Does your horse have Cushing’s/EMS?

Old Bat

Visit site
Done twice, 2 out of 4 ponies have Cushings, not a bad strike rate (!) but both recognised at very early onset. One lives only a few miles from Moreton Morrell if you want to see her for a case study....

fchance

New User
Visit site
Thank you everyone for contributing! :) Of course il let you know my findings, they should be concluded early next year! :) x

TheBigPony

Visit site
Just a quick thought on this - why are you only asking the opinions of owners of horses/ponies with EMS/Cushings - these are the people who are going to know what causes it. Should you not be asking all horse onwers to see what the prevelance of understanding is and maybe compare general understanding with owners of horses with the condition?

I also didn't complete the rank questions fully because some of the items are symptons not causes and therefore you can't rank them.

Sorry I am not being picky just trying to help.

fchance

New User
Visit site
Just a quick thought on this - why are you only asking the opinions of owners of horses/ponies with EMS/Cushings - these are the people who are going to know what causes it. Should you not be asking all horse onwers to see what the prevelance of understanding is and maybe compare general understanding with owners of horses with the condition?

I also didn't complete the rank questions fully because some of the items are symptoms not causes and therefore you can't rank them.

Sorry I am not being picky just trying to help.

Not a prob, all comments welcomed :)

This research is as a result of a previous study, as on the analysis of results i found that many owners of diagnosed horses/ ponies did not know the difference between the 2 conditions. For example there has been a few cases where EC has been confused for EMS, resulting in an expensive vet bill along with medication that wasn't needed and could in fact be treated with diet and exercise.

Regarding the ranking questions, these were pulled from the previous research on what owners believe are the causes/ signs of the conditions.

I hope that clears any confusion up?

Thanks.