Dog out of control on the beach - not a good ending

kathantoinette

Visit site
Don't post on here really - more of a lurker but I've had a traumatic experience today and would like anyone who's been in a similar situation to offer any words of wisdom or just something to make me feel slightly better.

I've been to the beach today with two of my friends on our horses. Just steadily walking down the beach when a small dog comes hurtling towards us dragging its flexi-lead behind it. I think they'd maybe had it tether near their picnic area of something. Owner shouting at it and running after it after he realised it had escaped.

Now normally in this situation I would keep on walking until small dog lost interest or owner gathered it up but with this flexi-lead attached although it wasn't said between me and my friends, we stood stock still, rather than start walking and all ending up in a jumble with this lead. Dog was running amongst us, flexi-lead and handle bumping along behind it. Horses were well behaved. Dog came right behind my horse so I stepped forward a couple of strides and stopped again. Bit of a haze from this point - not sure if owner had reached the dog, he was possibly behind me. My horse kicked out, not a huge kick but when I looked back he'd caught the dog full on, the dog started fitting and then died :(. I couldn't believe it. I said to the man 'omg, I'm so, so sorry', wife or g/friend appeared on scene, started shouting I'd killed her dog. I said again I was so so sorry. The man said to me and g/friend it wasn't my fault. We all just stood there, it was awful - she was crying and screaming. I said again to the man how sorry I was and told him we were leaving to set off down the beach and off we went.

I feel bloody terrible and can't stop thinking about the whole thing. I've lost dogs in the past and I know how upsetting it is on the day and for ages afterwards. I would certainly have not wanted this outcome.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Oh I am so sorry that this happened to you and it is no wonder that you feel terrible. What an awful experience for you and the owners. Thing is it wasn't your fault, maybe it wasn't even theirs. It's just an accident and one of those things.

RIP little beach dog x

TandD

Visit site
((hugs!)) this is in no way your fault! dont blame your self if others cant control their animals.
your horse was purely protecting its self from the dog and you could not have stopped this
the owners should have had far better control and not have let it run off with its lead being dragged behind it! imagen if that had got round your horses legs and your horse was now in the vets with serious cuts...or dog bites!

did you give any details about your self? only in this society you can never tell if someone will sue or not!!!!

Luci07

Visit site
Horrible for you but not your fault and I say these as a dog owner myself. In fact this could have been even worse and you could have been badly hurt.

ChestnutTinker

Visit site
Why am I crying at this?!
I'm so sorry for the tragedy of today. I feel for you and the dog's owners, what a horrific accident!!
But this is in no way your fault, that's all it was, a tragic accident. So so sad :(

RIP Dog xxx

limestonelil

Visit site
What a horrible thing to have happened - but none of it was your fault at all. I just wish people would keep their dogs under better supervision at times so the poor thing didn't die needlessly in such circumstances.
When I started reading your post this outcome hadn't crossed my mind. Take care, and I hope you all get back on the beach soon.

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm so sorry. But my first thought was that the dog and it's lead could have tangled you all up and that could have been devastating.
Don't beat yourself up, there was nothing you could have done to prevent this happening, and I don't think your horse is at all to blame either.

Woody2013

Visit site
It was a tragic accident. Feel sorry for you, as a dog lover I am sure you already feel terrible for what happen. Chin up. RIP little dog xx

BWa

Visit site
Ah that's rubbish K. It really is yours or H's fault. The man knew that, the women was probably just shocked. As, I guess, are you. With spooky horses it could have been carnage. It was an accident that could happen to any of us. X

Jola

Visit site
Oh that's tragic. It's normal to feel upset about this its terribly sad. I think the lady was just in shock and of course needs to lay the blame somewhere. Sounds like you couldn't have done anything else. Have a good cry, a glass of wine and some chocolate. Thank god it wasn't a human that was hurt...

Clodagh

Visit site
Ah that's rubbish K. It really is yours or H's fault. The man knew that, the women was probably just shocked. As, I guess, are you. With spooky horses it could have been carnage. It was an accident that could happen to any of us. X

I hope you mean really not your fault...I don't see any way OP is responsible but must have been so awful to see. So sad, its really no noes fault, just an accident but the owners should have kept it under better control.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
What an awful thing to happen but it was just a terrible accident and certainly no fault of yours.

I saw a horse kick a hound in the head once and the hound also fitted and died - it was horrible :(

Toz

Visit site
You took the necessary action to try to prevent an accident. It was just an unfortunate turn of events, try to put it behind you.
Tbh, when I first clicked on this thread, I thought that you had ended up on the ground because the dog spooked your horse!
I'm very sorry that it happened like this, I hope you are alright and get back to beach riding soon. Be comforted by the fact that you couldn't have done anything at all.
Hope you feel better about it soon.

timetoride

Visit site
How sad :( but just another to say it was not your fault or your horses- they just don't realise their own strength sometimes- his kick would probably just have scratched another horse and a warning kick is probably all he thought he was doing! Not saying it was the owners fault either necessarily (dogs get free sometimes- these things happen) but those kinds of leads could have just as easily broken your horse! So try not to feel bad and hope you feel better soon.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Totally not your fault nor your horses fault.

Eta it wouldn't need to be a hard kick, just bad luck and caught it at a vulnerable bit. Every year just about I will see a lamb jump up and hit its head on a gate when we have them in the pens and they fit and die. Thousands get away with it but the occasional one does not.

Last edited:

Summer pudding

Visit site
You took the necessary action to try to prevent an accident. It was just an unfortunate turn of events, try to put it behind you.
Tbh, when I first clicked on this thread, I thought that you had ended up on the ground because the dog spooked your horse!
I'm very sorry that it happened like this, I hope you are alright and get back to beach riding soon. Be comforted by the fact that you couldn't have done anything
at all.
Hope you feel better about it soon.

Nicely put above, it was a ghastly accident, you did all you could, please don't beat yourself up......try and put it behind you now.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Couldn't leave this without saying how sorry I am OP.

What a horrible situation to be in. You are not to blame, neither is your horse, he/she was only doing what horses do to protect themselves when feeling vulnerable.

If anyone is to blame it is the owners of the dog; a momentary lapse of attention plus they should really have trained it to come back to heel (easy to be wise in hindsight).

BUT........ just think what might have happened: the flexi-lead might have got caught around your horse's legs, you or your horse might have been very seriously injured and/or had to be PTS even. And all because of someone's lapse of concentration basically.

Yes you feel awful, any of us would, and the girlfriend's response would be even more upsetting, if understandable in the stress of the circumstances. But this was NOT your fault. If you take your dog into a public place, it is up to the OWNER to exercise proper care, which this patently wasn't. So their fault, fair and square.

idx

Visit site
Hi- it was not your fault and accidents do happen. I have been in an almost identical situation on a beach far our near the water when a dog came bounding over full of excitement and desperate to play. I could see the owner running out to us but it was going to talk her a while to get to us so we started to walk towards her. When we reached her the dog was plunging around the horses trying to get them to play. My horse gave two warning stamps and just as the words - watch out the horses will kick - came out my mouth BOOT. THe dog flew threw the air, got up and ran full belt back to the shore line. I dont know if the dog died, I hope it didnt but there was absolutely nothing we could have done. I was relieved the dog owner had not been kicked or one of us injured. Accidents happen with animals and are very distressing when we witness them. Give yourself some time and dont blame yourself.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Poor you, poor horse and poor dog :(

Sometimes I read these posts and wonder if that would happen to me if my dog got away, but thankfully although he is a 'chaser' (something I'm working on!) he doesn't bother with things that aren't running fortunately. Glad the man was understanding, I sure the woman realised the fault lay with them really, but was just too upset to react any differently :(

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
OMG, I am so sorry. I would be so shocked if that happened to me. The most important thing to remember is this - IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT !!! OR THE HORSES FAULT !!!

milesjess

Visit site
How awful! I was expecting a broken leg or something :( poor little thing... But as the others have said it wasn't your fault, the owner is only to blame but even then sadly dogs get loose :(