Dog put to sleep - did I do the right thing?

I_am_a_cucumber

Visit site
We had to have our dog put to sleep a few days ago. He had been having fits and when I took him to the vet his heart rate was very low - in the 30s (36 I think?), the vet had only ever seen one other dog with such a low heart rate. The vet said the only real 'treatment' for a dog with such a low heart rate would be a pace maker, which did not seem the right option for such an old dog. (We don't know how old he was exactly as he was a rescue dog, but he must have been a fair age.) The only other option really was to put him to sleep as he would have just suffered more and more fits otherwise. He looked so scared and distressed when he had a fit. :(

I did opt to have him put to sleep there and then, he just looked so tired. :( He went very peacefully. But now I'm wondering if I made the right decision. Would there have been another option? Should I have tried something else? I feel like I betrayed him. :(

ETA: Apologies for such a morose post! I will at least make it green to make it a bit more cheerful. ;)

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss IAC - but yes, you definitely did the right thing without any question. Thank you for being a loving, caring owner who was prepared to make that hard decision.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
You did the right thing, it's hard with old age as you never know when the time has come, but part of being a responsible owner is shouldering that.

Star_Chaser

Visit site
personally I would have done the very same thing. I can't bare to see an animal suffer and try to stick to the quality over quantity rule of life. Its never easy to make the right decision and only you will know if it was for you.

joosie

Visit site
Don't second-guess yourself here. What's done is done. I am a believer in following your instinct in situations like this - if it seemed like the right thing at the time, it probably was.

weaselwords

Visit site
Of course you did the right thing. Don't give yourself such a hard time. You spared your animal a lot of suffering.

harveysmom

Visit site
I feel for you
give yourself some time to grieve
i was in your position a few years ago with my dog you dont want to let them suffer
He will be waiting for you at rainbow bridge

Ce'Nedra

Visit site
I am sure that you did the right and brave thing. Better a week early than an hour to late in my opinion. I do remember ti being a very hard decision, and you must allow yourself time to grieve. However please don't look back and thing what if. The decision was made and it was the right decision. Look after yourself.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Dont beat yourself up, you did the right thing for your dog. I think everyone thinks this way, did I do the right thing, what else could I have done, its natural to feel this way and its only people who really care for their animals who think this way. Im very sorry you lost your dog but take comfort in the thought you put your dog first and didnt allow him to suffer, you also rescued him and gave him a good life.

lpeacock

Visit site
You did the kindest thing. He is at rest now zooming round the sky. Surgery is a risky option especially at a later age. It may not have been successful and would cause more discomfort than needed.

I am sorry for your loss x

I_am_a_cucumber

Visit site
Thank you everybody. Your kind replies have made me cry. :eek:

I think I know I've made the right decision and I completely trust that particular vet. But still... He was such lovely old dog. I miss him! It was strange this morning, having a shower without him occupying virtually all of the bath mat, leaving me only a couple of inches to put my feet on. And when I drop food I keep thinking I don't need to pick it up because he'll come and 'hoover' it up.

Anyway, thank you again for your kind words. :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
You know your own animals and you knew when it was time. Don't worry yourself over it, you've done the right thing, the best and kindest thing. My sympathies for your loss.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. I think you absolutely did the right thing for your lad, I just saw this poem on fb, hope it helps.

You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young dog once again.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Gosh that poem made me howl....... so beautiful.

Couldn't pass this thread without saying how sorry I am to hear of your loss OP: but rest assured you did the right thing, the very best thing you could for your old friend. The trauma of surgery to an older dog versus any perceived "quality of life" just doesn't level up in the balances - and IMO your vet is obviously a kindly soul committed to the welfare of the dog in this case.

Your dog would thank you for being such a caring and compassionate owner; you were there and so there was no trauma, only peace & love.

So sorry.........yes its always awful when they're not around anymore, so feel for you.

tessa1965

Visit site
I think your dog told you it was time to go and it is always hard to be the one to make the decision. You did the very best for your friend and wouldn't we all like to slip away peacefully when the pain wasn't too great. I wish your dog a safe journey to Rainbow Bridge and send you my deepest sympathy.

Supertrooper

Visit site
It's natural that you are questioning your decision, it's part of the grieving process - is there more I could of done.

In this case no, you did the right thing for your boy and ended his suffering. Yes you could potentially of sorted his low heart rate out, but there would be no guarantees and it wouldn't of sorted the fits out for him.

He was an old boy, who'd had your love and care for the remaining years of his life and you made the right decision at the end and were with him.

You loved him enough to let him go, don't forget that xxxx

Sending you big hugs, I've been there xxxxx

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
couldnt just read and run and know exactly where you are coming from.. i have always has this guilt trip after losing an animal but in every case , once the grieving was less i knew i had done the right thing for them. it sounds like you made your decision based on your boy so please dont feel guilty . once some time has passed you will feel more comfortable with your decision...

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Absolutely x

We might be considered 'harsh' but there are three definite PTS rules in our house, and one of them is fitting. You've done the fairest thing IMO.

partypremier

Visit site
Having the same guilty battle with myself right now too. On one hand it doesn't feel right to end a life of someone you love so much but on the other we have given them absolute pain free dignity. It's so painful to let them go free but it is what is best for their quality of life & doggy being that matters most.
Big hugs & heaps of understanding coming your way & well done for giving a rescue dig a good life x

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
You done the right thing, I felt the same when my old Clumber was pts, but knew it needed to be done. RIP

EffyCorsten

Visit site
You are very brave I commend you for putting your dogs needs head and shoulders above your own. Last year just before Christmas my mum called me for advice on weather to have their old boy pts as he was clearly not getting better (had tumor and got a bug) it's normal to wonder if you did the right thing afterwards but it obviously was the right thing for your lovely dog and always know that it's the kindest most selfless thing to do. I'm so sorry for your loss, I lost my big boy when I was 18 I had him from the age of four and it still catches in my throat to think of the last night I spent on the kitchen floor next to his bed to comfort him until my mum took him to the vets the next morning. You did the right thing, so many of us don't through misguided love so please take some comfort from that I hope time will make you feel better about it.

I_am_a_cucumber

Visit site
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread!

Thank you again everybody for your supportive posts. I know I made the right decision, but it was hard!

Anyway, I knew we wouldn't last long without a dog - the house felt very empty! We planned to get another oldie from a rescue after a few weeks. Which we did ... and then we somehow ended up with another two... So now we have three dogs, all rather old, very deaf and with various degrees of arthritis and occasional incontinence issues. :D We are obviously quite mad. :eek: