Dog or hair trimmers to clip nervous horse?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Previous years I've sedated H to clip him as he's a nervy Welsh d. Haven't clipped the last few years as the cost to sedate doesn't go with the work he does (happy hacker)

However he has cushings so gets on better if clipped out as he gets so hairy when I have a lesson on him/ go for a faster hack with friends he gets very sweaty.

Following a fantastic tip by EKW that I read on another thread, I've been able to hunter clip him twice this year, with the exception of his head (he's headshy) and legs.

Unfortunately last time he then went round with cotton wool in one ear for over a week as he wouldn't let anyone remove it after he was clipped 🙄 I can laugh now but having spent an hour in the cold trying to remove the stuff with him getting more hysterical and me getting more hysterical at the thought of it causing him an ear infection and him having to be sedated to get it out and trying to get antibiotics into him it definitely wasn't funny! So no more cotton wool!!

Today I managed a great achievement of managing to hunter clip him apart from up to halfway up his neck and he also has a half hairy chest as I didn't want to push things and he was getting pretty upset. (Funny how all the reccomended clips for young horses do their chest yet he was really funny about having that done)

I was wondering if a small pair of dog or human clippers would work to help getting him used to clippers with sound being up near his head? I also have the fantastically quiet liveryman red rocket clippers which is what I used to do his body and maybe in time I'll get his neck done with them but until then is it worth getting some cheap people or dog clippers? Would they be substantial enough? I also would want a very quiet non buzzy pair so why reccomendations? While not spending fortunes as they may not work?

I'm certainly very pleased with how he behaved and see it as an achievement it would just be nice to get him a little tidier especially as he might be fully hairy next time I clip from scratch. Of course next time being Welsh he may not let me near him at all with them!!

tda

Visit site
I bought some cheap dog clippers from Amazon, they were not the ones mentioned but they definitely wouldn't clip a horse

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Folk on FB have been raving about the dog clippers available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grooming-C...8&qid=1546799112&sr=8-5&keywords=dog+clippers.

I've bought some but haven't tried them on a horse yet.

I have these ^ and use them for tufty heels and beards (dressage horses do not have beards!!!!), great for trimming but I'm not sure they'd manage a whole clip? I bought them to desensitize Skylla as she doesn't like being clipped, but is fine with these.

I also have the little liverman harmony clippers/ trimmers and they did use to fully clip my show horse who had a very fine coat, they melted when we attempted to clip Topaz....

I think for desensitizing they would be great, and for small areas, but if he responds well to ear plugs I'd get some specific ones rather than use cotton wool. I made my own for the show horse for evening performance training, just used some sheepskin off cuts, stitched into a ball, you could even add a 'handle' so they are easier to remove (bit of cord stitched into them that hangs out?).

ihatework

Visit site
I have these ^ and use them for tufty heels and beards (dressage horses do not have beards!!!!), great for trimming but I'm not sure they'd manage a whole clip? I bought them to desensitize Skylla as she doesn't like being clipped, but is fine with these.

I also have the little liverman harmony clippers/ trimmers and they did use to fully clip my show horse who had a very fine coat, they melted when we attempted to clip Topaz....

I think for desensitizing they would be great, and for small areas, but if he responds well to ear plugs I'd get some specific ones rather than use cotton wool. I made my own for the show horse for evening performance training, just used some sheepskin off cuts, stitched into a ball, you could even add a 'handle' so they are easier to remove (bit of cord stitched into them that hangs out?).

I’d agree. They are good for desensitising & trimming, but wouldn’t be man enough to get a neck off

ponies4ever

Visit site
I have wahl Avalon clippers. cordless and very quiet I have yet to find a horse that with a bit of time didn't let me clip them. They don't particularly like clipping heavy cob feather but with a bit of patience they will. My cob and IDx were both hide at the back of the stable snorting types when I got them but now with a bit of feed I can clip them both loose in the stable quite happily.

SpringArising

Visit site
My friend bought the dog clippers everyone had been raving about and they're no quieter than my Liveryman Cordless ones (although probably a fraction of the price...)

J&S

Visit site
We managed to clip my new " nervous to clip" pony with cordless clippers, but when we switched to the tiny trimming ones for her head/chin we had to desensitize all over again because she did not like the little buzzing noise!
She is highly sound sensitive, bird noises make her jump!