Does your horse lick you alot?

Bens_Mum

Visit site
My new horse tries to lick my arms constantly and my hands. I thought it might be the salt so I bought him a lick which he likes but is still doing it. He does it when im leading him and in the stable. Any ideas?? I've never come across a horse that does it quite so much he also likes picking things up in his mouth alot but he is 10 so no baby. He doesn't do it to anyone else and has only really started it in the last week since he has become more settled in (had him about a month) just wondered why and if I should discourage it?

Lexie81

Visit site
Mine loves to lick my hands, she will follow me round trying to, she also has a real thing for my 7 year old little girls lovely blonde hair - she just wants to lick and nibble her head all the time but only gently and never hurts her-if my daughter comes into the field to poo pick she wears a baseball cap to stop her!!. I got Milly a salt lick too but it made no difference. I would be interested to know why she does it!

Cliqmo

Visit site
It could just be affectionate but maybe check she is getting all her vits and mins in the feed and supplements she is getting, just in case??

Sparkles

Visit site
Hairycob cow licks you everywhere haha, licking my chaps and jods are his personal fave lol!
And my boots toe when I'm sat on him haha.

xRobyn

Visit site
Mine does, I too wonder if it's a lack of salt but have no-where to put a salt lick :eek: Well I do, but it means sharing with the rest of the herd :p

But he has always licked my hand, my mums hands, pretty much anyone's hands :eek:

He also licks my neck :confused: haha and chews my boots :rolleyes:

Fiorano

Visit site
My welshie absolutely soaks me with his licking habit....:)! He licks my jods, my hands, my back when he is being led to the field, my top when you put his head-collar on in fact any available opportunity! He also rolls his tongue when you give him a treat or a polo. He is a very strange boy!!! :)

Bens_Mum

Visit site
Im glad its not just mine.. YO said it could be him trying to be dominant and to stop him but I think its quite funny. Apart from the being covered in slobber thing I can't see it doing any harm.

TicTac

Visit site
Yep, my grey boy licks everything too, face, boots, arms and waxed jacket to name but a few, he also licks my mare but she seems to quite like it! He has a mineral supplement in his feed and a himalayan salt lick so I don't really think he's lacking in anything. Don't know why he's does it but he always has.

cloptonpartridge

Visit site
I have a small pony that always comes up and licks me when I'm trying to tack up the Orc. I think its rather sweet although she can get in the way a bit. Orc likes to groom my back when I groom him which tickles as he has rather hairy whiskers. Both get multi vit in their tea and have himilayan salt lick wich they adore. and mineral/salt blocks. I think its just away to show affection

dibbin

Visit site
My friend's (slightly pervy) TB had a thing about licking my neck and ears, he used to sneak up on me and do it ... quite alarming lol.

Denise657

Visit site
Mine licks my boots a lot, and she tries to comb my mums hair with her teeth as well which is a bit bizzare. =/