Dog killed a sheep.what will happen now?

aintgotnohay

Visit site
my dad and his partner had a dog from dogs trust 6 months ago.the dog was a wire haired fox terrier mix from ireland.the dog had issues with recalls but my dad was having the help of a trainer.all the dog ever wanted to do though was chase things.anyway on the weekend my dad and his partner were visiting friends.the dog and them were in the garden.the dog scaled a gate and went on the run..he was found in a field not far away and had killed a sheep..the dog was then returned to the dogs trust.what will happen to the dog now do you think? farmer has been informed and they are going to pay for the sheep whatever it costs.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I knew a dog in the same situation and it was transported to another Dogs Trust branch to be rehomed (presumably so its history/reputation didn't follow it).

ladyt25

Visit site
Poor dog. I imagine the recall/sheep issue may be why it was there in the first place!

There was on at out Dogs Trust a few years ago, that was a collie x terrier type by the looks of it and they were looking for a home for it NOT in a countryside location as it already had a history of escaping and chasing sheep (they didn't mention whether it had killed any but, if you read in to it, it's likely).

The dog needs to find an owner who can cope with this behaviour and where it doesn't have the same opportunities to get out and go on the chase I guess. It's a shame your dad felt he had to return it as 6 mths really isn't a long time.

aintgotnohay

Visit site
Poor dog. I imagine the recall/sheep issue may be why it was there in the first place!

There was on at out Dogs Trust a few years ago, that was a collie x terrier type by the looks of it and they were looking for a home for it NOT in a countryside location as it already had a history of escaping and chasing sheep (they didn't mention whether it had killed any but, if you read in to it, it's likely).

The dog needs to find an owner who can cope with this behaviour and where it doesn't have the same opportunities to get out and go on the chase I guess. It's a shame your dad felt he had to return it as 6 mths really isn't a long time.

my dads in his 70s and couldnt cope with seeing what the dog had done to the sheep.also have young niece who goes round sometimes and he has issues with children.

A1fie

Visit site
my dads in his 70s and couldnt cope with seeing what the dog had done to the sheep.also have young niece who goes round sometimes and he has issues with children.

I think your dad absolutely made the right decision. A dog who chases sheep is a real danger and in my opinion, once they do it, it is very hard to train them out of it. However sad it is for the dog, my sympathies are with the farmer and the sheep. I have seen the after effects of an attack on sheep and it can take the flock years to recover, and some never do.

abb123

Visit site
I think your Dad made the right decision.

However, I don't think that this means that the dog can't be re-homed successfully to someone more able to control the dog. It is pretty easy to not allow the dog access to sheep. Our older Golden Retriever has always wanted to chase sheep - we just make sure he never gets the chance which is very easy if you live in a city.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Same with my two. They wouldnt ever attack a sheep, but they are fit, working bred whippet types, and my dog has an incredible prey drive. They would run them to death. My fault for not stock breaking them when they were young, but there weren't any sheep near me then and all sorts of life stuff got in the way after that. I'm just careful if I take them anywhere there might be sheep, that they stay on the lead unless I'm 100% certain that there are no sheep. But there really arent any sheep round here and we take them all over the place walking :)