Does your horse make noises when nervous/afraid??

soulfull

Visit site
interesting to hear how different they all are, all my others have done the snorting/stallion impressions:p

My mare does a fake burp when she is nervous. She does not wind suck or crib bite, then again she does live out. I only say this because I asked my equine lecturer about the burping as I know horses technically can't burp... But she said it's a little bit like wind sucking and they suck the air in to do a fake burp.

lol that is exactly it. although I had him over 2 years its only the 2nd time he has ever done it. For a wussyblood he is really quite brave. but the large stack of black wrapped shavings outside the lunge pen was just too much ?? Probably had more to do with the fact he had been in his box 24hrs than anything else, bless him

Mithras

Visit site
Both mine are right grunter and groaners! One groans when he does lateral work, and both grunt when they want to go faster and are asked to collect more.

Then one neighs a lot and the other would neigh back, but he can't be bothered, so it ends up as a sort of squeak. Though when he arrives at a show in the horsebox, he neighs "HELLO!" very loudly, and "GOODBYE" when we leave. In fact, he looks out the window and shouts "hello" at any horses we pass in fields en route.

When I take him somewhere new, he snorts to show it might be dangerous, loudly, every single breath. Though thats all he does, he never actually spooks. He also folds his bottom lip in half and when jumping, in all his photos his top lip is pushed out when he's concentrating.

Very communicative!