Does your horse mind bad weather?

Queenbee

Visit site
Mine always wants in, but in bad weather he is particularly miserable if left outside. In the summer, our yard is in at day and out at night, in the winter this obviously switches to out at day in at night, the beast has a full 2 months longer on the winter regime than any other horse at the yard because he is such a pansy... If I switch him to his summer routine with the other horses, he destroys his fencing every night in protest at being out at night despite having the company of all the other horses out there he would rather be in on his own. Likewise, if he stays on his summer routine too long be becomes narky and miserable.

Kat

Visit site
Mine thinks she's a native pony and is always happily grazing whatever the weather, she normally needs to be dragged in. The hardy types meanwhile are waiting at the gate!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Mine thinks she's a native pony and is always happily grazing whatever the weather, she normally needs to be dragged in. The hardy types meanwhile are waiting at the gate!

Same as Sunny, she's a native, yet thinks she's a TB who needs to come in ASAP! ;)

Ours are OK for a few hours in bad weather, and then they all want to come back in.

Caol Ila

Visit site
It does occur to me that there could be a possibility that many horses stand by the gate in bad weather because they are expecting to be brought in, and will get fed when they do. My mare automatically stands by the gate in the evenings at bring in time, simply because she knows that's when she is brought in to be fed.

Out of interest, do the same horses stand by the gate looking miserable in summer when it rains too? And how many of those are kept out 24/7 in the summer? Just curious.

Not my horse. The rain in the summer is never so cold and miserable as winter. And the horses are brought in by the yard at the same time, regardless. On a winter's day with okay weather, my horse is happy to stay out until bringing-in time, which is 3:30-3:45-ish. If it's total pants, she looks at her watch and starts fencewalking at 2pm. The yard won't bring her in early. On days I can get there by 2 or a bit after, I rescue her.

Rollin

Visit site
The first one to dive for the field shelter is my Highland Pony!! The Cleveland Bays are a mixture of wimps and 'not gonna stop eating for anyone'.

The Shagya Arabs are as tough as old boots rain, wind, snow, hot, hot, hot. Like Christopher Robin they don't mind what it does tomorrow as long as they are out in it.

whizzer

Visit site
Mine are both TBs, older one lives out & never seems bothered as long as he's well rugged in nasty weather,access to barn(not used much) & ad lib haylage. Newer, young TB doesn't seem bothered either,bought virtually off the track in September,lived out until boxing day,now in at night which he's happy with & out in the day. Grew a reasonable coat,rugged & seems perfectly happy out in any weather.

buddylove

Visit site
It is very windy today and whilst the big guy doesn't seem to mind the sec a has taken refuge in the field shelter and is refusing to budge. Mountain pony my eye!!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Yes so it seems! Nell has been a spook monster for the last 2-3 months now!!! Spooky when ridden or out grazing in this weather, does not help that she keeps zapping herself on the fence when trying to eat grass! She is tough though but is decidedly more unsettled with all this bad weather out in her paddock. Roll on spring!....

Last edited: