correct leg but she put in more small bucks - not rears. She really is not a malicious horse so something upset her.

Could it be she was feeling uncomfortable because she'd been completely clipped on her back and the numnah was not thick? We checked the numnah to make sure there was nothing underneath which could be hurting her. It's just too much of a coincidence that the very first time she's ridden after being clipped she behaves totally out of character.

Anybody else experienced this or has any explanation?:confused:

We're actually having her saddle checked on Tuesday - it came with her but as there's a saddle fitter coming to yard we'll get it checked.

MaisieMooandCometToo

Visit site
My mare's never behaved any differently after being clipped but we were told when we had her done that she might be a bit sharp to ride and/or that she might be a bit sensitive under the saddle the first time.

StormyMoments

Visit site
the thing you have to be careful of is that the short hairs get caught in the numnah and as the saddle moves back and forth as they do when ridden the hairs go upright being short and thick they stab into their back like thousands of needles so i dont really blame them for bucking or rearing i think i would too! if you have a sheep skin numnah that might help! :) good luck x

team barney

Visit site
Did you trim her whiskers? I know that really affects some horses, I won't ever trim them off but have known horses who have displayed various problems after having them trimmed. One became head-shy over night as a result of having no whiskers :(

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I found i had problems when i fully clipped my gelding. It was the first time he had been fully clipped (just left legs and half head on) took him out and he was tense, wouldnt go forwards and constantly bucked and bounced when i asked for canter. At first i thought it was his saddle as thats the only reason he would buck, after getting it checked saddler said nope not saddle. The only reason was the clip, so we had to walk him for 15mins before troting and cantering which worked great. The next year i opted to leave a saddle patch on to see if it was the full clip and he was perfectly normal with the saddle patch left on. I put it down to him being a bit of a sensitive sole and needing a bit more warmth and protection from the saddle.

chasingmytail

Visit site
I found i had problems when i fully clipped my gelding. It was the first time he had been fully clipped (just left legs and half head on) took him out and he was tense, wouldnt go forwards and constantly bucked and bounced when i asked for canter. At first i thought it was his saddle as thats the only reason he would buck, after getting it checked saddler said nope not saddle. The only reason was the clip, so we had to walk him for 15mins before troting and cantering which worked great. The next year i opted to leave a saddle patch on to see if it was the full clip and he was perfectly normal with the saddle patch left on. I put it down to him being a bit of a sensitive sole and needing a bit more warmth and protection from the saddle.

I'm convinced now that this is why she had a hunter clip when we got her. We'll definitely leave the saddle patch on next time. We'll get a sheepskin numnah and hope that does the trick.

Thank you all for your replies. Can always rely on H & H forum for help and advice.:D

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Id say she should settle in a few days with a sheepskin and a longer warm up just to make sure the backs nice and toasty :) I always do hunter clips now on any horse i clip, there not particularly nice when theres no saddle on but better to avoid problems :D

Tnavas

Visit site
A clip does make them a bit sharp for a while especially if you have removed the saddle area. Not generally advised to - short hairs and saddle friction can lead to ingroen hairs.

One of my PC pupils is having problems at the mo since clipping, he's bucked her off a couple of times.

H-C

New User
Visit site
We bought our lovely cob mare in January and she had a hunter clip. We hadn't clipped her again but as she's still got quick a thick coat and is very wet when being worked - poor thing, after much persuasion, we decided to have her clipped yesterday. I wanted just a trace clip but friend persuaded us to let her take it ALL off (except legs and head which she won't let you do).

Before I tell you what she did this evening - she has struggled with her right lead canter and sometimes becomes disunited (I still can't always spot it due to my inexperience!! - my daughter schools her) and as unbalanced has put in some small bunny hops/bucks - nothing major.

Anyway, this evening, we tacked her up and put a clean (not particularly thick) numnah on and my daughter took her in the school. Everything was going well UNTIL she asked for canter - on the LEFT lead - and she put in a couple of small bucks, stopped and reared. She has never reared and her previous owner assured us she'd never bucked or reared in the time she'd had her. I THINK she was disunited but it happened so quickly I can't be 100% sure. Anyway, my daughter carried on and after she'd settled down, she asked for canter again, this time she was definitely on the correct leg but she put in more small bucks - not rears. She really is not a malicious horse so something upset her.

Could it be she was feeling uncomfortable because she'd been completely clipped on her back and the numnah was not thick? We checked the numnah to make sure there was nothing underneath which could be hurting her. It's just too much of a coincidence that the very first time she's ridden after being clipped she behaves totally out of character.

Anybody else experienced this or has any explanation?:confused:

We're actually having her saddle checked on Tuesday - it came with her but as there's a saddle fitter coming to yard we'll get it checked.

H-C

New User
Visit site
I recently got my horse clipped also. Just a trace clip as it was his first time being clipped and he was quite nervous. Ever since that day he’s been acting up himself throwing some bucks in his transitions into canter and sometimes even in Trot. This is very strange as he was always very well mannered and quite in the arena. I had the vet out about a week ago to check his back and legs and she couldn’t see any sign of pain and her verdict was that he was just being ‘bold’ in response to his clip. I have been jump training him for a while now and wish to start competing but it is very frustrating for me as he has only started this habit of throwing bucks. Would anyone have any tips or advice as how to stop him from bucking in his transitions? I had a saddle fitted to him as well and it has recently been checked and came out with no problems whatsoever so this is all very confusing for me. Would appreciate any help!

Firefly9410

Visit site
HC you would be best to start a new thread about the bucking. It could be your horse has the energy to do it now but did not before. It would be hard work for us to go for a run wearing an overcoat so I am not surprised unclipped horses are quiet to ride.

Equi

Visit site
I always give my horses a full hot wash after being clipped because i know myself those pricky little hairs are a real pain when im covered in them! They still go out, roll then do a fantastic display of buckfarting. My 20yoshouldknowbetter boy was clipped a week or so ago and i declined a ride and let him loose in the arena and he looked like he would have been tremendous fun if i was in the saddle! Plods don't do it for me haha