Dog scent marking

MileyMouse

Visit site
I have a 9 year old dog jack russell (castrated) and a 9 month old Labrador dog (uncastrated).

A couple of months ago the jack russell occasionally started to wee up the dog feed bins which are kept in the boot room. I have used a enzymatic cleaner each time to clear it up. As the weeks have passed he has gradually started to do it more and more, upto three times daily. I then put a stair gate across the doorway to stop him going in the room. This worked for a couple of weeks but he has now started to just wee in the kitchen instead and also on the puppies bed once! I have caught him in the act a couple of times and he has had a stern No and taken out into the garden to wee, but he still does it.

He is due his jabs next week so I will get the vet to check him in case he does have an infection etc but I am pretty sure that he is trying to assert his authority as top dog with the puppy.

I have always made sure that he gets attention first when I come down in the morning or come into the house etc, he is also always fed first.

Is there anything I else I can try ? I am really fed up of clearing up wee now ! I am hoping that when the puppy is castrated that peace may resume but the vets have said they have to wait until he is 12 months.

Clodagh

Visit site
Firstly,please do not get your pup done until he is at least 2 years and possibly consider not getting him done at all. Testosterone is vital to growing dogs, both physically and emotionally.
I would tell the JRT off, but I am old fashioned, there may be more modern suggestions. :) (BTW the cvastration thing is both old fashioned and making a come back as a valid opinion!).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would tell the jrt off in no uncertain terms, that is unacceptable behaviour. I would clean up with a non-biological cleaner, ime biological cleaners just encourage more scent-marking.
I would definitely follow the vet's advice about the minimum age to castrate.

I will say that the most difficult dogs I have ever had to house-train were 2 jrt bitches, who were living with very clean Labs. Those little horrors put us off terriers for ever!

skinnydipper

Visit site
I am probably not the best person to give advice as none of my dogs scent marked in the house and they lived in a multi-dog household.

I think you have the right approach, ie verbally interrupt the behaviour and direct him outside. Nothing can be achieved after the fact.

He may be asserting himself but equally he may be feeling insecure with the disruption to the status quo and feels reassured by his own scent. If that is the case then the last thing he needs are forceful corrections which will further undermine his confidence.

In my experience, dogs instinctively know where they stand in the pack hierarchy and the top dog is not necessarily who you would have picked for the job. Some dogs are more comfortable lower down the totem pole. It may be that rather than asserting himself as top dog, he is uncomfortable with the role he has been allocated. Obviously you are in the best position to observe pack dynamics.

I would leave the puppy entire, certainly until maturity but my preference would be not to castrate at all.

I had a dog who was abandoned by Travellers and unused to living indoors. House training did not take long but I found Simple Solution an excellent product for dealing with toileting indiscretions during that initial period.

I am sorry I cannot offer any useful suggestions for your predicament.

Best of luck. It must be a very frustrating situation for you to deal with.

Moobli

Visit site
Must be very frustrating. I’d do the same as you have been doing. Interrupt the behaviour, straight outside and praise for going out there.

I’d also be in no rush to have your Lab neutered and would certainly wait until he’s physically and mentally mature.