Dog sitter: what to expect (rant alert!)

bubbilygum

Visit site
Our dog has been going to a dog sitter each week day for over a year now, and at first it all seemed great, but lately I have been getting less impressed with the service we are being provided with.

To begin with I was dropping our dog off each morning, but now very often she is collected (I have no idea what time) and often when I collect our dog after work, the dog sitter herself isn't there and I'm collecting our dog from her husband or son (who is a teenager).

I often drive past her house at lunch time and her car isn't there, and yesterday her van also wasn't there at about 3pm (I happened to be passing at this time, I'm not a stalker!) and now I am wondering how often she is actually there.

This morning I dropped our dog off, nobody was in, I had to let myself in and leave our dog with other dogs I didn't know. I shut my dog away in the kitchen with another dog who was waiting to be let in (a Labrador), as one of the dogs there disliked the Labrador (snarling and snapping!) and there was no way I could leave them alone, and the Labradors owner seemed concerned too.

Would this be acceptable to you? I understand she also walks dogs for people in the day, but for what I pay each day I could get two more dogs of my own and leave them to entertain themselves all day, which is what seems to be happening now! The whole reason we take her to a dog sitter each day as we felt this was better for her than being left alone in the day with only a lunch time visit and a dog walker visit, but now I feel she is being left alone all day, but in someone else's house, with a load of random dogs, and I am paying for it!

I'm not sure what to do; am I being unreasonable to expect her to be there a majority of the time, and at the very least at drop off/collection time? I'm concerned as to how long dogs are given to acquaint themselves with each other before they are left alone without human supervision. I did say I wasn't very happy this morning (especially with a snappy snarling dog there) but I was assured that all the dogs know each other and were only alone for five minutes (which just made me feel like I wasn't being listened too :()

Any comments/suggestions please? Am I being unreasonable, or is she?

Sandstone1

Visit site
No your not being unreasonable at all! I would not be happy with that arrangement. No way should dogs be left that dont know each oth. I would rather leave my dog at home with a lunch time vist than paying some one for a service like that.

wipeout

Visit site
You are not being unreasonable. I would have chucked my toys out of the pram and not left my dog.

bubbilygum

Visit site
Thanks for your replies!

I don't know if the dogs know each other but there were a couple of dogs there I hadn't seen before - they could be there every day but leave before I arrive but I'm not sure!

I don't have a key but she has a combi lock on the gate and the door was unlocked.

I'm trying not to get too worked up about a bad day, but I have noticed increasingly that her car isn't there when I drive past in the day (I'm not a stalker, it's en route to my house!) and often she collects my dog rather than me dropping her off now. My other half has been home a few times when she has been collected though and it's usually only half an hour to an hour later than her normal drop off time, but it's just not what I signed up for so to speak!

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I own ten dogs. You are not being unreasonable. I would never in a million years leave a dog unsupervised (or even supervised) if a snarling dog had access to it!! In fairness to your dog sitter I suspect that some of the time her car is missing she is taking YOUR dog for a walk. I would not leave a dog with a dog sitter who had more than six 'foster dogs' and I would not allow or expect a single dog sitter to take more than three dogs for a walk at any time. I've owned dogs for years, mine are an easy going and non aggressive bunch, but even I would not feel completely in control if I had more than three dogs with me at any one time. And I'm talking about my OWN dogs, those I train and which are used to me. Three dogs that are owned by others would be more than enough to deal with at any one time.

bubbilygum

Visit site
In fairness to your dog sitter I suspect that some of the time her car is missing she is taking YOUR dog for a walk.

As far as I know, my dog isn't taken for walks during the day; I have never asked for her to be taken for walks and its never been mentioned that she has been! Equally I've never been charged extra for walks. I wouldn't particularly mind if she was but as far as I know she isn't.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Money for old rope springs to mind. Poor dogs, all of them. It sounds like a very low end type dog minder, who is probably only interested in the income and has no real concern for the dogs entrusted to her. I would be looking for a much more secure and safe set up for my dog, sooner rather than later.:(

bubbilygum

Visit site
My doggy seems happy enough but equally she was happy enough when she was at home with lunch time visits and extra morning walks. For a while I've been of the opinion that if my dog is happy then I'm happy, but I'm not happy paying someone to keep my dog in their house while they go off earning money elsewhere by dog walking etc. it's a bit cheeky isn't it?

I don't want to make a snap decision that leaves my dog worse off/less happy, but also I am concerned (perhaps unreasonably so, as I've no reason to believe this has or would happen) that if a scrap was to break out and nobody was there, it could be very nasty and also I'm not sure where it would leave us/her/other owners if a dog was to be injured when left alone?

I think I'm probably feeling like I'm being taken for a mug and paying for a non-service more than anything else! It isn't cheap and I don't feel like I am getting value for money (today especially)!

(Also wanted to add that the snappy dog was probably feeling a bit cornered and crowded by the two big dogs bounding in - I don't think he was trying to pick a fight particularly but I was a bit unsure of it at the time!)

bubbilygum

Visit site
So if your dog isnt walked, why do you use her services?

Mostly so she isn't alone all day, and has the company of other dogs, and more opportunities to go out in the garden etc. When I started working full time I wanted to make sure she was somewhere where she wasn't bored all day, which she isn't when she is at the dog sitters, so I guess in this respect the dog sitter is fulfilling the purpose we hired her for!

We walk her ourselves, so she isn't NOT walked, but just not walked in the day by the dog sitter.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
that if a scrap was to break out and nobody was there, it could be very nasty and also I'm not sure where it would leave us/her/other owners if a dog was to be injured when left alone?

Seriously.....where would it leave you/her/other owners. Catch on to yourself, where will it leave your poor dog is surely the point?

So you feel like you are being taken for a mug, what is happening to your 'doggie' during the course of the day doesn't seem to be your priority frankly? The money the dog sitter is taking from you and the lack of service seems paramount, I see very little real concern for your dogs needs. More that you feel you aren't getting your moneys worth, not how it might be impacting on your dog.

Why do you actually own a dog?:mad:

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
Maybe I'm just too fussy but if I was paying someone to take care of my dog for the day I would expect them to be with the dog for the majority of the time. I'd expect the dog to be walked and to be groomed as and when necessary. If your dog is being left alone with unknown dogs for long periods he or she is at risk and the 'dog sitter' is getting money for old rope!!!

bubbilygum

Visit site
that if a scrap was to break out and nobody was there, it could be very nasty and also I'm not sure where it would leave us/her/other owners if a dog was to be injured when left alone?

Seriously.....where would it leave you/her/other owners. Catch on to yourself, where will it leave your poor dog is surely the point?

So you feel like you are being taken for a mug, what is happening to your 'doggie' during the course of the day doesn't seem to be your priority frankly? The money the dog sitter is taking from you and the lack of service seems paramount, I see very little real concern for your dogs needs. More that you feel you aren't getting your moneys worth, not how it might be impacting on your dog.

Like I said, my dog is happy, healthy and not once in over a year has the thought of a scrap occurring even crossed my mind before today, and to be honest this is only due to a bad start this morning!

The same could be said for anywhere I took my dog, another dog sitter, a kennels, on a walk!?

If I genuinely felt my dog was in danger of course I wouldn't take her there! Not ONCE has there been an issue, this was a hypothetical question. I know full well the dog sitter assesses each dog when the arrive (I went though the process myself!) and no nasties are allowed.

Each time I have been there (bar the snappy one today) they have all been happily playing!

bubbilygum

Visit site
Wanted to reiterate that I do not feel my dog is at risk. Sorry if I came across this way before - this would be a totally different conversation if that were the case!

Dexter

Visit site
Round here dog sitting means they walk your dog every time they go out to walk another dog. And insurance generally means they cant walk more than 5. I'd be furious at that sort of treatment!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Well I am sorry but the tittle YOU chose for YOUR thread did include the words 'rant alert' - so if it is all so flipping marvelous where you leave your dog why are you 'ranting'? And why ask for an opinion if you are so very satisfied with the service offered? Bewildered very.com

Inthemud

Visit site

I think that this post, especially the last sentence is unnecessarily aggressive. The OP has concerns, but clearly cares a lot about her dog, or would not have sought a sitter for it in the first place.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I think that this post, especially the last sentence is unnecessarily aggressive. The OP has concerns, but clearly cares a lot about her dog, or would not have sought a sitter for it in the first place.

The last sentence was a genuine and legitimate query Inthemud. From the tone of the OP's thread I see no indication of great concern for the dog, more a worry that they feel they are being ripped off. Not one mention of lack of exercise for the dog or human company and interaction. Just is she being ripped off? So why does she have a dog?

ladyt25

Visit site
The last sentence was a genuine and legitimate query Inthemud. From the tone of the OP's thread I see no indication of great concern for the dog, more a worry that they feel they are being ripped off. Not one mention of lack of exercise for the dog or human company and interaction. Just is she being ripped off? So why does she have a dog?

Hmm, I didn't read it like that. I read it as the OP was concerned that they were paying for the services of this dog sitter but were in fact just dropping their dog off to a house that, bar the other dogs being there, was not a lot different than the dog just staying at home (ie, with no humans about for a considerable part of the day).

Personally OP, if you were going home at lunch anyway and the dog isn't one who suffers from separation anxiety or needs loads and loads of exercise, I don't know why you just don't leave her at your own house. Maybe get a dog walker who will take her out for a good hour a day for some actual exercise instead?

bubbilygum

Visit site

Thank you Inthemud - my concern is my dog, and I will of course do ultimately what is best for her, whether that is being at home, at this dog sitters, at another dog sitters or another arrangement.

My issue is that (as the title of my thread explains) I am unsure whether this is standard practice, or whether I should expect more than what I am getting.

This is more similar, perhaps, to paying for full livery and feeling like you are only getting part livery. The horse isn't neglected or unhappy but you aren't getting what you expect!

My comments about dogs scrapping etc were more general musings about what COULD happen when dogs are left alone, not a fear or concern I have about my dog sitter - this was my fault for wording it badly, and perhaps being a bit of a wuss about seeing a snappy dog (who was probably saying "oi!" rather than "im gonna rip your face off!") first thing!

bubbilygum

Visit site
Also the lack of human company IS the issue - this and the getting-what-you-pay-for are the same in this instance, without one there isn't the other.

The dog walker suggestion is another avenue we are looking at. She gets a good walk each day already but this would help break up her day when we are out. This is initially what we looked to do but went for the dog sitter option instead.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Have you seen your dog sitter's insurance? I bet they are breaching the Ts & Cs by leaving multiple visiting dogs unseperated and unattended. Please check.

bubbilygum

Visit site
Have you seen your dog sitter's insurance? I bet they are breaching the Ts & Cs by leaving multiple visiting dogs unseperated and unattended. Please check.

I'm not sure I have - I am jotting down a few things I'd like to discuss with her so ill add that to the list, thank you.

It's funny, years of being a livery at a stables have left me simultaneously fearful of being a moaner and overly picky about everything. Insurance is a very valid point though, for both myself and the dog sitter.

stargirl88

Visit site
Sorry, but IMO your dog sitter (I'm assuming she does this as a business, a dog day-care place) leaving all the dogs in the house unattended (that aren't hers) is completely unnacceptable. I don't care if she's taking some of them for walks or not - or takes them out in seperate groups - they shouldn't be left. If she is running more services than she has time for then she should either hire an assistant or cut the services.

I really do think that is shocking! I know some owners are a little naive when it comes to dog sitting standards because their dog is alright, but I wouldn't be putting up with it. Why on earth would you give someone money for that, I've no idea.
OP - find another dog sitter.

bubbilygum

Visit site
Sorry, but IMO your dog sitter (I'm assuming she does this as a business, a dog day-care place) leaving all the dogs in the house unattended (that aren't hers) is completely unnacceptable. I don't care if she's taking some of them for walks or not - or takes them out in seperate groups - they shouldn't be left. If she is running more services than she has time for then she should either hire an assistant or cut the services.

I really do think that is shocking! I know some owners are a little naive when it comes to dog sitting standards because their dog is alright, but I wouldn't be putting up with it. Why on earth would you give someone money for that, I've no idea.
OP - find another dog sitter.

I think naive is the correct word Stargirl! I think I have always felt that as long as my dog is happy then it's all okay, but now I'm starting to feel like that's actually not quite right.

CAYLA

Visit site
This is an accident waiting to happen!

I home board/have 2 day care dogs (because no one else) could manage them from another 5 minders (more like they where not walking them!!) as they are a dream here.

Would I ever let someone drop a dog into my home when im not here (NO WAY) that is Alarming, it's alarming any strange dogs are left alone unsupervised and by strange I mean (don't live together)

I personally would not day board anymore dogs I took the dogs I did as the girl was in a panick (she lives miles away) and travels a huge distance to bring me these dogs, (other option was to rehome) not an option!!, one is super high energy and the other would not let a dog walker in the house and its to long a day for 2 young active dogs as takes the owner an hour to get to me and back, (so I agreed to take them on) as obs boarding is my main priority and if you do it correctly then all dogs should get walked, and never be unsupervised (its not as easy as people think) unless it's done the way this person is with your dog (which to me sounds very dangerous) and sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
With boarding you have to prove you have adequate separation for dogs if you have a multi board licence (im not sure how day care business) can get away with this.:confused:

I personally would go back to a dog walker, I think a structured walk (as we provide) for a dog that will accept this and is not to young to be left long hours Is fine as a day breaker and yes OH walks 6 (all under control) very maneagable;) and 9 if im there:eek::p. He returns them home well worn out.

I can write our days routine out if you would like me to and it includes lots of walks, and using my doggy room if EVER the dogs are unsupervised as I WOULD NEVER EVER leave dogs from separate households unsupervised. Your carer is lax and she is getting away with it (simple)

CAYLA

Visit site
I'm not sure I have - I am jotting down a few things I'd like to discuss with her so ill add that to the list, thank you.

It's funny, years of being a livery at a stables have left me simultaneously fearful of being a moaner and overly picky about everything. Insurance is a very valid point though, for both myself and the dog sitter.

^^ this.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I agree with the other posters who say leave your dog at home and have a dog walker come in and I happen to think the present situation is an accident waiting to happen.

I often have friends dogs to stay when they go on their hols and even though they are all great friends with my dogs they are never left alone with them if I have to go out. I dont even leave our Lancashire Heeler alone with the Dobes because she is so small compared to them and I much prefer to be safe than sorry. Im lucky because I have enough rooms in my house and my friends do think Im a bit OTT but understand my reasons.

Im also horrified that anyone could have access to that house and could quite easily steal dogs or anyone else dropping off a dog could accidently let one out. Im just amazed that other clients are not thinking the same as you and voting with their feet.

cobalobM

Visit site
My mum has a dog walking/boarding business,
7:30am all dogs (our 2 + any that have stayed the night) go over the road (to the field) for toilet and stretch legs- normally about 5/10 mins
10:30 collect dogs that we are walking that day- always our 2 + another 2 or 3 depending on day and if we have any staying, if more than that we separate them out
They all get 1 hour- 1hour30min walk..
All go into garden and get hosed off and dried
our 2 + any staying get put into kitchen for biscuit/sleep
Take all others back home
our 2 + ones staying go out again for 30/40 mins at about 5:30, try not to get muddy so no hosing off again :rolleyes: the dinner and bed :)

one of ours though doesn't like dogs he doesn't know so generally we don't take on new dogs, if we do we have at least 2 walks together with other dog so they get used to each other.

To be honest I'm not sure why you take your dog there if it isn't getting walked?