Dog trainer's

lady_annabelle

Visit site
Still struggling to find a dog trainer willing to work with my boy if anyone knows of a good one in Bolton that doesn't do treat training and willing to work with one that has to wear a muzzle when out please could you pm me he's three I have had him 18 months he is better than he was but still needs work.

lady_annabelle

Visit site
Sorry lost Internet. He's a Weimaraner x Doberman. Aggressive towards strangers particularly men and other dogs the dogs is since he was attacked depending on cost I would travel if it would help him fine with me and my little boy but he can still be funny with extended family especially if he doesn't see them alot hope that makes sense he has bitten in the past hence the muzzle

CAYLA

Visit site
Have you had him since a puppy? has he been to a trainer already, just interested with the "no treat comment":D
In what instance did he bite the humans and has he mixed with dogs freely without restrain at any stage. Is he neutered? (no bearing on behaviour) just interested?

lady_annabelle

Visit site
Have you had him since a puppy? has he been to a trainer already, just interested with the "no treat comment":D
In what instance did he bite the humans and has he mixed with dogs freely without restrain at any stage. Is he neutered? (no bearing on behaviour) just interested?

No I've had him since he was 18 months he is much better than he was but stuck in abit of a rut now. Yes he's been to four and so far all have given up on him :( I don't do treat training as he won't do it when it's needed he isn't food orientated whilst out and the problems arise. He was protecting me and my little boy which I don't have a problem with but everyone is saying no to training once I've mentioned this. Yes he is neutered but only once I got him he was done in the first week. Not that I know he will run wild with my mums but she is a very opinionated bitch so gives as good as she gets. He won't mix with another male without attacking I can't think of anything else except trying to explain what he does he really does go for an attack growling lunging barking but he is better when I walk him then other people he will try to pull them over when he goes for an attack quite hard to to explain if that makes any sense sorry for the essay

CAYLA

Visit site
I am 2 and a half hours from you so not ideal for popping across for training:D, but if you cannot find somewhere closer give me a shout, is him going to stay in a new environment to be assessed an option or do you specifically only want one on ones only? CC may have come up with something by now if she know a good trainer near to you. Will keep a watch on the post.:)

lady_annabelle

Visit site
Oh no I may do but I would want them to meet first as he can be abit of a shock but would consider it as he can't get the excersise he needs having to be on the lead all the time and its not fair

CAYLA

Visit site
Oh no I may do but I would want them to meet first as he can be abit of a shock but would consider it as he can't get the excersise he needs having to be on the lead all the time and its not fair

Indeed, meet with you and get a good history and see you handle him etc, not just transport him off:D but if it where a distance it may be a good thing for him to go for a little intergration time with a large pack in another environment;) more to assess his behaviours as obs an owner is needed for the on going training. :)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Nice one, you wont get a better trainer than Cayla. He sounds very much like my rescue Dobe, we got chucked out of positive training classes, they had never seen anything like him. I found an ex police dog trainer with no nonsense methods, not a treat in sight:rolleyes: and he helped sort him. He turned out to be the best dog Ive ever owned.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Mine was fine with people it was other dogs, if they barked in my presence he wanted to kill them, he would lunge,froth at the mouth he really looked a nasty piece of work. There are so many trainers out there willing to take your money and who are out of their depth with a really aggressive reactive dog. My dog was guarding me as well so I also had to step up to the mark and take charge.

Im sure if you go with Cayla she will sort it and her dogs are testimony to that.

Dry Rot

Visit site
The OP has an overly aggressive dog which cannot be controlled and a young child.

There is no answer to that, at least not a polite one that I can think of.

lady_annabelle

Visit site
If you read it properly he is extremely well behaved towards me and my child and it is towards other dogs and people he is aggressive I should point out that I also made it clear that I can call him off he does go to attack read a post properly before answering such a silly reply if he was a danger to me or my son I would not hesitate and I have not done in the past when needed.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
We had a dog who sounds very similar, not dog aggressive but aggressive towards strange humans, particularly when my dad left which made the dog up the ante a bit.
He did end up being PTS but my mum was on her own with a baby in tow (me) so I don't blame her. Hope your boy can be sorted.

Pendlehog

Visit site
Dont know if you have got this sorted yet but if not try Gordon Salmon. He is not a treat-based trainer and I'll warn you now he takes no cr*p but he is a nice chap and works with large and dog aggressive dogs every day. He is well known in the area for working with dogs no one else will.

http://www.canineexperience.co.uk/

lady_annabelle

Visit site
Like already stated he has not shown any form of aggression towards me or my son and when he did bite he was protecting us from a violent man p.s have a trainer now and he sees no problem all dogs can turn it is a risk anyone who owns takes and I would not hesitate if I thought he would be so inclined

Dobiegirl

Visit site
LA take no notice, I know you had answered the previous comment which was exactly the same as the current one:eek:

Ooh just noticed you now have a trainer, is it the one P recommended?, hope it all goes well, let us know how you get on as most of us are genuinely interested.

Last edited:

Dry Rot

Visit site
The dog has been seen by four trainers who won't take it on. The fifth has cried off with the excuse that he/she has been taken ill! It has bitten people so is known to be vicious and has to wear a muzzle in public. The OP has a young child in the house which it hasn't bitten....yet.

Isn't it time for a reality check?

Are there no quiet friendly dogs out there needing re-homing? How many people did that JR bite before killing a child? They are all friendly dogs which never showed any previous aggression until they do it. This dog is not one of those as it is known to be aggressive.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
If the 4 trainers who gave up on this dog were treat-clicker focused then Im not surprised they gave up on this dog as I had exactly the same problem with one of my Dobes. After finding the right trainer I got the dog of a lifetime, who is to say that the op wont get the same.

As Ive read it the trainer who was ill is now recovered and the OP is seeing them on Sunday unless you know different.

lady_annabelle

Visit site
How about you just grow up you act like a five year old no treat training does not work I am sorry if someone being ill is inconvient but unfortunatly us mere mortals do get ill. He is not viciouse as stated he does not like other dogs this something after much discussion that the trainer thinks will work and part of the problem is because he never meets other dogs. He has bitten ONCE it was a volatile situation and if he hadn't I would not of been happy as he was keeping me and my little boy safe you do not know the circumstances so do not comment I have more common sense having already discusses pts with the vet but he is the perfect dog with me my son and extended family he allows people into the house that I allow in again that is how I want him to be. Part of it is people's problem when they start screami because he is hyper not nasty and they mistake it as nastiness in turn turning a normal situation tense. As already stated I have full control of my dog and he has never been able to bite another dog or person when out and about or if I have ALLOWED them into my home. I hope this essay will satisfy your small brain

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
The dog has been seen by four trainers who won't take it on.

We get quite a few people who have been kicked out, been asked to leave or have who have observed little progress (but have still been relieved of cash) by other classes/trainers and have managed to help them and their dogs.

None of the dogs were overly aggressive or dangerous, just a bit pushy, or insecure, or who had been allowed to make all their own choices, the previous trainers were either scared of them or learned their trade from scientific papers, exams and books and had no idea what to do with a pushy/strong/not an 'out of a book' dog.
Some dogs sorted in one session, some a little longer, some owners not prepared to put the work in.

Pendlehog

Visit site
Yes it is we start next Sunday as he's not well at the moment but high hopes as long as its not a bred problem but doubt it is. So may be hope for him yet :)

Fantastic :) Is it GS you're using? He has been completely floored by food poisoning but looked much better today, hope he can help you out.