Dog recall - coming right to hand.....

{97702}

Visit site
I’ve noticed that Colin puppy seems to be reluctant to come right back to my hand when I call him and I’m getting a bit concerned why this is.

Millie lurcher has always been reluctant to come back in from the garden ever since I’ve had her, from her behaviour it’s very clear that someone has previously stood at the back door and booted her/smacked her in some way as she has come in. I’ve worked so hard on this over the years (not least because it’s really annoying to have a dog standing in the garden just looking at you when you are calling her!) and we are making real progress now, she always gets a treat when she comes in so she is a lot more responsive. I praise her hugely when she comes in etc

Now obviously I know that Colin has never EVER been reprimanded in any way when I’ve called him to me, he always gets a cuddle and a kiss, a happy voice and a treat if I have one. But I’ve noticed that he is also being a bit evasive in the garden - when I call him, he will come over to me but will stay just out of reach? Sometimes I have to play ‘catch’ with him in amongst the patio table/chairs, or use some subterfuge (rattling the food bowl) to entice him into the kitchen.

It’s been so long since I’ve had a puppy - is this normal? Is it something I’m doing wrong? What on Earth have I done to make him be like this? ?

when we were on holiday he would fairly frequently come back to me on a walk for reassurance and a cuddle (i then had to try and train him not to jump up!) but again when we were around the lodge, things and smells were more interesting and he would take some time to respond

He is such a happy joyful little soul, I hate to think I’ve got it wrong with him!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Wee dog can be like that at times. Maybe it's a terrier thing...

They all come to one particular word. They always get a treat. They don't have to do anything other than just come to me. I can call it across a field and the entire pack will come hurtling along, which is grand and reduces stress all round. I'll use it when they're close as well so they don't think that being far away means a treat.

{97702}

Visit site
That’s a relief - I know I’m over analysing because of Millie, but it was concerning me a bit! I need to get organised and give him some proper training I think, maybe some scent work but definitely on recall and the basics like that ?

I’ve always been so used to having my gorgeous Amy lurcher who would teach them all recall for me as hers was 100% perfect, it’s strange not to have her around any more ?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yep it's fairly normal, a lot of them identify recall with the end of the game/freedom/clipping the lead back on/going back inside/back to the car and stay outside the critical zone.
Some dogs are just inherently protective of their own personal space.
Try to be as un-grabby as possible ;) loads of recalls and reward and then release/free time again.
For lightning recalls we get someone to restrain the dog (hold in the collar or by leash) run away, call dog and verbally mark at their fastest point and then reward with either ball or food between the legs (you've got to be fast at the reward delivery or you'll get taken out lol).
But the reward must come when they're as close as possible.

twiggy2

Visit site
Don't release the treat until you have a hand on him, build up to not releasing the treat until you have fingers in the collar. Or you can also give one treat and then a second treat and 'create a pause' and lengthen the pause and introduce the touch.
Also be mindful to call him put him on the lead, give a few treats one after the other and then let him off again.
Your not doing anything wrong some dogs just don't have a natural pause.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Handful of kibble on the floor between your feet. Once he's eaten those... Throw one bit of kibble away to chase. When he's eaten that and turns to look at you... "Gooooooooood!" Kibble (handfull) between feet... insert recall cue he runs in. Once he's speeding back to you like a little rocket: Switch cue and reward presentation around so cue comes first. Many reps over many short sharp sessions. Teaches them the good stuff is right by your feet but the fun doesn't stop there because he gets to chase a bit of kibble away afterwards too.

Also I would marker train a collar touch, progressing to collar grab to get him used to that and to see it as a good thing. Collar, mark, reward etc.

Something the Sprollie does which is really useful is a butt bump ? otherwise known as a hip target. I hold out a flat palm to the side and he reverses into it. When he's a bit stressed he tends to face me and reverse to the end of his lead which is not great at the vets for example. His butt bump brings him back under my feet rather than under anybody else's. I'm not sure how I taught it though cos this is the Sprollie and I'm never sure if it was me or him who came up with the idea for his tricks.

I'm sure you haven't done anything to cause a problem but a lot of puppies benefit from being actively taught stuff like that proximity and handling other than lovely scratches is still good, it doesn't come natural unless they are velcro dogs. And even then some things can be tricky.

Roxylola

Visit site
I tend to call my quite a bit one roams and if she gets a scent I'm forgotten, so I like for us to check in every few minutes - I'm cool up to 10 minutes but if it's more than that I worry. The other is a bit velcro so less of an issue, but if she loses sight of me (chasing squirrels at this time of year especially) she panics and bolts a bit randomly ?
Can you guess which is which ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201013-223924_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201013-223924_Gallery.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201013_223945.jpg
    20201013_223945.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 11

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I've used rope ties on all my puppies while recalling them in from the garden. The rope should be the right length for the end of the rope to reach the floor + around 10 cm extra. The extra bit is for you to be able to put your foot on, that way it isn't always your hands which catches him.

And for the times when they don't come, and sit down nearby you, the tie is often easier to grab hold of with your hands than an agile puppy.

50473625872_196b2cba03_z.jpg

Places that sells stuff for canoeing, and other outdoors activities, seems to have the best ropes which doesn't burn your hands, and you can buy them in small lengths.

ETA Used in combination with lots of treats in the beginning, if that needs saying.

Last edited:

Widgeon

Visit site
Sounds like a terrier to me ??

In fairness I have never been the most disciplined trainer but Ted is good in every other way but recall is absolutely not on his radar. ?

Ours is the same. Excellent in all ways, but recall....not so much. He'll do it if there are no better options, which is obviously not the point. And he does exactly the same as the OP describes, coming back but staying just out of reach. It's not for want of training effort on our part...he knows what to do, he'd just rather go after the pheasant (etc).

The guy in the video seems great, but I would love to find someone who can show me how to achieve the same end with a terrier, not a collie / lab / spaniel.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ours is the same. Excellent in all ways, but recall....not so much. He'll do it if there are no better options, which is obviously not the point. And he does exactly the same as the OP describes, coming back but staying just out of reach. It's not for want of training effort on our part...he knows what to do, he'd just rather go after the pheasant (etc).

The guy in the video seems great, but I would love to find someone who can show me how to achieve the same end with a terrier, not a collie / lab / spaniel.

He has a 'problematic' rescue corgi cross too :p, he's been at olympia the last few years with him.

{97702}

Visit site
Can confirm, excellent recall to a shaken treat tin and "what's this"

I have to say, I got brilliant recall on the beach from mad Millie lurcher due to the introduction of sausage treats during her scent work training - it’s amazing the difference treats make ????

I know, I know, you all told me - YOU WERE RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG ????

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Have to admit though Spaniel has excellent recall to feet and collar grab out and about he sometimes gets "stuck" when on the wrong side of a doorway at home. I've given up on life and just go rattle around in the biscuit tin to get him moving again these days. Entirely the wrong approach! But it hasn't made the issue worse, if anything it's still got slightly better even though it shouldn't have.

palo1

Visit site
I have to say, I got brilliant recall on the beach from mad Millie lurcher due to the introduction of sausage treats during her scent work training - it’s amazing the difference treats make ????

I know, I know, you all told me - YOU WERE RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG ????

Oh goodness me -treats all the way here!! :p:p I think it might be hard to persuade something of terrier type that you are more interesting than something/anything in the garden unless you are offering play or food tbh but I am a dog trainer of very little talent and am delighted only to have a terrier with good recall - regardless of his motivation, I am still amazed that he turns up when I ask him to!!

Widgeon

Visit site
I am a dog trainer of very little talent and am delighted only to have a terrier with good recall - regardless of his motivation, I am still amazed that he turns up when I ask him to!!

Don't do yourself down, you've obviously done something very right!! I'm off to find some videos of Dave and his naughty Corgi, see if I can pick up some tips over my lunch break.

palo1

Visit site
Don't do yourself down, you've obviously done something very right!! I'm off to find some videos of Dave and his naughty Corgi, see if I can pick up some tips over my lunch break.

Aw thank you! To be honest I do see and know my limitations but I am, on occasion, positively smug about my little terrier's recall; it is something to be proud of even if he doesn't know (hasn't been trained!!) any other commands :p:p I would love to train a 'stop' actually so might think about that. :)