Dog Tracker

texenstar

Visit site
Hi everyone!

I am getting a retired greyhound next week (eek!!) and I have been looking into getting her a tracker so if she does manage to make a runner I would be able to locate her (as there is no chance I'd be able to catch up with her!).

Does anyone use one for their dogs or have any experiences with them?

This is the one that seems to be mostly recommended:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tractive-Dog-GPS-Tracker-attachment/dp/B00F8A1ZBA?tag=rangersdog1-21

Thank you!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Yes, I use tractive and it is my favourite gadget ever! Below copied from a previous post. It has saved me so much stress the last year, I can't be without it now.

Yes I use Tractive, and its amazing. https://tractive.com/en/ I think AmyMay recommended it to me.
Ted is rarely off lead but he is an escape artist and the garden/fields are large enough that I use it mainly to stop myself having a breakdown when he takes his time to come when called at home...
The unit is about £40 and light enough that my small terrier is unbothered. You then pay a yearly subscription, I cant remember off hand what it is was but well worth the money IMO. It comes with an app which is super easy to use. Battery is about 3-4 days depending on how often Ive had to track him but it charges v quickly (couple of hours). The unit is v robust and waterproof, Ive had no issues so far, and hes been canoeing/swimming with it on.

Ive used the tracking feature a few times and its helped me pinpoint exactly where the blighter has got to.... Online reviews say its less effective in woodland, but Ive used it in our nearby woods and been happy with the results.

You can set up a virtual fence and it notifies you if they leave, which is its best feature IMO. Works abroad depending on your package, again a life saver when Im in France.
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/dog-tracking-devices.769465/#FBWokjUJeuYjFi2f.99

texenstar

Visit site
Yes, I use tractive and it is my favourite gadget ever! Below copied from a previous post. It has saved me so much stress the last year, I can't be without it now.

Yes I use Tractive, and its amazing. https://tractive.com/en/ I think AmyMay recommended it to me.
Ted is rarely off lead but he is an escape artist and the garden/fields are large enough that I use it mainly to stop myself having a breakdown when he takes his time to come when called at home...
The unit is about £40 and light enough that my small terrier is unbothered. You then pay a yearly subscription, I cant remember off hand what it is was but well worth the money IMO. It comes with an app which is super easy to use. Battery is about 3-4 days depending on how often Ive had to track him but it charges v quickly (couple of hours). The unit is v robust and waterproof, Ive had no issues so far, and hes been canoeing/swimming with it on.

Ive used the tracking feature a few times and its helped me pinpoint exactly where the blighter has got to.... Online reviews say its less effective in woodland, but Ive used it in our nearby woods and been happy with the results.

You can set up a virtual fence and it notifies you if they leave, which is its best feature IMO. Works abroad depending on your package, again a life saver when Im in France.
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/dog-tracking-devices.769465/#FBWokjUJeuYjFi2f.99

Excellent, thank you so much for your input! I did a quick search before starting this thread but obviously used the wrong search words as that thread didn't pop up :)

Thanks again!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
No worries, if you have any more questions give me a shout :)

They do provide an option to pay a bit more per month/year for Tractive care which is essentially theyll replace the unit for free if its damaged/lost. Depending on how adventurous your dog is it could be worth it!

I used the live tracking "properly" (ie, genuinely no clue where the dog had wandered off to!) for the first time over Christmas and it was v accurate and quick, showed me straight to the exact hedgerow he was pretending he knew about rabbits in!

CrazyMare

Visit site
Tractive is the one recommended on several greyhound pages I am on.

Remember to post photos of your greyhound when you get it. We like greyhounds on here.

{97702}

Visit site
Why's that? D:

I posted a similar question about my lurcher who likes to disappear after random wildlife, and I got significant comment from the many “experts” on HHO who thought I shouldn’t dare to let my dog off the lead if it wasn’t 100% robot with immediate recall at all times :D

As an aside not related to your thread texanstar, I am finding it interesting how many “new” users there are who are about to acquire/have just acquired new greyhounds since I de-activated my account 😊 I came back at the request of a friend who wanted my input into a different thread which purported to be about a newly acquired rescue greyhound, only for the poster to disappear..... despite being shown as online on quite a few occasions..... I’ve been on the forum quite long enough to be able to read between the lines 😊😊

MissTyc

Visit site
I use Tractive as well, and have recommended it on this forum before.
I like to know where he goes with his dog walker + it makes me feel safer when he's wearing esp in the woods. Many of the dogs that get lost in the woods here have bolted from a fight or a bird scarer.

texenstar

Visit site
I use Tractive as well, and have recommended it on this forum before.
I like to know where he goes with his dog walker + it makes me feel safer when he's wearing esp in the woods. Many of the dogs that get lost in the woods here have bolted from a fight or a bird scarer.

Thanks for your input :) I think I will be getting one for peace of mind :D

texenstar

Visit site
I posted a similar question about my lurcher who likes to disappear after random wildlife, and I got significant comment from the many “experts” on HHO who thought I shouldn’t dare to let my dog off the lead if it wasn’t 100% robot with immediate recall at all times :D

As an aside not related to your thread texanstar, I am finding it interesting how many “new” users there are who are about to acquire/have just acquired new greyhounds since I de-activated my account 😊 I came back at the request of a friend who wanted my input into a different thread which purported to be about a newly acquired rescue greyhound, only for the poster to disappear..... despite being shown as online on quite a few occasions..... I’ve been on the forum quite long enough to be able to read between the lines 😊😊

Now that you mention it, Levrier, I do recall reading part of your thread. Once I have the doggy settled in and have gotten on with some training I do intend to try and train some recall but we shall see how successfully it goes D:

I am still pretty confused, however, I think my brain has fogged over with new doggy excitement!

Thanks for your input :)

texenstar

Visit site
Introducing Bella! She's been here about 3 hours now and is already so settled! 50539610_1980303175351711_9191249658620411904_n.jpg

Attachments

• 50437953_768960233464836_2403688987056144384_n.jpg
    50437953_768960233464836_2403688987056144384_n.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 50471974_2150508484987791_4143006207696699392_n.jpg
    50471974_2150508484987791_4143006207696699392_n.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 50902136_368880697237743_8357026392507940864_n.jpg
    50902136_368880697237743_8357026392507940864_n.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 12