Dog gone missing:( any advice?

ollierdog

Visit site
My lovely harrier hound has gone missing at 9am this morning she was happily pottering around the yard and when I next turned round she gone, she sometimes wonders down our lane(we live down a track which is 1/2 long) and down the public footpath but always returns after half hour. Got everything crossed that someone has picked her up thinking she was lost and will take her to the vets tomorrow! She was wearing a collar with name and number tag, she's microchipped and tattooed in both ears. Iv rung all the vets and kennels, checked with locals and neighbours ect, done a very good search around home and nearby fields, will ring dog warden first thing and make some posters, I'm worried as she's never been gone so long before:( anyone got anymore ideas of anything else I can do?

ollierdog

Visit site
Thanks bonny didn't even cross my mind I'm sure there will be a non emergency number which I can call first thing! Also have just shared all over fb so that may do some good!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Dogslost and register as missing, leaving an item of your recently worn clothing where you last saw her so if she makes her way back to that point they tend to stay there. Hope she is found soon safe and sound.

Princess16

Visit site
Sorry to hear that:-( why don't you put a photo of her on here you never know someone might have seen her ? Worth a try - hope you find her soon.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Police, all local vets, Dogslost, local horsey page on Facebook. I just went searching with a group of mates after doing all of the above and thank god, found them after some very worrying hours. I hope your girl is home very soon, it's an awful feeling. :(

ollierdog

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's kind words- still no news after a sleepless night, just waiting for the dog warden to open at 8 so I can give them a ring:(

tda

Visit site
definitely get yourself on doglost website, when my dog went missing I was contacted by some great people who offered help and advice.

windseywoo

Visit site
Sorry to say the worst but is it possible someone has deliberately taken her? Do you do the same walk each day? Have you seen anyone lately show an interest in her? Is she the type of breed that would be of interest to someone to risk stealing her? Has she been neutered?
I hope you find her soon and that she's ok? Have you done the old fashioned thing of pictures on lampposts?

PorkChop

Visit site
Do persist with the Dog Warden - I have known them to hang on to dogs for up to a week so that the owner has to pay more money.

Hope she is home safe and sound.

CazD

Visit site
Do persist with the Dog Warden - I have known them to hang on to dogs for up to a week so that the owner has to pay more money..

Really?? Even though "she was wearing a collar with name and number tag, she's microchipped and tattooed in both ears." You'd have thought they would contact you straight away.

Kaylum

Visit site
get on facebook, any of your local area ones and get posting pictures for sharing. post post post where ever you can. People pick these up and will post them on other groups they know for you.

ollierdog

Visit site
Massive thank you for everyone's advice and tips!! 36 hours after she disappeared as I was having one last walk round before bed I could hear crying in the distance and found her stuck in a big black round cow water trough!! Apart from being very thirsty and hungry she is on too form....although not sure how long she would have lasted being stuck in there! It will be lovely to get a full nights sleep tonight and now will be going to Bramham tomorrow:):) thanks again

Dobiegirl

Visit site
So pleased for you now you have your dog back and your life, there is no fear like losing a dog even though Ive only every lost mine for 10 minutes I can imagine how you felt.

Chiffy

Visit site
Great news, what a fantastic feeling of relief. Thank goodness you found her. How on earth did she get herself in there and why? We will probably never know!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Brilliant news! I lost 2 of mine many years ago now. They shot off after a rabbit and got themselves disorientated. We mounted a huge search party, my parents, my son and quite a few of the girls from the livery yard on horseback. One was spotted after about an hour and she came trotting back sheepishly. The other one, who was always a nervous little thing got herself so upset she kept giving us the slip. If I hadnt been so frantic it would have been quite amusing, we kept catching sight of her but as soon as anyone got close, she bolted. After about 10 hours we lost sight of her and as it was dark by then we had to give up. I went home, but like the OP went out before bedtime to do a final search. I found her sitting by the roadside in the gateway where we had last seen her. I dont think I have ever felt such an overwhelming sense of relief! I was told by someone later, not sure how true it is, that a spaniel will general circle back round to where it started if it gets lost, whereas a sight hound will just keep running.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'm so happy for you! I know that horrible feeling so well. Thank god you have her back!

MyBoyChe, yes, my two horrors didn't go far, possibly under half a mile. They took off after a muntjac and obviously hid themselves not far from where I last saw them. They were very sheepish coming back, too and freaked out, trying to go past the cars. It was only me using the coaxing voice that made them come to me.

Chiffy

Visit site
MyBoyChe, interesting what you were told about sight hounds as in my experience it is not true. Years ago before the 'hunting act' we would take our two lurchers out and let them chase a hare if it got up. In the early days we would run to watch and try to keep them in sight, but they would always return to their starting point whether they had caught anything or not. So we learn to not move too far.

Kaylum

Visit site
That's brilliant. We should have a thread on what to do if your dog is lost or you find one. and put some links on it.