Dog poo in horse field

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Someone just said the field owner at the back of her house says she can fling her dog poo into the field. There are horses there. I would be fuming if I was doing my horse's feet and they had dog faeces in them. :frown3: Surely it cant be good for horses to eat grass contaminated with it? Thoughts?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
That sounds awful :(

But I don't worry if our dogs do it in the field, there's likely more fox and badger poo in there than dog and in 12 acres the horses should be safe avoiding it

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Probably lots of fox etc poo, true. I'm happy, tho, that there are never dogs in the fields as it's off the beaten track. It used to drive me nuts that people would walk their off lead dogs who were 'playing' with the terrified horses at my old yard! :eek3:

Zero00000

Visit site
Not the worst thing I can think of, but, if I poo picked my field often and had to pick up another dogs poo I wouldn't be happy, if they are picking it up to fling it, stick it in a bag and dispose of it!

Shantara

Visit site
I would hate to think of someone flinging their dogs poo into my field! I would not be happy! As Zero said, if they are picking it up to fling, why not just put it in a bag?!

We have a foxy that lives in/around the field though and I know he's in there because I see fresh poo every now and then. He was there first and the horses seem to avoid it, so he's no bother. In fact I like seeing if I can spot him :) only twice so far!

Spring Feather

Visit site
The horses won't eat anywhere near the poop I suspect. It is rather yuck though to be doing that. It's one thing dogs going randomly throughout a field and quite something else for someone to be chucking poop over the fence, probably landing in roughly the same spot.

My dogs go somewhere on the farm. I don't like dog poop anywhere near the house though and do scoop any up that happen to be around. I have never ever seen any of my big white dogs doing poops so I suspect they go way up into the hay meadows or the forest to do theirs. My black dogs tend to not go too far from me so they must do theirs in the pasture fields. Occasionally I catch one of them doing it near the barns and I swoosh them away from there lol! The weather here is quite good for dog poop though (I know, it sounds like a really strange thing to say lol) as in the summer it is SOOO hot that the poops just dry up and blow away, and in the winter they freeze and then by spring time you can't see any trace of them after the melt.

cambrica

Visit site
I would never be happy with someone throwing their dog poo into my field. Its bad enough that folk don't clean up after them on the bridleways.
Dog poo is bad enough, cat poo is far worse and fox poo, uuurrgghh especially when my long haired bearded collie rolls in it!
The beardie though has the weirdest toilet habits :eek: He finds the long waste patch or nettles and cocks his leg to poo, refusing to go on shorter pasture land ;)

honetpot

Visit site
Crumbs you worry too much. What about rat poo, bird poo, rabbit poo, sheep, deer, cattle? Its natural its organic it will rot down and fertilise the soil, yes its nasty if you step in it but usually a dog poo is visible unlike rat urine that carries Weill's disease.

cambrica

Visit site
Crumbs you worry too much. What about rat poo, bird poo, rabbit poo, sheep, deer, cattle? Its natural its organic it will rot down and fertilise the soil, yes its nasty if you step in it but usually a dog poo is visible unlike rat urine that carries Weill's disease.

LOL No I certainly don't lay awake at night worrying about it!
Herbivore poo, fine - carnivore poo fine also, so long as its not on my dogs coat when he's in the car back from the stables or plastered on the kids shoes :eek:

BarmyC

Visit site
It would concern me as I would think it would pile up after time.

We have a different problem here where dog walkers dutifully pick up and bag their dogs doings but instead of taking the bags home they tie it to our fences or leave the bags somewhere obvious so someone else has to dispose of them. I often wonder what the point of picking it up in the first place? The other things is them letting their dogs run into our fields and laughing when they jump in our water troughs.

When approached and told that that is the only way for our horses to get water and if it was filthy from their dog they wouldn't drink we got a reply saying ok we'll just do it in the cows one!!! Erm what is different? Proper faceplant moment.

Auslander

Visit site
My dog appears to have trained himself to poo in the muckheap area! No idea what inspired him, but I was delighted when I realised he was making a bee-line for it every morning. I do a regular scout round to make sue he hasn't left any on the mown areas of the property, and find the odd one in the field. I pick them up whilst poo picking if I see them, but don't go actively searching for them in the horses field. I'm more concerned about him peeing on their very expensive hay! He has learned that doing that results in a massive telling off!

Marydoll

Visit site
If it was my field and someone was doing that, im afraid there would be dog crap being launched right back in to the perpetrators garden, dirty gits. Dispose of it in the appropriate bin and that wouldnt be my field

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Someone just said the field owner at the back of her house says she can fling her dog poo into the field. There are horses there. I would be fuming if I was doing my horse's feet and they had dog faeces in them. :frown3: Surely it cant be good for horses to eat grass contaminated with it? Thoughts?

Our dog poos in the field while we dee poo horses, occasionally we find fox poo. We pick up with the horses as we find/see him do it. I cannot abide it in our fields. When visitors come /go in field the last thing they want to take home in their car / my car/ my house is dog poo. This is why we don't allow dogs on yard either.

We also pick our dogs poo from the yard areas, in the summer when kids come I like to know our property is not one huge doggy dirt box.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
If it was my field and someone was doing that, im afraid there would be dog crap being launched right back in to the perpetrators garden, dirty gits. Dispose of it in the appropriate bin and that wouldnt be my field

^5

our neighbours dog did that for a while and i launched it back, and the reason i knew it was hers is my dog was on a chain

L&M

Visit site
On an occasion it wouldn't bother me - after all my own dogs/liveries labs come round the fields poo picking and will often leave some of their own.

However if it was on a daily basis I would be chucking it back!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

yes it could rot but not before it embeds in horses feet and unsuspecting human gets it on their hands. Or when you walk up to get your horse and stand in some and on the way home in car with heating on a strong doh1t smell wafts around the car. More often than not its trodden on before it rots.

honetpot

Visit site
Well I have two large dogs who at the moment are actively encouraged to poo in the field as our garden is a postage stamp and I have never had a problem. Now the dog rolling in fox muck is a different matter.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
well i have liveries here with young children. We do not let dogs on the yard and clear up after ours, we have a footpath on the outside of our gate which runs along. I loath dog poo all over my place and certainly after being in yards that do allow dogs and experiencing first hand of dog poo in my horses feet then on my hands - dog poo on shoes which ended up in my car with heater on, dogs crapping all over the yard including in my hay and peeing in it. I have strong view on this subject and will always watch our dog while we go round the field and pick his up with horses.

each to their own.

myprincess

Visit site
Apologies for the gross question but does anyone know if fox poo looks the same as dog poo? Only reason I ask is because I found what I thought was dog poo in my field but there are know footpaths through it and quite high walls so was baffled as to why someones dog had let there dog in!

L&M

Visit site
Fox poo is smaller and stinks far worse than dog poo - my lab takes great delight in rolling in it and takes several baths to remove the stench!!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
I agree and I don't miss fox poo at all. We don't have many foxes over here but loads of coyotes/wolves. Coyote/wolf poo is very hairy and usually white-ish and it doesn't smell so the dogs don't roll in it. I'm happy to take that over fox poo any day.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Urghhh I hate dog poo left to fester! I am a dog walker and in autumn the chances of picking up the wrong one are high - makes me want to vomit when I unintentionally pick up cold dog poo! The thought of them going unpicked in hay fields bothers me also - I really don't want to find a half dried out dog **** whilst filling my haynet thank you please! Drives me nuts also when people pick it up then hang the poo bag on a tree - WHY???