Dog Attack Bedfordshire - Can you help?

Nickijem

Visit site
The thread in LN states that the police are going to speak to the staffie owner tomorrow (what's wrong with TONIGHT?) and like they said, the dog will lose its life and the owner will be told off.

CeeBee

Visit site
I don't think anthing will happen about this. I'm sure the attacking dog's owner will be found and given a talking to, but doubt if anything else will happen, unless of course they can prove it is a 'banned' dog - in this case possibly a pit-bull.
I feel very sorry for the poor spaniel and hope he continues to make a good recovery. It must have been horrific for the owner too - although I am shocked she was able to film and take photos - that wouldn't have been the first thing on my mind to do.
I also feel very, sorry for the attacking dog. As a stafford owner myself, I know only too well what a bad press they get and although mine are good other dogs, I am always aware that other dog owners can be wary of them. If I thought for a minute that my dogs were a danger to other dogs, I would muzzle them.
And dare I say it, there are two sides to every story and unless at the scene, we only have the poor spaniel owners side.
The boy covered in blood holding the attacking dog looks shocked and upset to me. I can only go by the photos I have seen, but it looks as though he must have tried very hard to regain control of his dog. And once under control, the dog is on a chain lead. Is it possible the dog was on a lead, but slipped his collar and that is how the attack happened? Yes, if aggressive it should have been muzzled and yes if it slipped the lead, the collar wasn't tight enough, but there are many owners who know their dogs are aggressive but still don't muzzle them. We don't know for sure it was a deliberate act.
I wasn't there, so just playing devils advocate and this boy is definitely being hunted. Is it possible he had only recently got the dog and genuinely didn't know it would respond to other dogs like that? So many people who own dogs really don't have a clue about dog behaviour. :(

slumdog

Visit site
I'd have more sympathy for him if he hasn't given the woman false details. He could have covered the vets bills and the owners probably would never have contacted the police. However I do feel sorry for both dogs, and this is the kind of publicity bull-breed owners don't want. I agree about behaviour, a friend of my mums got a rescue dog that seemed perfect, she'd had it for a bit and one day came out of the shower with a towel on her head and the dog went ballistic and attacked her, it only let go when the towel came off her head. It had been trained to attack people in turbans and nobody had realised!