Does your horse have a favourite?

flurryjuno

Visit site
Musings really as I'm currently mucking out and watching my mare with her pal, but she is OBSESSED with chestnut geldings. They could be 13hh or 17hh, ignoring her completely or point blank battering her and she'll still stand making kissy faces or staring longingly fields away. Anyone elses the same or is mine a weirdo?:D

peanut

Visit site
My mare is dreadfully fickle but she does seem attracted to the most handsome geldings on the yard ... sensible girl :)

Equi

Visit site
My mare is smart she attaches to the herd leaders and usually sticks by them. Doesn't get hassled by the younger ones then!

Circe

Visit site
My boy loves the grey mares, so much, that he was becoming dangerously obsessed when they were in the paddock next to him. Now they are a paddock away, hes more settled, but still likes a flirt when he passes by.
Kx

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
My boy is obsessed with the irish bay mare on the yard, which would be fine if facially she wasn't the spitting image of him!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Next-door-but-1 has a mid 20's highland mare, who is besotted with my gelding! She lives with a mare & gelding both similar size to her.
Their land abuts to mine at my furthest point & she will stand there by the fence whickering to him. She also stops in front of him if we go hacking together occasionally, dropping her knickers! Filthy moo.

Cf on the other hand, is fine with most, but has taken an instant dislike to a chestnut gelding who moved into next door yard just before xmas. Its 2 hands bigger then him & a poppet, but CF detests it & I've had to make sure he knows the electric fence IS working.
However, he loves his TF lots & she is not to go out of his sight, EVER :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
Not really no . . . Pops is a friendly soul and likes everyone - people, horses, dogs, cows, sheep and chickens . . . he did have a thing for my trainer's old horse (an ex racing TB who'd been trained up to Inter I at dressage) - that was a true bromance - but, otherwise, he just rubs along with all his horsey companions really.

P

Annagain

Visit site
We've got a geldings only yard but my boy is everybody's mate. He just loves them all and wants to say hello to every single one at every single opportunity. He's bottom of the pecking order, but all the ones at the top just seem to humour him unless it's something really important. If I'm getting him in and they're all at the gate it's like the parting of the red sea, but if I try to take my share horse (who's third in the pecking order through) the top two pull faces and terrify him! My boy is really sweet though, he goes past them so deferentially, with a stop for a little rub against one of them as if to say thank you. He escaped the other day and rather than head for the hay barn or feed room, he went round all the other stables to say hello to the other horses. He's definitely found the way to an easy life and it's to be polite and nice to all around you!

nianya

Visit site
My old mare used to find the studliest gelding in the group and convince him he really was a stud. Interestingly this was typically a mustangX, but that might've been a coincidence. My young mare adored her and has never really picked another favorite since she died. She'd prefer people generally.

Jazmyn101

Visit site
My mare is VERY dominant and pretty much hates every single horse at the yard. There have been 6 different horses in the stable next to her since she has been there and has hated them all apart from the sixth. He is a extremely laid back, not dominant at all gypsy cob and she loves him!

ihatework

Visit site
Mine is a pretty independent soul, generally not fussed by other horses.

That said she seems to particularly dislike coloured cobs and any pony!!

She recently went away for schooling while I was on hols and had a brief love affair with one of the event geldings - most unlike her!!

skint1

Visit site
My mare seems to like stocky dark pony types. She is fond of my chestnut TB gelding but in comparison to her reaction to a small dark handsome pony he is definitely in the "friend zone" :)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
my Ffin tends to like other geldings and is not worried about colour. My little gypsy cob, Moses, is a friendly soul and will chat to anyone, however when he saw another gypsy cob at a show, for the first time, it blew his little brain, could not take his eyes of the horse and wanted to drag me over to see the other horse. I am not sure why, however he might have thought it was his mum? Who knows?

Lintel

Visit site
My boy prefers his dinner over anyone.

But if there is no dinner on offer I'd say he prefers that company of people- but has a definite soft spot for little ponies!

Bojingles

Visit site
The comedy cob keeps herself to herself unless there's a gelding under four in the vicinity, in which case she flirts and bosses all day.

muckypony

Visit site
Anything - mares, geldings, people, head collars, wheelbarrows...

All three of mine are obsessed with anything and everything :D

smja

Visit site
My sister's horse loves foals/youngsters. They love him back, I think a few have been convinced he's their new mum!

AmiRobertson

Visit site
Weirdly dizzy (my tb who I lost 18months ago) was best mates with my sister in laws horse they adored one another and were rarely apart. Nearly two years ago we introduced saffy to them and they became a threesome. Dizzy was sadly PTS and we were on separate yards for nearly a year. Last summer we moved to current yard with sister in law and saffy and her horse star were literally licking one another I have never seen anything like it. They are best mates and get very upset if one is in the barn and the other out (which gets VERY annoying) and they are also top of their herd. Nothing comes between them!

Lillybob

Visit site
My mare is a bit ignorant towards the boys but she seems to be the favorite! There is one grey gelding who is very very attached to her. He's very protective and doesn't like any other boys near her and screams like a girl when I bring her in. It's funny because she doesn't like him! Ears are always back and she constantly tries to walk away and avoid him. Poor boy doesn't get the hint :(

Annagain

Visit site
Did anyone see the programme about the puppies last night. Stan, the rotty x mastiff meeting his brother after 7 months and recognising him from about 30m away was adorable - especially as he was very mastiff like and his brother was very rotty like so they wouldn't have looked like brothers to anyone who didn't know.

Mrs G

Visit site
My horse is friendly to most other horses and esp wants to play when he sees the ponies doing pony camp games (!) But his favourite, without a doubt, is my OH. Half of me loves the bromance between my hubby and my horse, the other half is JEALOUS, I had dreamed, hoped, planned and saved for decades to get a horse and he loves someone else....

trottingon

Visit site
My 11.2 gelding loves big mares, I'm talking 17hh plus!! If he's in a field next to the big mares he has them bemused watching him over the fence strutting his stuff at them ha ha, bless him he'd have no chance with any of them!!! ������