Dog thefts

fankino04

Visit site
Yesterday on a local dog Facebook site I read 4 different posts about possible attempted dog thefts. Is this happening everywhere at the moment or is it just "our turn"?

fankino04

Visit site
One of the ones yesterday was someone apparently trying to take the lead from the owners hand, the other 3 were reports of people acting suspicious, or following the dog walker or stopping them and asking lots of questions so I guess they could be paranoid owners. I had a man stop me a few weeks ago to ask what breed noodle was, he then asked about her collar and bent down to look at it and read her name from the name tag, I thought he was just an odd bloke but maybe it was more sinister, noodle snapped at him coz he was too close so that got rid of him ?

skinnydipper

Visit site
One of the ones yesterday was someone apparently trying to take the lead from the owners hand, the other 3 were reports of people acting suspicious, or following the dog walker or stopping them and asking lots of questions so I guess they could be paranoid owners. I had a man stop me a few weeks ago to ask what breed noodle was, he then asked about her collar and bent down to look at it and read her name from the name tag, I thought he was just an odd bloke but maybe it was more sinister, noodle snapped at him coz he was too close so that got rid of him ?

According to posts on Facebook, this little dog is still missing.

"At around 3pm on Friday, January 18, the victim – a 71 year old woman, was walking her pet chihuahua, Luna, in Middlefield. Two offenders approached Luna and stroked her before one of them removed the lead and took her."

https://www.herts.police.uk/news-and-appeals/Appeal-following-dog-stolen-in-Hoddesdon-2418MD

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Local farm/livery yard/feed store had 1 x GSD bitch stolen and 1 seriously injured in the commission of the theft a couple of weeks ago. The last I heard there was no real clue as to where she is/who did it. And not for want of looking!

StableMum

Visit site
Several people in our village have found small crosses marked on their property, on the mail box or gate post, all are dog owners. There have been several reports of a particular vehicle in the area with men acting suspiciously and on several occasions taking an unnatural interest in dogs being walked. At the moment my dog is not being left alone in the house and if he's in the garden we make sure we know where he is. He's only being walked in the village with two of us rather than my usual walk alone along the quieter country roads. Having said all that there has been no report of any dogs going missing. We're in Wiltshire .

Hexx

Visit site
Definitely seems to be on the rise - we have had a couple of instances locally of men approaching women walking dogs and trying to snatch them away.

Smitty

Visit site
Thankfully there seems to be a decrease, round here anyway, of dogs left outside shops.

An elderly lady had her dog taken from her by a woman and 3 kids who made a fuss of it whilst she was walking it. This was a few days ago and is on the Facebook site One Big Bark. I don't believe it has yet been found.

There is a brief film on the BBC website which I found today on dog theft becoming more of a problem in lock down. Apparently it is so lucrative now with minimal sentences if caught, that organisations previously involved in drugs have turned to dog theft instead.

Stay safe everyone.

Widgeon

Visit site
I think the offence of stealing pets should be adjusted as the current law that covers it does not reflect the enormity of the effect it has on the victims the victims being the stolen pet and the owners .

Yes I agree, the current laws really don't reflect the emotional impact on the person who has been stolen from. And there should probably be some kind of animal abuse charge rolled up in it too.

Maryann

Visit site
I would love to have another dog after losing mine a few months ago but am actually put off the idea by all these dog thefts.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
All our gates are padlocked and there are cameras on them and the fence line - I've figured out how someone could take even the Grotts and I'm not taking any chances. They don't need walking per se as they get hours of outside time, though when I start again it'll be two of us and a mix of big n little to reduce the chance of an opportunistic swipe.

There are still good people out there. One of the Rotties went walkabout the other week and a couple found him on our 'main' road. They called me (number is on his tag), and waited patiently whilst I legged it back down the forest track I'd set off on in my hunt.

I have to say there are murderous thoughts in response to dogs being taken, especially from the old or infirm, and the law needs to do a very quick catch up.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
as i have an old collie and 2 tiny terriers i am quite worried and have stopped my evening walk in the dark for the time being....once the lighter evenings are back i will start again as the walking is good for me as well

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I'm south lincs and we have Van's driving round stopping people walking dogs to ask questions about them . We have had a few stolen locally as well. There are loads daily popping up on fb. I can't imagine what it's like to have your friend stolen. Heartbreaking.

Odyssey

Visit site
A lot have been stolen recently not that far from me, but I live in a heavily populated area in the south east. I feel sick every time I see yet another post about it on Facebook, it's heartbreaking to think of the horror the dog and owner are going through. An old lady with no family had her elderly Romanian rescue dog snatched on a walk last weekend, I can't stop thinking about them. ? I feel extremely vulnerable while walking my dog, and now dread taking him out. I'm so anxious about it that I wish I hadn't got him, and don't think I'll have another after him. I've had several of my on lead dogs attacked and injured, and worry enough about that, but the thefts on top are the final straw.

fankino04

Visit site
Was chatting to another dog walker yesterday and she said a friend of hers who's a pretty big guy had someone try to take the lead off him while he was walking his spaniel, apparently the guy was really aggressive and totally fronted up to him to to try and get him to give the dog up, owner pulled a big heavy torch out of his pocket and threatened the guy to get rid of him. It does make me quite worried as I'm doing about 8 walks a day at the moment (dog walker), and if they are willing to threaten a big bloke then....

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I have taken to carrying one of the very loud alarms, pull the pin and it lets rip. I am also sticking to well populated areas and keeping my eyes peeled for anyone suspicious. As a small older female I do feel very vulnerable. Wish I could take the dogs up to the field with me but just too muddy now.

Smitty

Visit site
I feel for everyone who has been made anxious about walking their dogs. I am one of those and try to go with a friend where possible.

I am 63, short and feeble with COPD so if anyone tries to take mine there would not be a lot I could do.

Unfortunately though, dog theft is lucrative. I have read of someone who has just last week handed over £3,000 to get his 3 dogs back and there are many posts on Facebook and other sites saying no police involvement, money handed over and no questions asked.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Just bumping this head.

Two (separate) reports on fb in the past 24 hours of puppies and puppies and dogs being stolen. One very close to me, the other 30 miles away. Collies and spaniels.

Nasicus

Visit site
There's been a few locally here recently too. Must admit, it makes me very nervous to take Missy out in public. She's small, friendly, fluffy and adorable, just right for swiping.

Odyssey

Visit site
The thieves even break into houses to steal dogs and puppies. ? How on earth do they know there's a litter of puppies in a house? I envy those with fierce looking GSD's, mastiffs etc. My greyhound is very friendly and wants to say hello to everyone. He's quite stubborn, so it would be very hard to rush off if I felt uneasy about people expressing an interest in him. He's a nice looking dog, but probably not as desirable as smaller dogs to be sold on. My friend very nearly had her old greyhound stolen a few years ago though. It's not just cute, fluffy dogs that get stolen, any dog has value for fighting bait. I reckon that would have been his fate. ?

Smitty

Visit site
Terrifying stuff on One Big Bark Facebook, but one lady has posted on there that she is meeting with Ian Duncan Smith to see what measures can be put in place to deal with the rise in dog theft and has asked for constructive suggestions that she can put to him.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Scary thought, and heartbreaking if it happens to you.
It's been happening around here too, usual MO seems to be 2 men, one approaches from behjnd while the one in front engages the walker in conversation. I'm avoiding popular dog walking areas and as I usually walk early mornings I don't see anyone much.
I don't have Juno's name on her collar, I understood it was safer not to.

Smitty

Visit site
Have stumbled across a site named Doghorn.uk which has been very recently created with some tips on what to look out for if your dog is about to be snatched from you directly, tips on what to do that could prevent it and then strategies if the thief succeeds. There is also merchandise to buy such as red dye spray, alarms and whistles, with suggestions of creating What's App groups to notify in your local area so that hopefully thief can be prevented from going far with the stolen animal.

Sorry, am awful at links so not posting one.. ?

maisie06

Visit site
Definitely seems to be on the rise - we have had a couple of instances locally of men approaching women walking dogs and trying to snatch them away.

Makes me want a Mali even more - and train it for personal protection, let them try and snatch that away....pure scum, and it would help if people stopped paying stupid prices for dogs, especially in lockdown..