Dog keeps cutting his stopper pads

meandmyself

Visit site
My sister's dog keeps cutting his front stopper pads on walks. He takes a chunk off each time and the pad gets very sore.

He's walked on grass/tarmac and is allowed off lead in an enclosed grass area.

Any suggestions to stop this happening? I'm pretty sure that he's catching himself when he's running.

Thanks!

PorkChop

Visit site
If he is taking chunks out of his pads, then maybe look into getting front dog boots, I personally think the neoprene ones are the best.

Jools1234

Visit site
my lurcher used to do this all the time, she is better if we go on a proper a to b walk rather than haring about in a small (for her!) area so she is constantly stopping and turning. she still does it if the ground is really hard but no-where near as often.

it happens when they stop suddenly its what the pads are for, they can do it when turning too

thye regrow very quick as i am sure you know i used to keep mine on a lead till they healed then i gave up and she slowed down (a touch) when they were sore but she has not done it for ages now

katie4002

Visit site
Mine does the same, more when the ground is very hard/frozen, and they get very sore/bloody when he's been tearing about.

I wrap his with vetwrap (adhesive) bandages :) love vetwrap as you can get all different colours!!