Dog beared her teeth at husband

LHIS

Visit site
I'll try and keep it brief. It happened whilst I was at work, husband at home with the dog who was upstairs sleeping in a spare room. Husband decides to go out and goes to fetch dog downstairs at which point she hides under the bed and when husband tried to retrieve her she beared her teeth at him and threatened to snap.
When he told me I was shocked, and wondered what he's done to her to make her react like that (a bit of a naughty thought I know but she is not an aggressive dog with people she knows and is submissive).
She's not possessive of either one of us but does favour me (probably because I've had her nearly all of her life and husband has been on the scene for 4 of those years, she's 8 this year), though because I wasn't there I don't believe it's linked to that.
Was it simply that she was just telling him that she didn't want to be moved, or should I be concerned? I've been watching the pair of them together and there's been no repeat behaviour.
I've also warned husband about how she must perceive him, she's a small terrier and he's 6'2, I imagine she could find him intimidating (he is no nonsense in his approach to her) and asked him to consider that when he interacts with her.

She has snapped before, once, years ago whilst on a walk (on a short lead) a small child maybe 4 years or toddled up to her, I reeled her in as parent asked if child could stroke the dog, I said no, child lunged at her and teeth touched skin (thankfully skin wasn't broken). As a result I keep her away from busy places, she is only off the lead when no children around.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
She was telling him to go away (whether she was scared, threatened, felt like she was being cornered, simply being a cowbag, none of us can tell) and if he did go away, it worked for her and it is probably likely to happen again.
The best thing now would be to make sure neither of them are put in the position where it happens again.

springtime1331

Visit site
Personally, I avoid dragging dogs out from under furniture because it will inevitably cause conflict. Instead, I'd do something to make them come out on their own steam- my patterdale thinks when a cupboard is opened he may get fed so I'd probably do that. Or shout "cheese" which always makes him come running!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would not discount that the dog may be ill. I would keep a close eye on her .
Wanting to stay in the special place ( bedroom ) was one of the first things I saw in one of mine .

LHIS

Visit site
Thanks all. I'll keep an eye on her re. her health thanks GS I hadn't thought of that. She gets terribly itchy around this time of year, has a type of grass allergy, she's treated with anti-histamines but I wonder if they leave her feeling a bit groggy.
Mines a Patterdale too Springtime and cheese also is a great bribe! As is any food that's 'human food' haha.
I don't have any issue getting her to come to me but I suppose our bond is a little different and she's not weary of me.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Personally, I avoid dragging dogs out from under furniture because it will inevitably cause conflict. Instead, I'd do something to make them come out on their own steam- my patterdale thinks when a cupboard is opened he may get fed so I'd probably do that. Or shout "cheese" which always makes him come running!

^^^^ This. Going after an adult dog when it's on its bed, or anywhere that it's 'chosen', is asking for a fight. Best as the post says, offer a distraction and then do your best to prevent the dog from being in a position of command again. The dog won Round 1, prevent the situation is the answer by being one step ahead of the dog.

Some of my best work dogs have reached the age where they'll stand their ground, and then the only answer is to 'find a way round it'!

Alec.

11bluewolf

Visit site
Im sure she was just threatened, however its still not really acceptable. Is there anyway you can prevent her going upstairs? and instead give her a dark crate with a bed or something out of the way as her hiding place? Obviously do not touch her when she is in her own den

LHIS

Visit site
Im sure she was just threatened, however its still not really acceptable. Is there anyway you can prevent her going upstairs? and instead give her a dark crate with a bed or something out of the way as her hiding place? Obviously do not touch her when she is in her own den

She has four beds dotted around the house and spends most of her time her favourite one which is like a sleeping bag so she can hide away if she wants to, though likes one of the spare rooms because it's an absolute sun trap and she's a sun worshipper. Usually when you call her she comes to you.
I've been watching them together and she's been as good as gold since, no further behaviour like this and hubby is being more thoughtful about how he approaches her.