Does your horse have any endearing or odd habits?

LegOn

Visit site
My boy pre-eats... like those dogs you see who start to swim when you put them over water... he starts to lick and chew and look like he is eating before he gets his head into his trough or bucket! Its so cute.

He also has to listen to everything he cant see... he looks like a noisy neighbour with his ear pressed up to the wall trying to figure out what the gossip is!! His face is priceless!

paddy555

Visit site
my youngster had a habit that became far from endearing. He came at 7 months and up to age 2 everything was fine. After lots of youngsters I thought I could deal with anything, won't lead, won't stop, rears, bites, paws, kicks, barges. Problem was he did none of those.

each of our fields has a human bath built into a wall with a ballcock.They have survived generations of youngsters over many years.

As we drove home one day looking at the fields to check the horses we noticed orange bits. Then we noticed a lake forming. The grid on the bath protecting the ball valve had been removed, the ball cock arm ripped off and the dear little darling had run around the field with his new trophy bashing it onto the ground so it broke up.

We laughed,, how amusing and went off to buy another ballcock. OH fitted it. He thought it was so funny. What a clever little horse. A repeat performance the next day and he didn't think the horse was quite so funny. :oops:

He did away with the ballcock, put a fitting into the side of the bath and hid a tap so we had to fill the bath manually. The fitting was quite small and unobtrusive.
Next day we came home, no orange but the flood again. The dear little sh1t had ripped the fitting out of the bath side.

Next fitting was put in flush with the bath. No more problems except we still had the flood when I turned the tap on and then went away and forgot it for a few hours.

Youngster needed to move fields. He will have grown out of that habit we kidded ourselves. Next day change of field then orange bits and a flood. OH by now was starting to get seriously pissed off.

So after 30 odd years of baths filling themselves I ended up with taps, having to fill them and then having to try and remember to switch the taps off.

gemisastar

Visit site
Mine whinnies and nickers at me a lot. I always thought it was purely food related or wanting to go (out for a ride when tacked up or back to the field afterwards, she isn't the most patient) but she did it at me today when I was walking past her in the field which was adorable - and she is the least cuddly horse ever!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
If I leave anything in his reach by the stable door he picks it up and throws his head around with it between his teeth! Tried to work out how to add the video of this but not sure how to do it if someone can advise?!

He chases a tennis ball if I throw it, getting more excited the more I throw! He circles it after chasing after it but hasn’t quite worked out the picking it up and fetching it back for me yet!

He is now 18 years old and having owned him for 12 years his playfulness has never left him!

I've only shared YouTube videos, but presumably you can do the same with other videos:

When on the YouTube page, click the share button,
copy the video link,
back on HHO click the dots next to the smiley symbol above the reply box,
click Media,
paste the video link,
click Insert, and a media link shows up in the reply box,
to be on the safe side, click the Preview button to check so that a video will show up in your reply when you post it.

mini_b

Visit site
Dave also likes to sit like a dog.

95886170_10158834095429739_1612231290130530304_n.jpg

So. Cute.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
As we drove home one day looking at the fields to check the horses we noticed orange bits. Then we noticed a lake forming. The grid on the bath protecting the ball valve had been removed, the ball cock arm ripped off and the dear little darling had run around the field with his new trophy bashing it onto the ground so it broke up.

We laughed,, how amusing and went off to buy another ballcock. OH fitted it. He thought it was so funny. What a clever little horse. A repeat performance the next day and he didn't think the horse was quite so funny. :oops:.

I knew a horse that went to stay overnight at another yard which had automatic water troughs in the stables. He must have stood all night with his nose on the lever as the whole place was flooded in the morning :eek: I don't think he was allowed back!

paddy555

Visit site
Dave also likes to sit like a dog.

95886170_10158834095429739_1612231290130530304_n.jpg
possibly it is a pony thing as that is how my pony changes sides when rolling. Doesn't get up and go down again like normal horses but gets into that sitting position and then shifts around still sitting to roll on the other side. Perhaps she is just a lazy pony.

lovely pic of Dave. :D

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
I've only shared YouTube videos, but presumably you can do the same with other videos:

When on the YouTube page, click the share button,
copy the video link,
back on HHO click the dots next to the smiley symbol above the reply box,
click Media,
paste the video link,
click Insert, and a media link shows up in the reply box,
to be on the safe side, click the Preview button to check so that a video will show up in your reply when you post it.

Thank you! I finally managed to upload from YouTube ?

Equi

Visit site
Mine all seem to be pretty boring really. Recently gelded 3yo will always without fail throw his bucket into his pals stable when hes done. The mares are boring, they don't do anything though the youngest mare thinks shes a stallion so MUST sniff everyones stable before she goes out. Older gelding is pretty basic..bless him. The only thing i like about the mins is that i can walk into the field 9/10 and say IN and they all go in the gate and i will find them all in their own stables standing waiting for the handful of chaff they get as a reward lol

Big spud is pretty boring too.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
my boy had two foals in the stable next to him. When they've finished their meal , they pick their bowls up and throw then out over the stable door. Sometimes the bigger foal makes the smaller foal wear it as a hat first before it gets thrown out.

It's very cute , I'll try and catch it on camera one day!