Does your horse have a funny habit?

Ginger Bear

Visit site
My gelding turns his lip up at dinner time & also likes hanging on to the back of my hood when walking him to or from his field or puts his head on your back & pushed you along.. if you turn round to look at him he stops & tries to make out he wasn't doing it..

My mums mare likes to dunk her own hay in the water bucket even though its soaked before..

1ST1

Visit site
Mine is a real cheeky monkey

He always stands on three feet whenever he sees a treat (biscuits with vanilla cream filling in particular).

He soaks his own hay. He picks up a mouthful of hay, goes to the automatic waterer, fills the waterer, dips the hay in water and then eats the hay! He does it every time, with each mouthful of hay and never gets tired of this game :D

As soon as you undo the straps of his rugs, he takes it off himself by pulling with his teeth and he looks absolutely pleased with himself...

He also undoes all kinds of knots and drives his groom crazy!

Piglet

Visit site
My horse loves what I call "snuggles", when I groom him he leans into me, I put my arms around his neck and he drops his chin on my shoulder and starts heavy breathing!! NH people would probably say "wrong thing to do as he is doing it 'cos he wants to and you need to push him away" fair point but that is the only thing he asks for. It started when he was on his own in the field and stable for a couple of months, I felt sorry for him!!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
If I try to pull my horses mane, she hooks her head over my shoulder and gives me a big 'cuddle', as she knows I find it too cute and so I stop 'cos I feel sorry for her!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
she backs into to you in the stable lifts her hind leg up for a titty rub , if you move either way she sides steps and puts her bum to you to carry on . even in the field. SHE NEVER WANTS TO KICK YOU . just a between the titty rub

she also points to where she wants you to scratch her

Kittykins

Visit site
Mine waves her front legs around (one at a time) almost all the time: when she's waiting to be led in; when she wants her food; when she's eating her food; when she wants attention... very strange.

She's also an escape artist: there's no guarantee that the field you put her in in the morning will be the one she's in when you return in the afternoon. She's also brought herself into the stableyard when i was running late once or twice, and has also figured out how to duck under the chain across her stable door, so if you stop paying her attention she just wanders out and starts helping herself to any food left around the yard.

At least life is never dull with her! I could never sell her just because she's so funny and personable, to be honest.

caramel

Visit site
yes... at feed times he makes this really cute little noise,(really hard to explain) and throws his head up and down, gradually getting louder and louder! He then steps back and throws hid head from side to side!

Square

Visit site
My mare pulls faces when shes bored, doesn't matter if your in the manege schooling (she'll do it at walk, trot and canter!), if shes tied up, turned out or in the stable.

Couple of photo's of her pulling the faces :)

n1122750902_30304446_6665.jpg

n1122750902_30304443_5291.jpg

siant2

Visit site
Old mare used to push her dinner bowl (with food in!) backwards and then carefully lift her hind legs to stand in it with both hinds!!! That showed me what she thought of her feed!!! Would then only eat it if hand fed!!! And refused to eat carrots or apples!!! STRANGE HORSE

New mare takes my bag off the manger, stands on it with one foot and opens the zip with her teeth and then takes out my lunch and eats the sandwiches and apple!!! (I was thinking I kept leaving my bag open until i spotted her opening my bag!!!) NAUGHTY HORSE

9tails

Visit site
My mare grabs my trouser leg if she's finished breakfast and wants out while I'm still skipping out. Can be hit or miss if I'm wearing breeches but fairly safe with sweatpants.

Roxana

Visit site
Sendero has a ritual before eating his dinner every night. He dances with his frontlegs and nods his head, then eats. It's weird as his food is always already in the bowl??? Oh well...

JustKickOn

Visit site
When in season, she like to grab a coat, or jods or whatever material she can get hold of and just hold it in her mouth! Not so great in summer, as usually she catches a bit of skin(!).

starryeyed

Visit site
One of ours is always putting the lights on and off. He also gives you his headcollar in the morning - it's hung up by his door and he takes it off the hook and shakes it about for you to take it and put it on so he can go outside. If he's staying in longer than usual and he gets annoyed that you don't take it, he throws it into the yard (along with anything else he can get at!)

Another one pulls the most appealing faces around food, he does these big butter-wouldn't-melt eyes and does little kissy faces, fluttering his eyelashes!!

The pony has many tricks, one of which includes him climbing gates - he climbs up the bars until he's really high up, he terrifies me doing it but has never slipped. He also can undo every kind of knot, every kind of gate - everything has to be locked shut around him to stop him letting everyone run riot.

StormyMoments

Visit site
my 2 year old chucks her feed bucket at me in the morning, or she puts it in her water bucket a watches it bob about :eek:

taz likes zips and does them up and down although the other day he caught his lip and stopped doing it rather sharply :eek: he also grabs clothes for attention and likes to lick your face, groom and eat your hair... such a strange beast :eek:

only_me

Visit site
Oh yes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bwkxw6-BE8
billyplaying.jpg

He always does this, goes through lead ropes like they are falling off trees! He is a serial player, leave anything within reach of him and it will have been thrown across the yard - I found his water tub half way down the field one day! I have been met with a wet sponge in my face - not only does he throw things, he has a very accurate aim :mad:

He is also a serial chewer, partly the reason he doesn't have a martingale, and the bridle must go on last as otherwise the reins will be chewed!!

Last edited:

tormor

Visit site
When on a hack my boy will only poo in the bushes and when I'm on the yard if I'm not with him he neighs the whole time. At work one horse rolls his tounge when he's bored!

Jackson

Visit site
on the way home from hacking, Jack will do a very good impression of a spanish walk even though that is something that he has never been taught. At first it was hilarious, but occasionally inappropriate so I would push him on in to trot.. The fist time he tried it in trot I think he got the shock of his life!

Leave anything on his stable door, and it will end up in a water bucket :rolleyes:

He will take a massive mouthful of water, hold it in for ages so it's all warm and slimy, then open his gob with no warning all over you :mad:

When you go to put his headcollar on, you have to let him put his nose through before you lift it up his face or he will headbutt you every time :eek:

JessandCharlie

Visit site
At my old yard I used to have a sort of 'shelf' to hang feed buckets on at chest below Ozzy's chest height. He'd eat his dinner and then poo in it...every day, without fail. (and just about everywhere else :rolleyes:)

He also likes to put his nose in small spaces :confused: when we went to try him, we took him back to his stable afterwards and I stood in front of him with my hat in my hands. I suddenly feel it get very heavy and look round to see a ginger head in my hat, leaning. If I have a sandwich at the yard I sometimes sit on te fence eating... He'll sidle over and put his nose in the sandwich box in my lap and fall asleep there :p

And he likes to chew electrics tape. Strange creature.

J&C

CobSunshine

Visit site
My boy cat stretches when your rideing him sometimes. while drinking he gets as much water in his mouth then spits it out at you. He allso likes wipeing his mouth on you after he has finished eating. Every time i go to brush his tail he trumps lol.

Tonty Tont

Visit site
Tont follows me around the field, but as soon as I turn around to watch him, he stops :p He looks away, as if he's pretending he wasn't following me :D

When I first go down to see him, he won't let me hug him until he's had his mint. He keeps stepping back so he can see my hands, and then wait's patiently for it :rolleyes: :p