Dog play/agility training area surface

Patchworkpony

Visit site
I have fenced off a 10 metres by 10 metres safe dog play/agility training area which has road sub base rolled in to deal with wet and mud but I now want to put a dog friendly surface on it. The easiest choice is play bark BUT I think there could be health issues with that one. I don't want gravel and I think sand could be too messy. Any ideas?

satinbaze

Visit site
I was warned against Astro turf for my garden. It can be harsh on dogs pads and has been known to cause grazing to the pads when dogs hoon around

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Oh right. I know a few people who use it with no issue, and I know of at least one big national championship in Europe taking place on astroturf this year. Maybe it's to do with the grade?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
I wonder if normal horse bedding shaving would work and then replace them when they start to rot down. Our early schooling areas years ago were used (manure free) wood shavings from the stables.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you already have a hard surface I think I would buy some rubber shred, like for an arena. Frost free, free draining, comfy to fall on..... easy to 'muck out'.

galaxy

Visit site
Plenty of agility clubs hire arenas for hire. The one I train with has 2 locations one has just sand which has to be kept damp and to be honest is hard to move on with a fast dog! The other has a lovely waved surface.... pricey though clearly! The waxed surface was messy when new but neither now cause that kind of issue.