Dog insurance

claireandnadia

Visit site
I'm looking to change my insurer and pay a bit more each month for a better policy.
Can anyone recomend?
I've had a quote from morethan which seems quite reasonable but don't know what they are like.

ElaineLightning

Visit site
Im looking into it at the mo for new pup.
Petplan wants £56 a month
John Lewis £17 a month
NFU £20 a month
Argos £26 a month
I did get More Than quote too but can't remember (it was of the higher range)

These are all including cover for life with similar excesses but varying sums insured

2Greys

Visit site
I think More Than have brought in a % of bill excess for all dogs now, not just oldies which may make it less attractive option for some.

I'm with NFU currently but am considering a change as don't feel £4k per condition per year is likely to be enough these days. It has been reasonable price for cover, though we've only claimed with them in death rather than vets bills so far.

cbmcts

Visit site
Have you tried AXA? I know a few people recommend them - petplan type cover and service but considerably cheaper...

I would be wary of possibility of some 'brands' pulling out of the market and leaving you unable to cover existing conditions. Lloyds and Halifax spring to mind so I would avoid Argos, supermarket branded insurance and stick with companies that underwrite their own products.

Last edited:

liveryblues

Visit site
Petplan offer a 4life cover. This means they do not exclude conditions already treated either. My dogs cost about £26 per month each (£4000 per year cover +£1000 complimentary) . The Lab has just ruptured hid cruciate and will cost £2100 to fix! Most insurance companies would exclude his other leg at the end of the 12 months due to the 40% chance that the other will rupture within 2 years. Pet plan dont exclude. I didnt really look into other company/policies the same though so perhaps they are out there?
Tesco wanted £13 per month £3000 + £500 complimentary but will exclude anything that has been claimed for after 12 months etc

Last edited:

liveryblues

Visit site
Not sure why others are getting such high quotes from petplan? Mine cost £26 each. I guess others must be wanting the maximum available? Just insured my lab who is 18 months old. The other dog came with free petplan as a pup and we continued it after a quick look around.At 3 months old it was £26.

Hedwards

Visit site
I've always used Petplan for my two dogs, cat and horses. However after my cats renewal came through yesterday with an almost 100% increase (having never claimed in 6 years of owning said cat) - I phoned, asked if they would reduce, got a big fat no, so cancelled all 3 small animal policies (end on 6th August) and will be looking elsewhere... they didnt even try to save me as a customer!

Have to say, they are a great company to deal with though!

ETA - just had some quotes from AXA - they are considerably cheaper - if i insure both dogs and my cat with them it will cost the same as insuring just one one dog with Petplan (~£32 a month) - think thats my decision made!!

Last edited:

liveryblues

Visit site
I just checked on AXA and I would save £4 per dog. Also not sure on there £7000 cover, it states that cover is for per period of insurance... does that mean for the whole time he is insured (over entire his lifetime?) or is that per 12 months? Also complimentary is only £250. Petplan is £1000. As my lab is gona need a lot of physio & hydro ontop of £2100 for his knee op. I will stick with petplan for this year :)
It is awful though that any company can just hike you premiums and there is nothing you can do about it :(

Hedwards

Visit site
I just checked on AXA and I would save £4 per dog. Also not sure on there £7000 cover, it states that cover is for per period of insurance...

I believe its per year... looking at their main 'front page' on the website and its lifelong cover too...

Sorry to hear about your boy! hope he's back to 100% again soon!

claireandnadia

Visit site
I've just been on Petplan and I've insured both dogs on the 12 month plan with a 3k limit for £420 for the year.
I'd rather be with someone I know.

Hedwards

Visit site
I've just been on Petplan and I've insured both dogs on the 12 month plan with a 3k limit for £420 for the year.
I'd rather be with someone I know.

Haha! I've just cancelled all my Petplan cover and moved to AxA! £396 for the year for 2 dogs and one cat with £7k cover per year with cover for life... we'll have to compare if (and i hope neither of us do) we need to claim!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Tesco! I pay £22 a month, get £7500 vets fees per year (not condition dependant so can claim for same injury more than once) and they have been brilliant when I've made a claim with the vets paid directly in around 10 days.

Twizzel

Visit site
Petplan insured Rosie (sprocker spaniel insured when she was 12wks old) for life for £21 vets fees £4k/year and no exclusions after first year of treatment as liveryblues explaned.

claireandnadia

Visit site
Mines probably more expensive as one dog is a lab and the other a GSD.
I couldn't get on AXA website at work and both laptops at home are broken so I can't get a quote but I'll give them a call and see if they can quote on the phone. I've 14 day call off period with PP I think.

Hedwards

Visit site
Petplan insured Rosie (sprocker spaniel insured when she was 12wks old) for life for £21 vets fees £4k/year and no exclusions after first year of treatment as liveryblues explaned.

I do really rate PP, their customer service has always been second to none, however their premium increases year on year were just getting silly (having insured with them for various different pets over about 10 years), it was virtually a 100% increase from last year to this year for my cat - and i've never ever made a claim... same for the dogs, although not 100% increases... my JRT is £9/month and Lurcher £12/month for £7k vet fees per year with 'for life' cover for any long term conditions.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I have my 2 insured with tescos costs me £16 month for both when the younger one just racked up a £500 bill they payed out within a week of the claim no question at all. My excess is only £60 aswell. Couldn't recommend them enough, just waiting for them to bring out horse insurance now!!!

winslow

Visit site
I had my German Shepherd insured with direct line not sure if they are still doing it or prices now but they were fantastic even dealt direct with the vet instead of paying then reimbursement.