Dog allergies and cytopoint treatment

Janie G

New User
Visit site
Hi....Does anyone have any advice regarding cytopoint treatment to stop their dog itching? Our lab has been tested and has several food and grass allergies. We have her on restricted raw food diet, which is improving her condition, but vet recommends cytopoint. Just wonder if anyone else has been down this road?

smiggy

Visit site
Have seen a lot of success stories and have personally used it in one dog which has done really well.
The theory behind it is very sound and it’s very safe, I would certainly give it a try if you can afford it ( cost is only downside )

Janie G

New User
Visit site
Thx smiggy, that is good to hear. Agree the treatment is very expensive. Does anyone know if I could administer this injection myself?

twiggy2

Visit site
There is a school of thought that states that stopping the allergy symptoms coming out drives them in and this can be harmful in itself as you are preventing thw body doing what it needs to.
My dog has many allergies and is on a hypoallergenic food and that works well for her.

planete

Visit site
If your dog does not suffer from too many allergies, diet and immunotherapy injections may be an alternative. It worked well for one of my bitches until she developed more allergies rendering immunotherapy ineffective. If your dog is otherwise healthy, Apoquel works very well but carries a small risk to the dog and we do regular blood tests for my bitch who is now on it to monitor for possible side effects. Cytopoint has very good reviews and is supposed to be very safe but it has not been on the market long enough to know about any possible long term side effects. It is also very expensive. I would ask the vet for an estimate for the Cytopoint treatment. Years of it would have needed me to remortgage my house I am afraid.

Janie G

New User
Visit site
Thx everyone! I’m going to ask vet about apoquel. Your advice is very much appreciated and useful. I’ll keep u posted xx

smiggy

Visit site
Your vet might let you do them , like people do the immunotherapy ones at home. It’s the cost of the drug that bumps the price up though.
Twiggy, you are not stopping the allergy symptoms coming out, the cytopoint is basically antibodies to the inflammatory proteins that cause the symptoms, so it mops them up and destroys them. That’s why it’s so neat

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thx everyone! I’m going to ask vet about apoquel. Your advice is very much appreciated and useful. I’ll keep u posted xx

I'd definitely try the Apoquel first. I have used it for Daisy and it's really helped. I now only have to give her a tablet occasionally.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You might find that if you can deal with the diet, (over which you do have control) that the grass allergy symptoms reduce. I found when I sorted my own diet out, I reduced my severe reaction to wasp stings.