Dog Clippers

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Please can you guys recommend me some dog clippers. I’ve got some cheap ones that are really pretty useless.

Spec is basically for two small dogs, one Bichon and one Shitsu. Both coats are kept in excellent condition, so it’s for trimming, not matting ?

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Following with interest as whilst on maternity leave I’m half tempted to have a go.

what are your cheap ones just so I know to avoid?

I have those eBay £10 dog clippers which I use to do the pony’s bib and do a good job but I don’t know if they’ll cope with Mabel’s denser curlier coat. Whilst the pony has a lot more fluff it’s individually quite fine.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Following with interest as whilst on maternity leave I’m half tempted to have a go.

what are your cheap ones just so I know to avoid?

I have those eBay £10 dog clippers which I use to do the pony’s bib and do a good job but I don’t know if they’ll cope with Mabel’s denser curlier coat. Whilst the pony has a lot more fluff it’s individually quite fine.

They’re Wahl. A good make, but were a cheap model bought about six years ago. They’ve been ok. But just not up to the job anymore, especially now (or soon to be) with two dogs.

deb_l222

Visit site
Oster - there's nothing finer in my humble opinion :)

I had my first pair (Oster Golden) for over 15 years and they not only tackled my own dogs but all the manky, matted rescue springers. Twin speed (the ones I have now) are a waste of time. I've never used the slow speed in all the time I've had them. I do have the soft touch ones though and they're nice to use.

Not cheap but worth every penny. You can get compatible blades but I always buy Oster blades as well as they're better quality. I don't use blade combs so can't really comment on those but they do clip on and off easily enough.

Equi

Visit site
Oster or Andis are the norm. I have the andis as i use them for show clips on the minis, so they are definitely able to clip lol but i usually have oster blades on them.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Took delivery of a set of Andis yesterday and just massacred (sorry, trimmed) the dog ?. Lovely sharp blades, but runs very hot.

GSD Woman

Visit site
Not cheap but worth every penny. You can get compatible blades but I always buy Oster blades as well as they're better quality. I don't use blade combs so can't really comment on those but they do clip on and off easily enough.

I second the Oster if you can afford them. Andis would be my second choice. Also, definitely invest in some good blades. Blades can be sharpened and last.