Dog club people

ihatework

Visit site
Anyone on here involved in dog clubs / facility rental. Eg flyball / agility etc?

A small holding has just come up locally the has semi taken my interest.
It’s only 1.5 acres, but has a small allweather school and a yard area with hard standing and stable block, storage and a log cabin. The land will be fairly wet, electricity via a generator.

Now it’s not really going to sustain many horses without getting trashed, and I don’t have any real use for it short term (but have a longer term idea).

In the interim might it be attractive to a dog club for rent and if so what do you think rental charges might be?
It’s located close to a main A road with good access to a few local towns. But it’s also got no close neighbours so noise shouldn’t be an issue.

Just thinking about what I would do with it if I did buy it and want to just sit on it for a few years

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Secure dog fields where they can run off lead seem to be a big thing.

Obedience, agility, flyball, general dog training lessons, sports like IGP etc, you could rent it out to trainers or training groups.
Not sure on price, it would depend on your area and usage, we have use at least twice a week of a fully fenced soccer pitch size area and a smaller area for show training, cabin with kettle, fridge, radiator etc, proper car park. We pay a flat annual fee (which comes out of our club membership fees) and then a fiver a week training fee for anyone attending in person (like a green fee for a golf club) which goes towards the utility bills, grass cutting, maintenance etc, which is carried out by landlord.
You'd need to look into insurance though. We pay group insurance through a governing body, again, that comes out of our membership fees, although on the one occasion that something happened (not dog related, it was a fall), the landlord was ultimately liable
:(

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I wasn't party to it all, it was more than ten years ago, but I think it was down to boundaries and where the accident happened (not in the actual area where dogs were being trained/competing) which was literally feet and inches. As it is, make sure there's an accident book, OP!!

GSD Woman

Visit site
That sort of thing can be very popular in the right area. My step niece pays a fee to allow her beagle to run off lead in a grassy, enclosed area in San Diego, CA. That is a very pricey area and land is horribly expensive.
Here people pay a fee to use a field for training. Things like practicing obedience and agility. Agility equipment available for practice is also a big draw. But, for serious trainers it would need to be regulation equipment, not some crap that the local dog park has for dogs to play on.

Annette4

Visit site
The short answer is yes, as a flyball/toss and fetch club we are desperate for a new training venue at the moment and would snap your hand off. I'm not sure what we currently pay as rent so would need to ask the club captain but the space, especially if we can use/put our own storage there would be perfect.

I also pay 10 a week for mine to use a secure field to run as 2 of the 3 don't have good enough recall to be off the lead on walks (around other dogs at least which is every walk at the moment).

Littlewills

Visit site
the one local to me charges £8 for half an hour. Its just an empty field. Secure, well stock fencing all round, and that's it. It seems to be very very busy