Does your horse nap?

Do you actually really dislike someone on here?

• Total voters

Zebedee

Visit site
I think the root cause is always the same. We ask them to leave the security of the herd, & head out into what for them is the unknown. They instinctively don't want to do that.
In a perect world all horses would be broken in / started (call it what you want!) sympathetically but firmly, & be allowed to build their confidence, whilst learning that such behavior is not acceptable.
I learnt the hard way. I had a lovely pony who one day refused to go back down the beach for yet another canter & reared. I was only about 14, & wasn't particularly woried about what he'd done, but decided that he was trying to tell me he'd had enough, so thinking I was being kind I didn't make him go in the direction I wanted, instead I did as he wanted & left the beach to go home. Biggest mistake I have ever made with a horse in my life,& believe me like anyone one who's been with horses for a while I've made a few!
Wihin two weeks that pony was dangerous. Anything he didn't want to do he reared. Not just taking his front feet off the ground either - he went bolt upright & swayed. To this day I can't deal wth horses that rear very well.

KateStartin

Visit site
My horses idea of napping is to stop for a poo if he doesn't want to do something!!!! He does this on the way out for a hack then goes fine and if something scares him and he wants to stop for a look.

He also does this on the way to the field if he doesn't think there is enough grass and on the way in if he thinks he would rather stay in the field!!!

I know this sounds like bad manners but this horse knows his mind and has to have his say.

He can really nap though as a few encounters with pigs have shown!

Tia

Visit site
Mine don't nap. I think it has a lot to do with whether they were long-reined as part of the breaking process. I continue doing long-reining with any who appear to be a bit hesitant with forward motion and this usually breaks the habit so in turn never ends up as a napper.

Try long-reining - it could just be the thing needed to give her a bit more confidence.

Tempi

Visit site
I have done some long reining with her, tbh i think shes never going to change and i dont mind her napping as i can deal with it. I was just interested in other peoples views on it.

I do agree tho that long reining at a young age is definately a good idea as like you said it makes them more forward thinking.

S_N

Visit site
I can't answer truethfully yet, as I have yet to ride her! BUT, when I long reined her that time, she did have a split moment's 'think' about what on earth was going on. But I wouldn't call that nappin tbh, more of a learning curve, which she got over VERY quickly and just pootled off. She was just wondering what I was doing behind her and not next to her - so not really napping. BUT, I expect to come across some kind of napping problem with her - IME most horses do 'think' about it, even if they don't act on it!

miamibear

Visit site
Red naps sometimes out of scaredness and sometimes out of naughtiness.

He likes company and is very clingy so would nap if taken away from others this is naughty, i persevere and he stops it, if i backed off or got off he would think he had won!

I take it a bit steadier when he is scared, i let him look, put legs on, reassure but if he is still having none of it i force him past, its all for show, something he wouldnt look twice at if he was in company! Just makes the hack more interesting!

I always take a whip - short for hacking long for schooling so can give him a small reminder when he really doesnt like something, i think voice goes a long way too!

Red doesnt rear though, my views on this may change if he did!! He has put a small rear in the school if he doesnt want to halt nice. Someone has taught him back up incorrectly and he always wants to go back and gets wound up if i dont let him but the rears arent big, like little hops!

xx

rcm_73

Visit site
My mare napped like mad when I first bought her, half rears & spin or running back. Luckily being able to anticipate her napping or a sharp smack behind the leg has made her do it less and less often although she will still try it on. It's always when we are just about to leave her comfort zone (about 100 yards from the yard) and once we're off the lane it stops but soon turns into heading for home jog! She can nap worse when taken into a field she doesn't know on her own, it can then be quite a rear & a spin, either through fear I think or possibly bad memories of being pushed up the gallops. Anyway we're working on it and is a godsend compared to my previous TB mare who would so stubborn she would stand up at the least hint of doing some work.

JessPickle

Visit site
Pickle used to go in front on the ride till we got half way up the hill, he would then turn round and trot down the hill slighly sideways! Then if the other horse he was with began walking Canter off to catch up (even though he was the one going away from other horse) MADDDDDDD horse!

sevenoceans

Visit site
For a minute i thought u said nap as in sleeping!!

Yes my boy does nap... he's exracer and if he sees monsters (wheelie bins for one, there's list but too long!) he will stop and spin! But i just sit deep and let him have few mins temper tantrum, not allowing him to turn back to stables once he's calms down i walk him on and he will pass the stupid wheelie bin with out fuss! I am glad he lives in countryside where's there's barely any cars.

It does improves as he's fitter but sometime when he feels well he does it!

To me it's just sillyness in his brain rather than habit, He's wonderful in other aspects.

jennystreek

Visit site
My new mare naps, but is getting better behaved as i am getting more used to her. Have put her on calmer and "ride amd relax" food which has taken a bit of 'edge' out of her.

Think she is just very intelligent and has obviously got away with two much in the past!! At first she did scare me as she wouldnt just rear and spin, but would do that followed by a bronching "fit" that would last for ages!! Felt like i was on a raging bull! Now, she just does the mini rear and slow spin - so easier for me to give her a sharp kick forwards