Does your horse live out 24/7 or come in on a night?

Which one?

• Total voters

Three

Visit site
I said yes - but only one of mine does so my one vote should only count as 33%.
smile.gif

It's the bay mare in my sig and she lives with her orange 2yo daughter.

This is them showing just how desperate for food they get being made to stay out.
grin.gif

GirlsDec09-1.jpg

glenruby

Visit site
I have a 4yo TB who has lived out all his life so far. Will be bringing him in in spring either for breaking or sales prep. For the record he has never worn a rug either and happily lives on about 20acres with ditches and trees for shelter. Has never been sick or sorry.

TGM

Visit site
Now I have three they come in at nights in the winter (November to Feb/March), because otherwise the grazing gets too trashed as we only have a little land. However, when I had only two they always lived out with no problems.

charlimouse

Visit site
I've said yes, but only 3 out of my 5 live out. The other 2 are in at night, but that is only to stop the fields getting churned up, and Murphy resembling a hippo. Both my TB's live out perfectly happily, as does my TBxID and the donkey!

Ashleigh_

Visit site
All of ours live out.
They enjoy running around with their friends - they are more stress free and less likely to acquire vices, just make sure if its needed they are rugged up
smile.gif

Our lot range from my chunky monkey irish cob to Mr oldie the grumpy TB.

All of them do just fine when their feed and rugs(if needed) are adjusted to suit them personally.

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
Yes all 6 of ours live out all year round. They can come in when the weather gets too bad but that hasn't happened so far in the past few years
smile.gif

vicky86

Visit site
Ive got two in at night and the other two younger ones (3 and 4 yo) are left out full time. Two living out have a feild shelter and all you can eat hay and they love it - very happy horses. I just find it alot easier when riding and competing if they live in at night.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
well all mine normally live out 24/7.............but I gave in with my yearling and have let him stay in tonight - he loves his stable.

I try and bring him in just for his food as the others 'steal' his tea and normally he would go back out, but tonight he begged me to stay in - so I gave in!!

sueeltringham

Visit site
Yes, my Tb x welsh does. He has a coat like a TB, is trace clipped and has a medium weight rug. We've had snow for nearly 3 weeks now, including nearly 8 inches yesterday and he's just toasty. I brought him in last night and he's was wanting to be back out after he'd eaten his tea, so put him back out. Far easier this way if you can!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
There are 6 here that live out - from a 4 year old Tb ex racer to the 37 year old TBx cob. The others are 2 TB's and 2 IDx (ex hunters and they are both 20). As long as the have good rugs and ad lib hay they do just fine. As they get older i actually think its better for their legs as they mooch around as well as for their breathing as they exposed to less dust etc.

Roo would cope just fine.
smile.gif

soloequestrian

Visit site
I think the answers to your poll might come out a little biased because of the post title - you are much more likely to get people whose horses do live out all year reading the post!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
My three do. Our homebred filly is now 2.5 years old, and has spent one night inside in sher life, after she got choke and was still a bit dopey. My cob has been living out now for four years, he is the soundest he's ever been, infortunately he does go a bit feral and I have to kid him with treats to catch the beggar!

cptrayes

Visit site
Mine come into a dry barn at night, all three together in 90 feet of space. It's so that they can get their feet dry and still move around, because they are hardworking barefoot horses and being dry for part of the day helps them manage a lot of work on tough surfaces.

Oh, and I like them dry when I want to ride them too!

MochaDun

Visit site
Mine had never seen a stable til he was 8. Since then he has been stabled at night during the winter but he has such a great winter coat and maintains his weight well all winter I'm sure he'd be fine living out again if needs must.

sallyellis

Visit site
My 3 live out all year round with access to field shelters and well rugged up but one of them my rising 3 year old Arab does come in sometimes I just go by what he is telling me...the last week he has wanted to come in so he is but he will go back out again when it warms up.

pottamus

Visit site
Yes my lad is out 24/7 and is very happy to be...he will stable but it makes him very grumpy so not worth it unless I really have to. He has access to his field stable 24/7 though so not too bad a life really!

SO1

Visit site
Mine has to live out as he refuses to stable but he is a native pony so I suppose he is designed to live out in the british climate.

legaldancer

Visit site
I ticked 'Out 24/7', but I have one in at night. He's a 22 yr old hunter clipped TB, & he's always been kept this way. In summer he's out 24/7. My son's Sec B is out, but with access to a stable. Her hay gets put in there & she seems to spend quite a lot of the night in there judging by the droppings! I think she hangs around the yard because her mate's in.