Dog coats/rugs

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I want to buy the Dobes and our Lancashire Heeler new coats, am looking for lightweight,waterproof and sturdy possibley reflective. Can anyone recommend a good coat and say roughly how much you paid for it. I dont want anything with a hood that could get caught up in hedges. Thank you:)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
MM we have got that very rug for Pip but she has outgrown it, I just want something to keep her dry. Im leaning towards the Hurtta Winter Jacket for the Dobes as all the Dobe people seem to love them but the price is a big drawback especially as I have to buy 2.

Synne

Visit site
We have Hurtta coats of several models for various seasons/uses for our 3 ridgebacks, and can't rate them highly enough! Pricey - yes, but very good fit and quality. Like your dobes they have deep chests, and I can imagine the dobes enjoy a bit of high-speed chasing through the woods as much as the ridgies - no problem with the Hurtta coats!:D

Dobiegirl

Visit site
We have Hurtta coats of several models for various seasons/uses for our 3 ridgebacks, and can't rate them highly enough! Pricey - yes, but very good fit and quality. Like your dobes they have deep chests, and I can imagine the dobes enjoy a bit of high-speed chasing through the woods as much as the ridgies - no problem with the Hurtta coats!:D

Thank you, I know the Dobe people rate them and just wish there were a bit cheaper, yes my Dobes like to race around much like your Ridgies and so now to search for the cheapest outlet:)

weevil

Visit site
I have an Ann Rees coat for my dog as he needed a waterproof coat as he gets cold an wet very easily. It fits him really well (they do 2 shapes - hound and square) and the straps seem very secure.

all about Romeo

Visit site
I have to ask, why does a GSD need a rug ?:confused:

to prevent him getting wet and cold if he goes out in the rain... it stops his joints becoming damp and stiff (because he is abit precious) and also being white it helps to keep him clean.
I wanted a coat that come all the way up his neck and could not find a dog coat design that covered the areas I wanted it to, so I tried a small rug and its perfect :)

Badders

Visit site
Ours have a dog suit from Equafleece, which is water repellant rather than waterproof, but we've been out with the dogs in awful weather and they've been dry and toasty, even the shivering whippet! We've only ever had the fleeces, which last for ever, but I think they do a totally waterproof suit now: equafleece.co.uk/store/dogs.html :)

Hedwards

Visit site
If you're on Facebook, search for 'bobbydogs' coats, she makes them to measure and are much better then anything off the shelf, as you can be sure theyll fit! pretty much any kind of material/colour to suit your needs. My lurcher has a padded coat for chilly trips when it's dry, and both lurcher and jrt have waxed coats for rainy days and towelling coats for post bath/swim to dry them quickly and protect my furniture!

Can't recommend enough!!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
to prevent him getting wet and cold if he goes out in the rain... it stops his joints becoming damp and stiff (because he is abit precious) and also being white it helps to keep him clean.
I wanted a coat that come all the way up his neck and could not find a dog coat design that covered the areas I wanted it to, so I tried a small rug and its perfect :)

Ah I didn't realise he had problems with his joints, and can understand wanting to keep a white dog clean. Mine would be mortified if I prevented them getting wet and muddy, as far as they are concerned the wetter the weather the better, and they certainly don't feel the cold. Unfortunately no matter how bad the weather they are raring to go, snow is Evie's absolute favourite.:D

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Thank you everyone who took the time to reply, I have decided to go for the Hurrtta Winter Jacket for the Dobes especially as they fit them so well and have had excellent feed back from other Dobe owners.

Pip our Lancashire Heeler is probabley going to have a Barbour waxed coat, the fact that my daughter said if you have that one I will go halves did help make my mind up.:D

I know I said I would like reflective but as we dont go on roads and walk on our own land I thought they would stand out better on a wet misty day.:D

I am still trying to find the cheapest stockists of Hurrta winter jackets and currently the cheapest Ive found is £51.04 from the London Dog Company. If anyone knows of a cheaper supplier they will have my eternal gratitude. I just think they are incredibley expensive when You could find a horse rug for £100 and you get way more rug more your money.:D

Synne

Visit site
I have decided to go for the Hurrtta Winter Jacket for the Dobes especially as they fit them so well and have had excellent feed back from other Dobe owners.

Good decision! 2 of our ridgies have those (I assume you mean the Pro-model), and the last one have the previous model. However, I really like the new Outdoors Ultimate warmer - it's just that none of our dogs really need a new coat as their old ones still are just as good (even after several winters of extensive use - we live in Norway)...:) And as you have noticed, the coats are far too expensive to buy new ones just because I fancy them...:rolleyes:

http://www.hurttacollection.com/en/outdoors-en/products/warm-clothing/ultimate-warmer/

Sorry, don't really have any suggestions to where they are the least expensive in the UK. I have bought mine mostly from Sweden (either online or when visiting), as they are cheaper there compared to Norway, except last year when I bought the Pro winter jacket for my youngest. (The brown coat was on sale as the colour had gone out of production, but luckily my dog isn't that bothered that I make her wear something that is so last season...;))

all about Romeo

Visit site
Ah I didn't realise he had problems with his joints, and can understand wanting to keep a white dog clean. Mine would be mortified if I prevented them getting wet and muddy, as far as they are concerned the wetter the weather the better, and they certainly don't feel the cold. Unfortunately no matter how bad the weather they are raring to go, snow is Evie's absolute favourite.:D

:D:D my boy is very precious! he likes wearing his rug :) as he really doesnt like going out in the rain or any cold and windy weather, he loves the snow though! (as do I :cool:) and my horse is the same! (very precious TB) no idea where they get it from! :eek: lol :D:D