Dog urine burn patches on lawn

DW Team

Visit site
With our last dog he had teaspoon morning and evening in his food of tomato puree/paste and we had no burn patches or dead plants

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Never managed to stop the Lab bitch burning the lawn. However males are easy to sort...........but for male dogs, acquire a traffic cone and place it where you want the dog to urinate (mine is over a drain), so easy to wash down.

willhegofirst

Visit site
Tried Dog rocks, did absolutely nothing!!! Only thing I find works is either not to allow them to pee on the lawn, or tip a good watering can of water over each wee as soon as they do it, they are large dogs though.

katie4002

Visit site
Thanks all. I've seen the dog rocks but they are quite expensive and I didn't want to part with cash if they didn't work!! :rolleyes:

emma21

Visit site
I've just bought and put down miracle gro patch repair... It's meant to grow anywhere so hopefully should make it pretty again! And the dog has been banned from weeing in garden and instead is taken to drive to cock his leg lol

Wundahorse

Visit site
Never managed to stop the Lab bitch burning the lawn. However males are easy to sort...........but for male dogs, acquire a traffic cone and place it where you want the dog to urinate (mine is over a drain), so easy to wash down.

My boy Border Collie wee's like a girl so this wont work for him.However,the boys urine does not seem to burn the grass,just my girlie Lab.

stargirl88

Visit site
All my old landlords used to tell me to put a teaspoon of tomato sauce in their meals.... I never did ... but there could be SOME truth to it :D

Alternatively you could encourage her to pee in a certain spot?

Alec Swan

Visit site
I've always found that it's the urine from bitches which kills grass, but the urine from entire dogs actually acts as a fertiliser. All my dogs are entire, and I never have them castrated, so I wonder if it's the dogs which are castrated which are killing off grass. Castration seems to be a fairly popular practice on here, and quite genuinely, I'd be interested to hear of the experiences of others.

On our paddocks, and when the grass is short, we have grass in vibrant patches, hundreds of them, and when I discussed it with a knowledgable visitor, she said that the patches were where a mare had urinated.

Alec.

lula

Visit site
its the higher content of nitrogen in the Bitches' urine that is the problem but all dogs urine contains nitrogen. Bitches' apparently just have higher concentrate.
Nitrogen is a grass fertiliser but the amount is so concentrate from the bitch (and some dogs ) actually burns off the grass in the middle of the 'pee patch' abut you'll often notice a dark green grass ring around the burn where it has been fertilised and the grass has grown lush.
this looks ten times worse though as its like someone's drawn a ring around the burn with green highlighter pen just to make it stand out more!

i use 'Dog rocks' and a product called 'green um' from Pets @ Home which are chicken flavour Brewers's yeast based tablets dogs love that you feed once a day 2/3 tabs depending on the size of your dog.

i have no burn rings where before my lawn was an eye sore. Thats all i can tell you, for me it works.:)

Last edited:

katie4002

Visit site
Thanks again everyone. I will give the dog rocks a try. I was worried the dogs would eat them but I've just looked on their website and it says you can also put them in a jug and top up the bowl using the jug - sounds easier and will allow me to clean the bowl more than once every 2 months! x