Dog owners tsk tsk

Pen

Visit site
I think the clue is in the thread title - loose dog with no owner in sight which could have turned out nasty if said dog had decided to chase/attack horse. Having had a dog attack my cob while riding I for one am worried by unsupervised dogs in public.

Leo Walker

Visit site
It came towards you and then was called away, whats the issue?

I suspect the dog owner wasnt expecting to see a horse trespassing on a footpath in that sort of area ;)

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Bejesus! Why would you ride over that? I can't imagine what would have happened if the dog had come chasing after you half way across that bridge.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I used to ride over a similar bridge over a dual carriageway regularly as the bridleways were over the other side. It wasn't a big deal once you trained the horse to do it.

IIRC from P's other videos and threads, horses are allowed on the bridge in his video.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Actually the thread title could have meant anything from someone finding dog poo in a paddock, to a full on dog attack or dog being kicked in the head by horse etc, so yeah, funnily enough I chose not to click on the link.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It came towards you and then was called away, whats the issue?

I suspect the dog owner wasnt expecting to see a horse trespassing on a footpath in that sort of area ;)

and then came back for more, barking, and ran up and down the ramp no sign of owner. How do you know it is a footpath and not a multiuse path?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Bejesus! Why would you ride over that? I can't imagine what would have happened if the dog had come chasing after you half way across that bridge.

Same here, sorry but I dont care how well behaved a horse is Id never ride over that - lead maybe but hell no would I ride. All the horse has to do is spin and thats you off and over the bridge - terrifying!! Far more terrifying than the dog that seemed very well behaved with great recall...

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't see the problem either, the dog was not interested in the horse, yes he probably should be on a lead on that bridge, for is own safety but really!?

cally23

Visit site
Same here, sorry but I dont care how well behaved a horse is Id never ride over that - lead maybe but hell no would I ride. All the horse has to do is spin and thats you off and over the bridge - terrifying!! Far more terrifying than the dog that seemed very well behaved with great recall...

I ride over a bridge over the M4 which is waist high. I do have nightmares of us both going over the side. It takes nerves of steel. Especially as my mare can be a bit of a madam!

ester

Visit site
I don't see the problem either, the dog was not interested in the horse, yes he probably should be on a lead on that bridge, for is own safety but really!?

It barked at the horse once, disappeared then came back for another go, and a good few more barks. I don't see that as not interested for a dog you don't know and an owner out of sight?

Leo Walker

Visit site
and then came back for more, barking, and ran up and down the ramp no sign of owner. How do you know it is a footpath and not a multiuse path?

Because they have said so lots of times before. I dont really care either way. But dont go on foothpaths in built up areas and then moan because theres a dog on the other side of the path, heading away.

ester

Visit site
Obviously! He didn't chase the horse?

I guess maybe I have higher standards for a great recall than just not chasing the horse- I would define it as returning fully to owner to be leased? It seems this dog never made it back to the owner as it then came back for more. Honestly quite confused right now!

ester

Visit site
Because they have said so lots of times before. I dont really care either way. But dont go on foothpaths in built up areas and then moan because theres a dog on the other side of the path, heading away.

Well I will let pedantic clarify that one.

I do hate coming across dogs I don't know without owners in sight TBH as you just don't know what will happen but that probably comes from having ended up with a staffy attached to my horse's tail in the past and a couple of other circumstances, I'd much rather and do ride over the motorway.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

^^this. dog was not near the horse and it only barked couple of times? dog should have been on a lead but a horse should be able to cope with a barking dog.

ester

Visit site
I don't think anyone suggested horse likely to have a meltdown at a barking dog, I think he deals with much more than that. I guess I'm just tuned into the what ifs with dogs and owners who cannot see what they are up to, too many beach rides I expect- that and I have probably been put on aware by the husky owners on here who say they would never let them off so I blame hho :p.

charterline

Visit site
I have worked on projects that have installed this kind of bridge. I have specifically stated that the barriers on the bridge sides are not high enough. But the design didn't get changed :(

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I don't think anyone suggested horse likely to have a meltdown at a barking dog, I think he deals with much more than that. I guess I'm just tuned into the what ifs with dogs and owners who cannot see what they are up to, too many beach rides I expect- that and I have probably been put on aware by the husky owners on here who say they would never let them off so I blame hho :p.

Tbf it's great recall for a husky ��

Anyway, doesn't make it right but as I'm fond of saying, we all have to share paths up here- you just can't be precious. I'm in the sticks now but still expect to meet loose dogs when out, some will be in control and some less so.

SpottyMare

Visit site
There is no way on earth I'd ride over that bridge - I'd throw up!

That was a pretty undramatic husky (it could have been a cross though), but that breed really shouldn't be off lead. It's not recommended by breed societies, breed rescues... Nearly every story I've heard about a runaway husky has started 'he's never done that before, his recall has always been ok...' (And before anyone jumps on me, I have one and have owned northern breeds for about 40 years. Mine would have been bouncing up and down, spinning, talking, trying to make friends with horse and rider, then saying hello to the man with the snack sized dog, then he would have seen a squirrel and buggered off at speed, then he would have seen something else and disappeared over the horizon...)

sky1000

Visit site
From what I saw 1. Pedantic's horse is fab and 2. the dog didn't seem to be under any sort of control and it should have been.