Dog thefts

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Have stumbled across a site named Doghorn.uk which has been very recently created with some tips on what to look out for if your dog is about to be snatched from you directly, tips on what to do that could prevent it and then strategies if the thief succeeds. There is also merchandise to buy such as red dye spray, alarms and whistles, with suggestions of creating What's App groups to notify in your local area so that hopefully thief can be prevented from going far with the stolen animal.

Sorry, am awful at links so not posting one.. ?
Is it this group?
https://www.facebook.com/DoghornGroup/

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Reading this post makes me glad that Bo is so lead reactive. Would take a brave person to try and take him or Luna with him kicking off. Whether he would actually bite, I can’t say, but who knows.

As a previous poster said, our collar tags don’t have their names on, just my surname and contact details.

Smitty

Visit site
On One Big Bark, a Bichon type grubby dog has been picked up with a wound on its back where the chip has been dug out. It appears this happens so just how do you get your dog back if it has been pinched. Please have a look and see if you recognise it.

I have seen a suggestion that you have some dated and certified DNA (hair or something) in a sealed bag that you keep with the dogs microchip papers so if the chip is removed, you still have proof of ownership.

All well and good and worth doing, but if your chip has gone and a new one been implanted and registered, how the hell are you going to be notified your dog has been found.

Good news though is that some stolen dogs have been found with collaboration between Avon and Wiltshire police and 3 or 4 people arrested. I HOPE THEY GO TO Prison and not just get some fine or warning..

Smitty

Visit site
Local to me Elderly chap approached in the street by two men in a pick up wanting to buy his cockerpoo, they got quite insistent but luckily a passing dog walker intervened and they departed, dread to think what could have happened

Oh how awful for him and so so lucky as well with the intervention. I suppose too much to hope that the numberplate was noted.... Hopefully it will not put him off his exercise. Maybe we ought to set up local dog walking groups...

Moobli

Visit site
Working gundogs and sheepdogs seem to be being stolen with frightening regularity. Not a week goes by without more posts on social media about dog theft.

Shooting Times recently published an article about gundog kennels investing in guard dogs to protect the other dogs and I can see it taking off if the dog thefts continue to increase.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/gundogs/guard-dogs-to-guard-gundogs-118318

paddy555

Visit site
Working gundogs and sheepdogs seem to be being stolen with frightening regularity. Not a week goes by without more posts on social media about dog theft.

Shooting Times recently published an article about gundog kennels investing in guard dogs to protect the other dogs and I can see it taking off if the dog thefts continue to increase.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/gundogs/guard-dogs-to-guard-gundogs-118318

seems we have got to a sad state of affairs when you have to have a guard dog to guard your other dogs.:eek:

Moobli

Visit site
Where are the dogs found? Are they dumped or do the police track the culprits down? The four collie bitches belonging to someone we know haven't yet been found afaik :(

HobleytheTB

Visit site
What are they doing with all these dogs? Is there really that much of a market for adult dogs??

Assuming x% of adult dogs are neutered anyway and no good for breeding - which is obviously impossible to tell with bitches until after you've already got them. I understand stealing puppies, especially those of the 'fashionable' breeds such as frenchies etc, but is attempting to snatch an adult German shepherd etc really worth it?

[139672]

Visit site
I’ve heard before that some are used for dog baiting?. The thought of that breaks my heart. We’ve had a few dogs go missing near our small city. One found had jumped out of garden due to fireworks, 2 believed stolen but had been lost on a walk. One reported stolen and been missing about a week I think

BBP

Visit site
Where are the dogs found? Are they dumped or do the police track the culprits down? The four collie bitches belonging to someone we know haven't yet been found afaik :(
I think this was found wandering at the side of a road, not sure how far away. It was a trained gundog stolen from outdoor kennels. I assume there must be a working market for gundogs, rather than stealing them for bait or pets.

My guess though with the current market is that most stolen dogs are being stolen to sell as pets. Much bigger profit margin than stealing for bait at the moment. Even for adult dogs.

[139672]

Visit site
I saw a programme last year I think about gun dogs and they said many were stolen and sold abroad. A guy who did competitions had two stolen from his van out training the third dog in a wooded area. The police said the van had been fitted with a tracker and they reckon the thief or thieves had most likely been watching him at competitions to learn the dogs’ names and what training commands he used. So sad. They were beautiful labradors.

Clodagh

Visit site
I always wonder what happens to all the stolen adults as well. Shooting is a pretty small world and none on any shoots I have been on has turned up with an adult and not had papers or anything.
A friend lost her cocker spaniel on his afternoon walk yesterday, he had been taken but thankfully lots of facebook shares and someone hward a distressed dog in someones garden and called her. I don't know what then actually happened as the police are now involved.