Doesn't Understand Personal Space

Visit site
Just wondered if i could pick your brains. I have a 2 year old who i am having a bit of a problem with. He is brilliant in so many ways but is a really pushy boy around food and if he wants attention. He seems to take absolutely no notice of body language from the other horses or me. I used to have a really dominant alpha mare and he didn't even take any notice of her. Consequently gets bitten and kicked an awful lot. Any tips on things i could do with him to help with this? Thanks

fburton

Visit site
Be as firm as it takes to teach him not to invade your space, but don't turn feed times into a battle (it's not about proving who's alpha). Do this consistently; don't give an inch. Ignore any aggression insofar as you can do so while keeping safe; don't return aggression - escalation is dangerous and counterproductive. If he doesn't respond to body language, use physical measures - only as much as is needed, and without emotion.

WelshD

Visit site
A dandy brush is sometimes useful for keeping them out of your face. My three year old is much better than he used to be but it's taken a lot of repetitions and practices with empty buckets to make headway

He will now back up when asked and wait for his dinner too but once he does he gets his feed and I leave him alone completely

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Sounds like you are feeding in a field with other horses present ? If you are it is a dangerous situation to be in, especially if you are bucket feeding.

I am sure other people will say they do it easily, but for me it a no no. Take the horse out and feed it in a stable.

If the horse is pushing at you on the headcollar, use a rope halter and teach it to step back when asked. You will have to keep at it but the penny will drop and the horse will soon learn to listen to you and stop at your shoulder when you stop walking.

There is no need to knock the horse about, but you will need to be firm and insist he listens. I have 2 18 month olds and they lead well but they both went through a pushy stage, the rope halter was invaluable to teach them to back up and move away.

Visit site
He is fed in the corale on his own and the other 2 are fed in the field. I don't have stables, They are quiet and both eat at the same rate so never any squabbles. He has to have his headcollar on, gets tied up,gets his bucket when hes standing nicely. He's a gem in most ways. Can touch him anywhere, he'll back up, move over from light pressure, walk out nicely but in the field not on a headcollar he can be pushy and in your face. Not just to me he won't get out of the other horses way. He's been with them for 2 years now so is he ever going to learn it id not acceptable to completely ignore them?

amandap

Visit site
I second fburton. Re him and the other horses I personally don't believe there is much you can do to help him, he will have to find his way in the herd. I do think you must be very consistent with him yourself and your personal space, you never know it might rub off in the herd. :)