Dog shampoo

Dizzle

Visit site
Due to the weather being as it is, coming home from the yard the dog needs to be showered before he can do anything, I tend to just use a warm shower to rinse the mud off but when he dries he starts to smell a bit, well a bit like a stable!

I'm guessing shampoo would probably resolve this issue and I just wanted some recommendations on what to buy or what other people use, he doesn't have any skin issues and he's wirehaired, not sure if this effects what to use or not (also on a selfish note I love the scent of lavender!)

s4sugar

Visit site
Mild human shampoo is fine as long at it doesn't contain silicones. Revlon flex is the mainstay of many show groomers but you can use dog, baby or horse shampoo instead.
Rinse well and don't use conditioner on wire hair.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Personally I would go with something hypo allergenic - a mild shampoo that's made for wire coated dogs. They are usually highly concentrated so a little goes a very long way and should be diluted. Also, a good way of neutralising odors and preventing the shampoo from hanging on the coat - is diluting some vinegar and pouring that over. I groom 30 dogs a week and nearly every one gets a vinegar rinse. Excellent for leaving a squeaky clean shiny coat. And don't worry, he'll not smell of a chippy ;)

I'm also a fan of Superfine for day to day stuff - and if you're looking for something that's mild enough for daily use

http://www.technogroom.co.uk/catalog/superfine-all-breeds-herbal-extract-shampoo-250ml-p-413.html

Last edited:

kal40

Visit site
I usually use the Wahl one which I have for the horse. Dirty Beastie I think. Brings my chocolate lab up wonderfully.

Hi-jacking a little (sorry Dizzle) but my problem is getting the smell of horses wee off the dog after she has been to the farm. An ideas anyone?

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I usually use the Wahl one which I have for the horse. Dirty Beastie I think. Brings my chocolate lab up wonderfully.

Hi-jacking a little (sorry Dizzle) but my problem is getting the smell of horses wee off the dog after she has been to the farm. An ideas anyone?

vinegar (see my post above)

Grumpy Jewel

Visit site
I thought baby shampoo was not recommended. I brought the johnsons no more tears one thinking it would be nice and mild, but read online the ph levels are not good, something to do with not stinging little eyes if it goes in them?. I used it once and am now left with a full bottle.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I thought baby shampoo was not recommended. I brought the johnsons no more tears one thinking it would be nice and mild, but read online the ph levels are not good, something to do with not stinging little eyes if it goes in them?. I used it once and am now left with a full bottle.

"not recommended" by whom?

If someone asks me about baby shampoo - my advice is "there are better dog grooming shampoos than using baby shampoo - but if in a pinch it's not going to do any harm.

It's true that animal skin/hair is a different pH level than human - but the shampoos that are created for each generally will be a wide enough range to cover both species. However using a specific dog grooming shampoo will be more specific for dog skin and hair type. Many of them are concentrated, so while they seem expensive, they actually last a pretty long time compared to human shampoo - and they generally perform better that way.

The last thing about vinegar - it strips out any residual shampoo and leaves the hair naturally squeaky clean. It is mildly antibacterial so removes some of the causes of the whiffyness. Obviously if a dog has a serious skin disorder it's better to get something from a vet. But we're talking about dirt and malodour from naturally occurring doggy activities. Vinegar tends to neutralise odors pretty effectively. Leaves a lovely shine. And it's cheap.

Dizzle

Visit site
FAB! I will pick up some vinegar on the way back from the yard this afternoon, or I could just spend the morning eating pickled onions! :D

s4sugar

Visit site
The pH of a dog's skin varies from 5.5 to 7.5. Human skin is around 6 to 7.5 so there is no truth in the different pH myth. Dogs hair does come in more forms than human hair and some shampoos suit some types & not others. Vinegar has a pH ( usually) of between 2 & 3.
Baby shampoo used to be formulated to clear cradle cap so was quite harsh however about ten years ago many brands dropped this requirement and the no sting makes it a good idea for wriggly dogs with hairy faces.