Dog beds? Help!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our 2 x 7 mths old Lab pups share a crate overnight or when we are out during the day, when we are at home they sit in front of the stove on a sheepkin rug or a woollen rug with a fluffy throw over the top.

Now, we have a problem, the crate has a thick rubber mat floor (because the Rotters destroyed the plastic floor) and we put vet bed on top of that for comfort. When they were tiny we put blankets and towels in for softness but they started to chew those and we had to remove them because of the danger of choking. They have water in the crate but no toys, again for safety.

They have just destroyed 2 pieces of vet bed in less than one week - this is getting expensive! What do other people use for their dogs to sleep on?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
The only bed I have been able to rely on is a tuffie.

My GSD has his own large durasoft Tuffie in the utility and next to him are my two terrier in a durasoft with a "nest" cover. They wash well and have stood up to chewing and my terriers have destroyed anything else that they've ever had (thats at leats 7 years worth of beds til I bought these, they are 12 now!)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The only bed I have been able to rely on is a tuffie.

My GSD has his own large durasoft Tuffie in the utility and next to him are my two terrier in a durasoft with a "nest" cover. They wash well and have stood up to chewing and my terriers have destroyed anything else that they've ever had (thats at leats 7 years worth of beds til I bought these, they are 12 now!)

Thanks. We did have a cushion-type thing that was meant to be 'indestructible' for the Rotters that they chewed fairly early on, so that has put us off that type of bed but I will have a look at your recommendations.

vallin

Visit site
When Daisy went through this phase she had a plastic bed and blankets. She now has two tuffies (one upstairs and one downstairs!) which she has yet to destroy. Only thing I would say is that when she first had the fleece cover she must have eaten a load of fluff dislodged by digging or something and we only realised when she ended up vomitting it back up (could have been a lot worse!). We took the cover off for a while and have since put it back on and haven't had any problems with it since, but just be aware there is a risk there as the fibres come loose when it's new.

SadKen

Visit site
I have a tuffie which my GSD at 1yo has chewed but not destroyed. I'll buy a fleece cover for it when he grows out of chewing.

I've left all our pups with stuffed kong xtreme toys with no problems and wouldn't see them as a choke hazard assuming you get the right size.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Another with a tuffie. My GSD x has finally grown out of the chewing phase but she never tried it on with the tuffie. She tried it on with the sofa and went through a phase of nicking books off the bookshelves - not to read though, although I do think it’s within her capabilities?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks all, I will certainly look into Tuffies. They have inherited a kong, which the Rotters were never very interested in (too much like a ball:rolleyes:), which they do enjoy playing with, so I could maybe leave that in the crate with them. They don't seem to be able to destroy the buffalo horns that they got for Christmas but I must admit I am way of leaving much in there overnight.

Although I could have choked the pair of them this morning when I realised that they had just destroyed a brand new piece of vetbed that was only put in there as they went to bed last night:oops:

We did know when we got Labs what they were like, as a family, we have lost sofas, spectacles, shoes, boots, books, £10 notes, purses (separately) and goodness knows what else, including the passenger seat of a car which succumbed in less than 10 mins one day.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
And although the current two don’t destroy beds, as a baby, Zak chewed up the OH’s glasses, his wallet along with all the £20 notes ready for the builder, my phone-which he then pushed under the shed! And all squeaky toys. Must eat the squeak!

Ranyhyn

Visit site

tda

Visit site
Ha, I like the carpet stapled to a board, might try that ?

Youngest terrier is a little shit with dog beds, they last about 1 hour after you've left the room ? got him a new pad the other day, ripped within 24 hrs so he is back to the old pad which was from pets at home and has lasted extremely well , but rather lumpy, despite being ragged by him at least 4 times a day

I got a tuffie, terrier jumped on it, slid a bit, got off and wouldn't get back on it again

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Perhaps a Tuffie might not be such a good idea, then!

Actually, they now have an old flat piece of vetbed on top of the rubber mat with a piece of buffalo horn to chew if they wake up before i do. This seems to be working. However we have a new piece of vetbed waiting to be used when they need a clean piece, so we will see if the fluff attracts them. Whatever they have MUST fit into the crate, or we will have nothing left intact in the house.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Why don't you just wash the vetbed rather than a new piece? ☺

Odd question.
The newer vetbed is fluffier. The old vet bed is clean but worn. It was the new piece that they ripped to shreds. The vetbed is washed regularly. We have several older pieces, for the crate and the car. They are clean but not so fluffy. I have no intention of washing strips of vetbed and trying to sew them back together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A friend of mine uses old towels and old ben linen for her chewers, I give her all my unwanted bits and then they just get thrown away when destroyed, they don't make too much mess when chewed either.

Clodagh

Visit site
Odd question.
The newer vetbed is fluffier. The old vet bed is clean but worn. It was the new piece that they ripped to shreds. The vetbed is washed regularly. We have several older pieces, for the crate and the car. They are clean but not so fluffy. I have no intention of washing strips of vetbed and trying to sew them back together like a jigsaw puzzle.

It did sound as though you threw the vet bed away when it needed replacing, which I also took to mean dirty. :) .

buddylove

Visit site
Our lab was relegated to blankets only until she grew out of the bed destroying phase, luckily, apart from the odd shoe/welly She didn't chew much else, and did grow out of bed ripping.