Dog proofing a corner site/fence issue

ArklePig

Visit site
Hi everyone,

We're in the process of buying a house and the first priority is dog proofing the garden so that we can get a dog ASAP!

It's a corner site with a low wall and hedges along the wall on the garden side about 6ft high. I don't think we can put a high fence in as it adjoins a footpath, apparently you need to apply for planning but it's basically never given. Just wondering if anyone has any solutions re dog proofing from the hedge/garden side? Wire, mesh other? Honestly if we can't see a way to get this done it would be enough to make me pull out because I stupidly never thought of it before-well I did, I just didn't realise the difficulties in putting up a high fence that close to the footpath. We want a dog from a rescue so it's very important to us that we can demonstrate a secure garden and obviously we want our future dog to be secure too. Appreciate all thoughts. :D

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Can you put a wire mesh fence inside the boundary, without having to apply for planning permission? We have an 8' mesh fence between our yard and the field, with tall posts, the mesh is also about 18" across the yard, at right angles to the fence, and pegged down, to prevent dogs from going under the fence.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
So if I have got this right, you have a low wall on your boundary with a hedge on the inside. That should act to obscure a dog's view of people on the footpath so as long as you can put up a fence a dog can't get through inside that you should be ok and fingers crossed not need planning permission. You could use wire netting to whatever height you want or perhaps consider woven hurdles. I have seen some lovely 6' ones. Hedge can be allowed to grow up as well and thicken up as long as you keep it trimmed on the footpath side. I am sure this can be sorted.
Also, if a rescue won't accept your fencing, then buy a dog and choose one that will fit your environment.

smolmaus

Visit site
A solid fence on a corner site, I think - I am not an expert in building control permissions etc - can obscure line of sight for cars coming round the corner which is where the planning permission aspect comes in. A hedge is a way to get around that particular red tape but I think anything inside the hedge would still have to be wire or mesh.

Also some of your smaller, local rescues ??? only ever seem to get small dogs who won't need a 6tf fence and don't have rigid rules about them either.

ArklePig

Visit site
Thank you all!

I think I may have explained it poorly. Errin has it right, there is a low wall on the footpath side, then a very large hedge (about 6 foot I would guess) along the perimeter and then my garden. So any dog will be not be visible from the road nor will they be able to see the road, however, I'm afraid of the dog getting through the hedge and over the wall if that makes sense. I would post a photo but it's not my house (yet!)

I can't believe I was lying awake concerned about the fencing of a house that I haven't even exchanged on yet for a hypothetical dog. Is this what the house buying process does to you?!

@smolmaus will you please give me a dog when the time comes!

smolmaus

Visit site
Is this what the house buying process does to you?!

@smolmaus will you please give me a dog when the time comes!
That's not even that mad for all the possible hypotheticals you can stress yourself out about! At one point we were doing spreadsheets for an extra 3 minute walk to the train station.

I will insinuate myself into the doggy homecheck group specifically. I can sort you a couple of shitlands as well, how big is this garden ?

tda

Visit site
Dog could be tied up while outside?
Our terriers go out on a lunge line at the side of our house, tied to a very big heavy pallet, our garden is not yet secure. They can mosey around, wee and sniff and see stuff, If it's sunny they lay out.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I have a low front wall on my rental property but the dogs are never out there alone/entertaining themselves, I'm always with them and often they're on flexi leads just to be on the safe side.
The older two have a good look at people or dogs walking past but don't run or jump or bark. The young one is a WIP because some dickhead let his spaniel jump in and chase her when she was a puppy, but we're working on it. This arrangement probably wouldn't suit everyone or meet most rescue's requirements but my dogs have a varied, active and well-travelled existence. You could also look at a good dog run if you have the space.

ArklePig

Visit site
Lots of food for thought here and I'm glad we have options. Dog won't be left alone in the garden to entertain himself but I would rather the garden be as secure as possible as I would like to rescue and accident's happen so I'd feel better if I'd done as much mitigation as possible. Sorry about your puppy Corvus, some dog owners can be a liability can't they!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
No worries, it was more to make the point that I haven't lived in a house with a fenced in garden since 1999 and the dogs have been fine, one can make it work if one is careful lol.
I've caught him at it (letting the dog run around the garden) a couple more times since and while I tried to be reasonable, I had to contact the dog warden in the end. All I asked him to do was keep it on a lead passing by my house, it's literally only a few metres.