Dog ate half big bag of kibble

fankino04

Visit site
Went to walk one of my regular dogs (gsd) today and owners had left a full 15kg bag of James wellbeloved on the kitchen bench, she's had half of it. Is a bit quiet but still enthusiastic about her walk but owner has decided that she shouldn't go on a walk with such a big belly. What would you say? Walk to get things moving or not?
Have spoke to owner and said I can come back in a few hours to check her again and take her to vets if needed.

PurBee

Visit site
The kibble will absorb all gut moisture so i’d make sure there’s water available as the dog is bound to get thirsty/dehydrated.
I’d also call the vet as @7kg of kibble at once is going to expand, and they can advise of further measures.

Movement could be useful, just not strenuous running across fields, as that would induce thirst. Its a hot day where i am so would avoid dog getting too hot, and would stick with gentle forest/shade area walks.

7kg is alot….cant believe it’s eaten so much! Definitely ask a vet for advice.

fankino04

Visit site
The kibble will absorb all gut moisture so i’d make sure there’s water available as the dog is bound to get thirsty/dehydrated.
I’d also call the vet as @7kg of kibble at once is going to expand, and they can advise of further measures.

Movement could be useful, just not strenuous running across fields, as that would induce thirst. Its a hot day where i am so would avoid dog getting too hot, and would stick with gentle forest/shade area walks.

7kg is alot….cant believe it’s eaten so much! Definitely ask a vet for advice.
I would have thought that more water would be a bigger risk as it could make the kibble swell in her stomach??

fankino04

Visit site
Could very easily cause bloat. I would want a vet to see it.
This was the point I was trying to get across to the owner as had this happen with my girl a few years back. Dog apparently gets really stressed at the vets hence they have decided to check her in a bit and take in if needed.

bonny

Visit site
I had two collies who tried and very nearly achieved eating a whole bag between them, I came home to two sore looking dogs who appeared they had swallowed a football. I took them out walking, I can’t believe letting them sit around would have helped in any way. We went to a local woods where they left a trail of dog food, both throwing up as well as the other end.
By the end of the walk they both looked fairly normal....I’ve been careful ever since to keep dog food well away, it is amazing how much they can eat given the chance.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Next door nearly lost a dog that had eaten a bag of kibble, unkown to them. They took to the vet as thought it had bloat. Induced vomiting produced a huge amount of expanded kibble. Later that day they learnt it had helped itself from a new bag delivered to a neighbours porch. They were quite miffed as if it had been the neighbours fault that their dog needed the vet.

fankino04

Visit site
Next door nearly lost a dog that had eaten a bag of kibble, unkown to them. They took to the vet as thought it had bloat. Induced vomiting produced a huge amount of expanded kibble. Later that day they learnt it had helped itself from a new bag delivered to a neighbours porch. They were quite miffed as if it had been the neighbours fault that their dog needed the vet.
I was more than miffed with my OH who having spotted that noodle had eaten a fair amount of kibble when she broke into the box, filled up her water coz she had drank it all, she then proceeded to drink another bowl full and spend the night at the vets with me getting updates every 2 hours on whether it had got to the operating stage yet. This owners dog is a known counter surfer but they still keep leaving things where she can get them.

Clodagh

Visit site
Perhaps their dog shouldn’t have been unattended in a neighbours porch? ?

PurBee

Visit site
I would have thought that more water would be a bigger risk as it could make the kibble swell in her stomach??
Its a catch 22 with huge amounts of kibble ingested. Stomach only holds food for a relatively short amount of time, then the dried kibble would have been pushed, due to eating so much, into intestines, which have moisture, and the dried kibble will absorb all gastro moisture, risking colic/impaction, and overall dehydration if water is with-held.
Allowing regular drinks reduces overall dehydration state inevitable from such a huge amount of kibble, yet will cause kibble to swell and distended intestines, but a large amount of softer food passes through much easier than a large amount of hard dried food.
Either way, the dog will have quite the gut ache, as it was so much dried food. I really hope the dog is doing ok, but id not let it out of my sight for 2 days. Im imagining my gsd eating 7kg of kibble…she’d be huge. Very concerning…at least if owner is trainee vet nurse she will have fast connection to vet treatment if its needed.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Bear was head down in a bag as a pup before we swapped to raw. He looked like he'd swallowed a basketball but suffered no ill effects. We haven't had kibble since then til we got the puppies. I caught Mitch last week but I think he'd only had a few mouthfuls, all kibble is now well out of reach.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
I am shocked that as a vet nurse she and her boss have said it's fine. This happened to a colleague a few weeks ago. She had her dog food delivery, got distracted by a call and dog scoffed down a good chunk of the food.
Dog spent 3 days at vets as it causes bloat which is deadly.
I would love to know what vet practice it is so can avoid at all costs.
Please, please do not leave this dog unattended and get her to a vet yourself if she in anyway shows sighs of discomfort, change in toilet habits etc.

fankino04

Visit site
She was brighter when I went back, and then handed over to owners partner haven't heard anything since this afternoon so reckon she must still be OK, her stomach didn't feel hard or swollen like noodles did after her gorging episode ( and she ate less than this dog) so not sure how she got away with it but so far so good. Vet just checked fat content of food and as low said she was OK to stay home, I wanted to take her in if only to relieve myself of the responsibility

Landcruiser

Visit site
Any update OP?

We had a dog (labrador) brought into vets a couple of weeks ago. He had initially been ok after eating a massive amount of kibble. Owners didn't contact us until he started vomiting about 20 hours later. By then, the dog's entire gut was inflamed, and had basically ceased to function. Despite all the vets best efforts, the poor boy was PTS on the table. Very very sad, gutted for the owner, but a lesson that you can't be too careful.

fankino04

Visit site
Any update OP?

We had a dog (labrador) brought into vets a couple of weeks ago. He had initially been ok after eating a massive amount of kibble. Owners didn't contact us until he started vomiting about 20 hours later. By then, the dog's entire gut was inflamed, and had basically ceased to function. Despite all the vets best efforts, the poor boy was PTS on the table. Very very sad, gutted for the owner, but a lesson that you can't be too careful.
She's been absolutely fine since, no idea how.

Moobli

Visit site
Any update OP?

How sad ?

GSD Woman

Visit site
Over the years the practices I've worked for have seen "food bowl bloat." If it is caught soon enough vomiting is induced. Also, dog is put on IV fluids in case of starting to into shock or start to bloat. In both cases there is no time to lose as you all know.