Does your horse have a lighter or heavier rug on in the stable?

Blizzard

Visit site
Im thinking of bringing Beau in from tonight, he is out in a 370g rhino full neck rug, do you thik he will be ok with this on inside too?

His stable is indoor but does get a bit draughty as he is near the door, however they are always warmer than outside, with him not moving around though I figured the 370g would make up for that?

Saves fidding with stable rugs on a cold moring,!

Just wondering what you guys are doing and do you think my suggestion for Beau will be about right?

He usually lives out.

ecrozier

Visit site
I'm sure he@d be fine if you leave him in that tbh. My pony stays in her TO rug overnight, J has currently got a MW stable rug on at night purely because he is so hairy again, and when I clip him again next week I want to be able to go into his HW stable rug so he can tell the difference! Plus their stables aren't draughty at all.

Baileysno1

Visit site
I'm sure he'll be fine Ryu and Bails have half clips necks and bellies off are in HW turnouts with necks and HW stables Bails has hes fleece polo on underneath at night but hes very old and pathetic, they are toastie but not boling. Ryu has a duvet for when it gets baltic and bails will have a LW stable rug underneath the HW I used this maybe for a week last year as it was super cold, we'll have to see what happens this year.

keeperscottage

Visit site
I don't change my rugs although I was horrified when I first saw other people leaving their turnouts on inside the stable. However, just think, if they were living out they'd have the same rug on and in the winter it's probably just as cold in a stable as it is in a field (only drier!). Leaving turnout rugs on saves so much time when you've four horses to do! Even when they get wet, so long as the rug is a good quality waterproof one, the rug dries a lot quicker on the horse than draping it over bales of hay, as I used to!

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
Personally I wouldnt have him in all night and then turn him out in the same rug all day. He wont get the benifit and will either end up too hot at night or too cold during the day.
Think if you went out in the morning in your PJ's after wearing them all night, youd freeze!

Arch has a heavy weight on during the day in the field. Then at night he has a duvet underneath a big thick stable rug.

muffinino

Visit site
Titan is a gypsy cob with a furry coat but has his neck, bib & belly clipped. I have been changing from MW half neck turnout to fleece during the night lately because it's been tipping with rain but not cold, so it's been warmer inside than out as it's dry. But last night I left his outdoor rug on overnight because it went down to -4 and I figure that if he's outside he's moving around and eating, inside he can't move around too much and only has so much hay he can eat to keep warm. The air is the same temperature in the barn his stable is in as it is outside as there is no door.

Heidi1

Visit site
All mine stay in turnouts, can't see the point in taking a warm rug off to put a cold one on, they are happy and to be honest the two TB's have kept weight on better this winter so far.............if it's warm in the stable block I tend to run the necks down on a couple of mine that do get warm over night, but other than that they are fine......... Saves a hell of a lot of time too...........

DuckToller

Visit site
Agree with above - mine all stay in same turnout as I mainly have Fal Pros which are supposed to stay on as they are breathable. If its a very mild night I sometimes swap my old pony's rug for a stable rug as his outdoor rug is quite heavy with a half a neck and he has a middle stable inside which is probably warmer than the end stables. But if I can find him a midweight 5'9 Fal Pro on eBay I won't be changing it anymore!

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
My Beau has a lighter one. I go by what I was told by OH - what his granny says to him "if you keep your coat on inside you wont feel the benefit when you go out". If I make him really cosy in the stable, he will feel the cold more outside. And he just gets his outdoor over his indoor, and ifs its REALLY cold he has 2 stables rugs - and then again the outdoor would go on top when he goes out.

suef1

Visit site
But if you bring a horse in and then take a rug off it surely it will get cold? Youre bringing a horse into a stable, limiting it's movement when the temperature is dropping substantially. I would bring the horse in and put something over the top (provided the rug isnt wet of course). In the morning you can whip it off and turn them out- that way the temperature has risen a bit by the time you turn them out and they are moving around again to get their body temperature up

rachier

Visit site
Been reading this thread - just wondering if anybody checks under rugs daily for injuries - i can admit to not doing this all the time (part livery) but 2 months ago a friends TB came in with a hardly noticeable deep puncture wound into his shoulder that required hospitalisation. Had she not changed rugs that day it would have been catastrophic considering hes only 5.

Would every1 still be checking underneath?

I do this every day now (see him everyday even though hes on part livery) as he is quite accident prone.

muffinino

Visit site
I usually take mine off when I bring in because Titan loves a good scratch! If anyone saw me standing behind him scratching his back legs they might get a bit worried, lol! I usually get a plastic curry comb and scratch his neck, chest and back when he's had his rug on all day and night. It also means I can check him over.

checkmate1

Visit site
I change rugs and put a warmer one at night and altough they may be sheltered from rain indoors, on a night like this (its half 6 and almost -1degrees already) horse will get cold just standing around in the stable.

rara007

Visit site
I change rugs. I wouldn't like to leave them without changing, it would be hard to tell if the rug leaked. I'm sure its BHS to put a warmer one on. Ours have MW''s in and out, (don't know weights) Pip and Ginga don't have necks on in the stable, but they do fine.

(All ponies blanket clipped and have full necks in and out unless stated.)

reddie

Visit site
I leave his turnout rug on all the time. As he gets ridden most days, it does get taken off regularly. i usually check how warm he feels underneath it as well and that it hasn't leaked.

Nari

Visit site
Warmer rugs in the stable at night. The temperature drops & they can't more around much so I think they need to have more or thicker rugs.

dwi

Visit site
Surely it depends alot on your stable? Daisy's current stable is really old and has brick walls about a foot thick, is underneath the hay loft and inside a barn. All these things come together to mean that its the toastiest stable I've ever been in. There is a noticeable difference in air temperature when you walk in through the door. Compare this to one stable she was in which had thin walls and was in a draughty corner and there is no comparison. I don't think you can generalise too much about these things bit rather its a case of seeing how your horse feels and adjusting accordingly

Chex

Visit site
I often leave the same rug on over night. I figure that although its colder outside than in, its always a good 5 degrees lower at night than during the day, so it all works out ok.

MagicMelon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Think if you went out in the morning in your PJ's after wearing them all night, youd freeze!

[/ QUOTE ]

But she's not talking thin rugs, she's talking about a cosy one - itd be like you sleeping in a jacket and going out in it, Id say you'd stay pretty cosy.

Shiraz

Visit site
Heavier as they can't move around much at night. change rugs too as it allows you to check horse all over and lets their withers "breathe".

I think rugs should be changed daily (or at least removed and replaced). The arguements for not changing seem to hang on it being more convenient not to; be it time or drying. If I wore my wet clothes to bed they would be dry in the morning and I wouldn't have to get changed for work saving me time but I don't think I'd be very comfy!!