Dog Allergy..hyperactive response.

TrasaM

Visit site
After a severe bout of diaorrhea Sam, who is a german pointer. Was put on rice and chicken on the vets advice. Along with the pro-kolin this seemed to have settled his tummy. However yesterday I let him have some of the original dried food he'd been on..not much just a few pieces. By yesterday evening I had a hyperactive and extremely itchy dog who took ages to settle to sleep. Because my daughter had food intolerances which triggered the same type of hyperactivity .. Heedless over excited tense and agressive, I immediately suspected that the food was most likely the culprit.

There had been no gluten in his diet for at least two days so it's possible that it's reintroduction triggered this reaction. I've given him some piriton but it's not helping much at the moment. Poor lad does not know which bit to scratch first. He's also been put on antibiotics as a just in case measure until his poo samples results get back. He'd been on the antibiotics for two days without itching so I'm hoping that it is not these that are the issue.
Anyhow did a search to see what Google found and the following article made sense ; http://www.caninetrainingessentials.com/images/Diet.pdf

Has anyone else experienced this with their dog?
Thank you for reading.. Off to try to calm MR itchy

TrasaM

Visit site
What dry food was it? Some dogs react to colourings etc. Mine is much calmer, on raw.

Royal Canin ..maxi breed. I've gone and bought some Origen for him but didn't want to start him on it until tummy was better. Not gone through all ingredients of RC but know it's not wheat free.
Yep..last night he was like the kid who'd had all the blue Smarties.

LittleMonster

Visit site
For the runs, i try an fed a handful of cooked pasta or Rice as it hardens it up a bit.

But it sounds like you may have a dog with a sensitive tummy like R
we have put her on Burns (Lamb and Rice) and she gets 1/2 a can of chappie mixed in, in the evenings.

All dogs are different might have to do a few trail and errors?

TrasaM

Visit site
Pasta will definitely be on the excluded list I think as my main suspect right now us grain/ gluten. The itching has eased a little tonight and he's settled down to sleep. He'd been itchy in Cyprus too and his poops were always a bit soggy.

What I though was interesting was just how hyper he got and how similar the reaction was to my daughter's when she'd had anything with certain dyes and additives. Most of the packaged foods read like a chemistry experiment ..just what are we putting into our dogs and cats whilst being assured of its wholesomeness.

LittleMonster

Visit site
Pasta will definitely be on the excluded list I think as my main suspect right now us grain/ gluten. The itching has eased a little tonight and he's settled down to sleep. He'd been itchy in Cyprus too and his poops were always a bit soggy.

What I though was interesting was just how hyper he got and how similar the reaction was to my daughter's when she'd had anything with certain dyes and additives. Most of the packaged foods read like a chemistry experiment ..just what are we putting into our dogs and cats whilst being assured of its wholesomeness.

Oh fair enough!
Have you tried giving him a bath in hippiscrub to see if that helps?

They are just like children lol! what was he feed in Cyprus? as maybe the food over here is richer in comparison as well? and like you say some are full of rubbish.
Have you thought about the raw diet? alot of people on here say it's good, i would love R to go on it but it would just go through her! and i've just finally found the perfect mix for her to stop her being ''soggy'' shall we say lol!

TrasaM

Visit site
:) he's less itchy this morning but has a few well scratched patches under his front legs. I was going to try cider vinegar to see if that'll help.
Lol..he's too like a child! Last night I ended up sitting with him until he went to sleep as he kept crying..the minute I went and sat with him he snuggled down and went back to sleep. I'm thinking of trying the raw food diet but not until he's well settled ..can't think it's be too easy if he has to go into kennels or if I go away.
Got butternut squash again this morning and loves it.

Think he was on Iams kennel mix in Cyprus ..tolerated it but was itchy when we took him home.

Last edited:

LittleMonster

Visit site
:) he's less itchy this morning but has a few well scratched patches under his front legs. I was going to try cider vinegar to see if that'll help.
Lol..he's too like a child! Last night I ended up sitting with him until he went to sleep as he kept crying..the minute I went and sat with him he snuggled down and went back to sleep. I'm thinking of trying the raw food diet but not until he's well settled ..can't think it's be too easy if he has to go into kennels or if I go away.
Got butternut squash again this morning and loves it.

Think he was on Iams kennel mix in Cyprus ..tolerated it but was itchy when we took him home.

Thats really strange i thought Iams wasnt very healthy? (maybe misheard)

glad he is settled a bit today :) Yeah mine goes funny sometimes i think she gets unnerved by little things, ive ended up falling asleep in her bed with her before!

The raw diet i think has a thread on here... I think... lol!

Good luck! :)

satinbaze

Visit site
Which antibiotics is he on, I imagine if it's for diarrhoea it will be either amoxicillin or metronidazole. There is a chance these could cause the itching may be worth talking to your vet if it continues

TrasaM

Visit site
Which antibiotics is he on, I imagine if it's for diarrhoea it will be either amoxicillin or metronidazole. There is a chance these could cause the itching may be worth talking to your vet if it continues

I wondered that too.. It's metronidazole. But the itching didn't start until late on day 2 and is now easing up..plus the hyperactivity although he's still on the ABs ... Relief, :)