Dog Poo Wormery

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Anyone have one?

I've just set mine up, and looking for any helpful tips. I've got a wheelie bin style, and the worms have arrived today (which is oddly exciting)

CrazyMare

Visit site
Do you have a link to any details? I don't like the amount of plastic bags used, and I like gardening, maybe this solves two issues?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Do you have a link to any details? I don't like the amount of plastic bags used, and I like gardening, maybe this solves two issues?

No I don't like the plastic either, nor do I like having to carry our bin thru the house to get it to the rubbish bin (which I am sure we probably aren' really supposed to do anyway).

It's a large wheelie bin thing that you make a bed for the worms in, and then once they are established you can start giving them some of the poo from the garden. It takes about 8 months or so apparently to have it fully established to compost enough for three large dogs (I have three small). The worms live and breed in the container and produce worm tea and compost which as was pointed out isn't any use for veg plots or anything for food consumption. But excellent compost for flowers and house plants apparently.

And as pointed out you can't use the poos after worming, but you can resume after about a week following worm treatment.

{97702}

Visit site
So what do you use the compost for? Flowering plants? With 4 greyhounds/lurchers this naturally appeals to me, I despair of puttIng their waste to landfill double bagged in potentially non-biodegradable bags :(

planete

Visit site
Lévrier;13768952 said:
So what do you use the compost for? Flowering plants? With 4 greyhounds/lurchers this naturally appeals to me, I despair of puttIng their waste to landfill double bagged in potentially non-biodegradable bags :(

Same here but we have only a few flowers around the vegetables. You can get biodegradable poo bags but I am not sure you can trust them not to degrade too quickly?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Lévrier;13768952 said:

the company I dealt with recommends and sells decompostable bags, which is different to biodegradable. They can even be used within the wormery, but the others cannot. It's a fair bit of work to get it up and running but there is something satisfying about it.

Last edited:

CrazyMare

Visit site
Lévrier;13768952 said:

I have a large lawn and two, soon to be three large flower beds full of various different flowers and shrubs. I spend hours out there when not at work. People seem to think that a nice garden and dogs (greyhounds) are exclusive but I don't find that!!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I have a large lawn and two, soon to be three large flower beds full of various different flowers and shrubs. I spend hours out there when not at work. People seem to think that a nice garden and dogs (greyhounds) are exclusive but I don't find that!!

Our lawn suffers a bit of poaching in the winter but apart from that we don't get digging or plant trashing. Ours isn't a formal garden but it's not entirely feral either. Our biggest struggle is heavy clay, copious amounts of moss, and a lack of energy / ambition to do more than what we (read: my hubby) do(es) already.

Spent a few hours out yesterday weeding and clipping back some shrubs which were getting a bit unruly. I pulled a jasmine and honeysuckle out because they were just not thriving and looking stalky and it's never flowered for the past few years. This year I have lots of seedlings on the go in germinators and hope to have most of them in beds or bigger pots in the next few weeks. Then the germinators will become home to my salad seeds. We have two composters (not the dog poo wormery types) that need turned but we look at it and go "eh, nah" lol

The truth is, the garden sometimes suffers as it's a last thing on the list - too busy golfing (hubby) or out showing (me). But I do love sitting out there of an evening...

Last edited: