Dog books recommendation thread

SilverLinings

Visit site
As there are so many discussions on AAD about dog behaviour and dog training I thought it may be useful to have a thread where we could share book recommendations as there seems to be a few of us interested in these subjects.

I am currently about half way through a book about dogs, studies of their behaviour, and their place in the history of science, and I'm enjoying it so much I thought I'd post a recommendation in case anyone might be interested.

The book is 'Wonderdog: How the Science of Dogs Changed the Science of Life' by Jules Howard (2022). I spotted it by chance in Waterstones and am finding it fascinating. The chapters are based on either particular well-known scientists who have studied dogs (including Darwin, Pavlov and Skinner), or significant discoveries about dog behaviour/psychology. Some of the experiments dogs were used for contributed massively to scientific knowledge but weren't particularly nice for the dogs (as anyone who knows about Pavlov will be aware of), but some of the scientists studied the dogs because of their love for the species (e.g. Darwin).

There is also the fascinating story of a group of women (lead by Emelie Lind-af-Hagby) who campaigned in the late 1800s/early 1900s to stop invasive experiments being carried out on dogs. They gathered huge amounts of evidence and argued their case in court in a time when women were not considered 'people' in UK law. They also found a legal loophole that enabled them to enroll as medical students so that they could gather direct evidence of vivisection being used to 'teach' doctors. She published the diaries that she had kept of watching the experiments, and the book caused a national sensation and sparked public interest in the treatment of animals in medical experiments. Up until the publication of the diaries the women and their campaign had been written off by the press and men in power as 'hysterical feminists' so it was amazing what they achieved at that time.

There are also chapters on play behaviour and the love that many humans feel for dogs, and whether the dogs feel the same (I haven't read those bits yet though).

Has anyone else got any interesting and/or useful dog-related books to recommend?

stangs

Visit site
Good idea for a thread and good recommendations so far.

I'd recommend Don't Shoot the Dog, but I'm sure most already know it, so I'll recommend Lads Before the Wind, also by Karen Pryor, instead. It's not about dogs, but it is a brilliant resource about how she developed and improved her clicker training with captive cetaceans. Anyone who enjoyed Don't Shoot the Dog will likely enjoy Lads Before the Wind too.

There's also Pit Bull: The Battle over an American Icon, by Bronwen Dickey. I can't yet recommend it, as my copy is still in the post, but I'm looking forward to reading it. It's about the history of the pitbull and the sociocultural perspectives of the breed.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I like The Culture Clash by Jane Donaldson and So That Others May Live by Caroline Hebard. I found the latter really interesting as she realised her dog was shutting down after making finds at a site where everyone had died. The dog was rewarded either way, but had a really hard time with so much death.
I haven't read Der Schutzhund by Helmut Raiser in full but I know some of the best quotes from it and his seminars.

Lots of folks buy me dog books but I've got a huge amount of stuff on the pile and I don't know if I actually enjoy them.
To be honest I've learned more by watching and interacting and working with lots of different dogs and trainers.
The training system I use is a mix of classical (Pavlov) and operant (Skinner) and to me, the way a dog learns/links things is not **that** complicated, but you need to adapt your training for the dog. Round pegs don't fit in square holes and you have to pick a horse for the course.
I know a couple of people who have fallen into 'paralysis by analysis' because they've read and watched and listened to ALL THE THINGS, their heads are turned and they get frustrated when the dog doesn't behave the way they 'should', but as I say to them, dogs can't read or watch DVDs or listen to podcasts and genetics is a huge factor as well in how they deal with stress etc.
Helmut Raiser said that the dog reaches back for help from his ancestors when he is under pressure, and in the case of a dog with genetically poor nerve, finds there is no one there.
And also that when the dog is under stress or pressure, he reverts to what he learner first, even if you think you have trained over the top of it/fixed an issue.

Book learning/theory is for sure important for understanding why you're doing what you're doing I know a few people who have read a hell of a lot but who are not good practical handlers/trainers.
Equally I know a lot of people who watch/copy others, stick a ball under their arm and off they go without doing any foundation or know why, or people making the same mistakes across multiple dogs.

I've been on seminars where the person giving them has said himself that a small percentage actually understands what he's saying and even fewer of that number are those who can actually apply it properly.

Last edited:

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
I also love So That Others May Live; Willow was from a long line of SAR dogs and it gave me insight into the dogs that were in her pedigree as well as how she viewed the world. Plus, who doesn't love a good dog memoir?

The most helpful how-to dog book I've read is How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend by the Monks of New Skete (revised edition, after I read the revised edition I happened to see the original and couldn't believe the difference between the two, I did not like the original). I'd grown up with dogs but Willow was the first I trained and I made a lot of mistakes, I had a bit of 'paralysis by analysis' and this book helped me take a deep breath, step back and work on my relationship with Willow, the result was amazing.

I will watch this thread with interest because as my username suggests I love to read!

SilverLinings

Visit site
Tracker dog by Glen Johnson, a bible for teaching tracking but also amazing stories about teaching dogs to sniff out gas leaks

I enjoy stories of real dogs that have done something amazing/unusual or that show haw clever they can be as a species so I will look out for a secondhand copy of that one, thank you for the recommendation :)

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
I enjoy stories of real dogs that have done something amazing/unusual or that show haw clever they can be as a species so I will look out for a secondhand copy of that one, thank you for the recommendation :)
SilverLinings, have you read any of Damien Lewis's WWII dog biographies? I've read all three that he has published and if you haven't read them yet I highly recommend them.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Bumping for Kunoichi73

I finished reading the book I started the thread with ('Wonderdog...') and thoroughly recommend it to anyone who likes learning about behavioural sciences and dogs in particular. It isn't about training but gives an insight into how you can utilise behavioural knowledge in training techniques.

I have been reading a range of other things since then, but nothing dog-specific, although I have a couple of more general animal/mammal behaviour and psychology books lined up to read next.