Dog ate sugar!!

pistolpete

Visit site
Naughty Lurcher got a bag of sugar off the side in the kitchen while I was out. Don’t think she ate much as half a bag still there and loads in the floor! She’d been quite thirsty!! Naughty girl!

skinnydipper

Visit site
My Lurcher ate half a bottle of agave nectar. The sticky, watery vomit was pretty disgusting and she looked a bit sorry for herself but she was fine by the morning. I think the digestive system of a Lurcher is pretty indestructible.

Not so much the digestive system. More to do with blood glucose and insulin levels, I think.

Last edited:

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I'm glad your girl is okay @pistolpete .

Regarding the other replies on this thread, I want to point out that Coconut oil contains mainly saturated fats, and should not contain any natural sugar. I presume that that is one of the reasons for why Coconut oil is considered a good option for diabetic persons. Coconut sugar is made from Coconut palm sap (note, this is not the same as Palm sugar, which is made from another type of palm tree). So that dogs have tolerated eating coconut oil, says nothing about the risks involved with dogs eating too much sugar.

According to what I've read, a dog that eats too much sugar does not only risk an upset stomach, or as @skinnydipper mentioned, a risk for diabetes/a diabetic reaction, without if you're unlucky, it can also in some cases lead to the dog developing pancreatitis. Which I didn't want to be all doom and gloom, and mention yesterday, without instead thought that if they at least call a vet, the vet would inform them about the potential risks.